.284 cal 120 gr Ballistic Tip question

BoomFlop

What have you all experienced with lot to lot variance with these bullets? Are you doing a complete full load work up or back off slightly and work back up?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

What have you all experienced with lot to lot variance with these bullets? Are you doing a complete full load work up or back off slightly and work back up?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve

I usually load 4 to 5 rounds with current load and try them out, this way I don't waste a bunch of bullets. So far they have grouped the same.

The same goes for the 140gr CT Ballistic Silvertips.

Stay safe

Years ago, when Leupold/Stevens owned the major stake in Nosler, there was a transition in either the guiding metal formula or the lead/antimony content. Most 30 cal BT's grew an additional 1/16" in OAL.
What was safe with the previous Lot, became jammed into the rifling at the new dimension if the die wasn't adjusted accordingly. Luckily I always run a loaded round into the rifle to see if anything changed. The boxes were different, I still didn't measure the bullets until AFTER I stuck a bullet.
Since then, I have seen very little variance, but I only check comp bullets mostly these days.

Cheers.

There's a huge thread on this bullet somewhere, as far as I know it's the same outer jacket as the 140. But due to the lighter amount of lead in the core it has a thicker jacket than the 140 making it a little strong. Many people use this bullet on deer. I have shot it a few time out of my 7-08 but have switched to a 120 ttsx this year.

I'm well aware of the history of this bullet. I'm interested if everyone is seeing big lot to lot variances with it.

I ordered 500 of them to start.

Steve

There's a huge thread on this bullet somewhere, as far as I know it's the same outer jacket as the 140. But due to the lighter amount of lead in the core it has a thicker jacket than the 140 making it a little strong. Many people use this bullet on deer. I have shot it a few time out of my 7-08 but have switched to a 120 ttsx this year.

Yes, it's a tougher bullet tham the 140gr version and also the 140gr CT Ballistic Silvertip.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.