284 win build w 195 berger

scottyd2506

I'm tinkering of having a (non improved)284 win built to shoot the 7mm 195 bergers.
What I want is something that isn't going to shoot out the barrel just as I get a load developed. I don't want a barrel burner 2600-2700 fps is ok
So I have a Remington 700 30-06 for a donor action,. Plan to purchase A 1:8 twist barrel (28-31 in) have a brake put on w a heavy varmint strait taper. Going to find a local smith. I'm looking for ideas. a place maybe to order a reamer say, one for 6.5x284 neckd up to 7mm or use win brass and have.
any ideas? anyone have a 284 built for the 195 bergers? open to ideas.

I had the same idea to shoot a slow high BC bullet for lower recoil, longer barrel life and more shots fired in a row before the barrel would heat up. At the time the 338 300 gr Berger fit the bill. I chose to long throat the 338 RCM and shoot it from a long action. While velocity is only a bit over 2500 fps, it performs as designed plus it doesn't have much wind drift and retains quite a bit of energy way out there. The barrel can shoot many rounds before accuracy deteriorates requiring cleaning.

I think it would be fun to give it a try with the 284 case. I'd use necked up 6.5-284 Lapua brass. You will most likely have to order a long throated reamer or find a gunsmith that is willing to use a regular 284 win reamer and then use a throating reamer.

You could always go to the 180s if the 195 doesn't satisfy. You may have already read this from another site, if not there is plenty you can use:

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Thanks AZ, I have read your results on your 338 RCM a few years back and was impressed.
I want this gun for 1000 yard pinking and for coyote hunting at long range also.
I have thought about a 338 win mag, 30-06 284 and 7mm rsaum (holds like 7 more grains than the strait 284) the saum brass is sky high at like $165 for 100 while 6.5-284 is much much less.. but more prep on necking up. I like the 195 berger 7mm, with a avg BC of .752 (3000-1500 fps) and it's a hunting bullet, so we have expansion in game, instead of a pinhole in and out and game running 20 miles before it dies.
I thought about sending my action to a reputable smith. as I know none around here. no smith hardly have 284 reamers, and none know about the chamber differences of 284 win and 284 using 2.5-284 Lapua brass. .. I'll probability have to get some brass and some 195 seat em and send it to some tool company to make me a reamer/throat dye
the coal should be around 3.2 3.3 inches.. thanks

Seems like the 180 would be a much better match. I dont see much improvement in performance with the 195s over the 180s until after 1000 yards with a 7 rem mag, and they are going 2850 out of that. If there were no penalty for using 195s Id say great, but they are going to be 150-200 fps slower which means they will punish any ranging error since they wont be as flat.

All that being said, they will still be awesome, and " just because I want to" is a valid enough reason!

With brass availability problems, why not just build a 7rm? All the brass you want, can load it down if you like, factory ammo available if you want, etc.

Also, what about the 300 norma slinging the 230hybrid? Might have slightly better barrel life than the 7s.

Seems like the 180 would be a much better match. I dont see much improvement in performance with the 195s over the 180s until after 1000 yards with a 7 rem mag, and they are going 2850 out of that. If there were no penalty for using 195s Id say great, but they are going to be 150-200 fps slower which means they will punish any ranging error since they wont be as flat.

All that being said, they will still be awesome, and " just because I want to" is a valid enough reason!

With brass availability problems, why not just build a 7rm? All the brass you want, can load it down if you like, factory ammo available if you want, etc.

I totally agree, the 180's would do as well or better under 1000, but the 195's are slower and use less powder = more barrel life, so I'm getting the same ballistics will less of a barrel burner w 195's at 2750 fps vs a 180 at 2900 fps (28-30 inch barrel using RE17)

7rm.. I' have a Rem 700 30-06 so the bolt face is out for 7rm. And 7rm you can load down. but you will use more powder to get the same fps than you would from a 06 case size. a 7-08 would be too slow w 195's 2200-2300 fps.
ps - if I had a 7rm I'd probably go w shooting the 180's till the barrel went out. since I'm starting from scratch 284.

Also, what about the 300 norma slinging the 230hybrid? Might have slightly better barrel life than the 7s.

I want a long range target gun AND a hunting gun, the 230 Hybrids w a .717 bc are good, but they are strictly target with thick jackets. not saying they can't kill game, but reports of thick jacket bullet that pencil through game and run 15 miles away. Even a coyote deserves quick kills IF you can help it.. I've shot a coyote w my m 70 300 wm 198 yards, w 150 sierra matchking.. it ran a long way.. shooting a thin skinned bullet out of my 25-06 they die before they hit the ground out to 400 yards or more.
thanks

Sounds good. I have loaded up a few long range accubonds, but havent tried them yet. Personally, I havent had any problems, all one shot stops with 7mm 180 hybrids but others have had problems.

Since you are going 7mm also consider the 162amax, they will expand at lower velocities well, and would be a good choice at distance. I would think they would be pretty explosive at close range. Wind drift difference probably less than 9-10 inches at 1000.

Let us know how the 195s do on game...i didnt get a chance to use them this year.

As far as the reamer gunsmith options...Greg Tannel of Gre' Tan rifles will do the chambering as you described with a body reamer and then a throat reamer. He builds all of his rifles that way.

You send him a dummy round with your brass and a bullet seated to wherever you'd like and he builds the gun to that. So you could seat the 195's as long or short as you'd want and tell him how much freebore you desire and he will make it happen. And it will be accurate as hell too.

I've looked into that sending the action (and maybe new barrel) to a smith in another state,
Think maybe ordering a 284 reamer and 7mm throat tool and and lend them to the local smiths around here. maybe have the action trued up a little, basically need a barrel put on chamberd/reamed, crown cut and brake installed.. bed my own action install my own Jewell trigger.
Any good places to order reamers?

Thanks AZ, I have read your results on your 338 RCM a few years back and was impressed.
6.5-284 is much much less.. but more prep on necking up.

There is virtually no prep necking up. Lube case, run it thru 284 FL size and bam done.

I bought a K&M mandrel in 277 and do an intermediate bump, but tha was just to make me feel better. Not needed at all.

I used 6.5-284 Norma brass not Lapua. The research I found showed more firings from Norma versus Lapua.

I've looked into that sending the action (and maybe new barrel) to a smith in another state,
Think maybe ordering a 284 reamer and 7mm throat tool and and lend them to the local smiths around here. maybe have the action trued up a little, basically need a barrel put on chamberd/reamed, crown cut and brake installed.. bed my own action install my own Jewell trigger.
Any good places to order reamers?

Norma is making 284 brass.

Shop the Norma 284W-100 - .284 Winchester Brass Cases, 100 Count at Bullets.com

If it was me I'd find gunsmith that know how to chamber 284 long action and has reamer for 6.5x284 Norma. That's how I had mine build and he used throating reamer. Don't get me wrong that I'm being cheap as I wanted someone with experience.

Well good luck

There is virtually no prep necking up. Lube case, run it thru 284 FL size and bam done.

I bought a K&M mandrel in 277 and do an intermediate bump, but tha was just to make me feel better. Not needed at all.

I used 6.5-284 Norma brass not Lapua. The research I found showed more firings from Norma versus Lapua.

No neck turning? I don't trust my mandrel will stretch my brass leaving me w/ uniform necks. The weakest point in that neck w/ give, not all at once.

I find the lapua/norma firings very odd. B/c I have some norma that I've gotten one firing from. Norma is notoriously soft, lapua is sought after and everything else is used when lapua can't be found (well for the most part).

I'm getting 2415 fps from my 7-08's with the 195, and 2850 from my 7WSM's. Shot a WT buck through both shoulders at about 100 meters with one this year, and found the bullet under the offside hide, weighing 62gr.

And IME, like ohiohunter, neck turning is often necessary when necking up and Lapua brass is generally harder and more durable than Norma.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.