284 Win build

JB Short

I am having a 284 Win built for a whitetail hunting rifle. I would like too shoot 150gr-175gr Accubonds as my shots will range from close out to 350 yrds so I don't want a frangible bullet like VLDs but will probably try them for longer range target shooting. Most shooters are loading for VLDs with this reamer, will I have seating depth issues trying to use the Accubonds? It will be a long action so no issues as far as COAL, but will I get close enough to the lands with the ABs if it is throated for VLDs? I also have the choice of 8.7 or 9 twist, which will work better with wide range of bullet weights?

Bearing surface of the bullet determines freebore. ABs have a long bearing surface, the 180 vld does also. The 180 hybrid is about .080" shorter. Most 284 reamers will be setup for the 180 hybrid as its standard in f-open. I do not see you having a problem shooting the vld at close range. Just dont shoot them in the meat, put them in the lungs. A long action is the right way to do a 284, you should bring a few dummy rounds to your gunsmith and he will throat it for a best all around set up

Accubonds will work great, but don't be concerned about using the Berger VLD or Hybrid bullets as they also work great and will likely be more accurate.

Why not buy your own reamer? Send in a dummy round with instructions on what you want. In addition to distance to lands you can select the best throat angle and neck dimension. With all the money spent on the custom rifle why not have the reamer as part of the package?

--------------------------------------
I built a 284 win in a SA Ruger tang safety with a useable 3.050" mag box. Had it setup to shoot 168 Berger VLDs. Send in dummy round with max OAL yet would fit and feed from magazine. Getting a velocity of 2825 fps using RL-17.

I requested the reamer have a .315" neck. (I use win brass and wanted to turn the necks) Also want asked for removeable pilot bushing.

Supplied dummy round to throat reamer for the bullet to engage the rifling .020"

Throat angle 2 degrees.

Last edited:
I'm shooting the 168 VLD's in mine at 2745 fps from a 24" barrel built on a long action Remington. I have dropped a couple rutted up whitetail bucks and a Blacktail buck with this load. None of them took more than a few steps and piled up. A high shoulder shot or a lung shot at this mild velocity works great with the hunting VLD's (even up close).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.