284 win build?

lancloft

I was thinking of building a 284 win for a long range rig. I am looking for suggestions for the action, i would like to have at least a 3.0 inch OAL. Should i just build it on a long action?

I built one this year, it'a sweet caliber. Rem 700 Long action with a 28" Benchmark #4 and an HS stock. I'm loading the 168 Berger to 3.140" and getting about 2780fps with H3831sc. Good luck with your build!

Doug

Thanks for the input 168 gr bergers are what i had in mind. I figured i could get about 2800 fps. out of them and that is obviously achievable.

I am thinking of the weatherby vanguard for the action, since you can pick one up for $350, and manners makes a stock for them, timney makes a trigger and it has a better extractor than the rem 700. I know i could have a sako style extractor placed on a remi but this seems to more budget friendly.

I bought a used win 70 sa in 243 and a mcgowen 284 barrel removed the magazen bloch reground the bolt stop and replaced follower with a mauser reground the AOL is 3.2 inches I have noticed the short mag winchesters have this dun so parts mabe off the shelf

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.