Nosler .270 170 gr Ballistic Tip

Unfortunately, I have been down with severe stenosis and arthritis plus a sciatica outbreak. I had epidural shot that didn't help. So working with pain doc for next steps. I was able to shoot a velocity ladder in backyard but just cannot hardly walk with issues right now so walking any distance on range is off table.🤬

I do expect the 170BT to shoot fine at distance. My go to is still the 156HH but playing with loads just fun. Especially to show that the .270Win is completely different cartridge with fast twist and just as important sufficient magazine space to allow seating bullet out.

Unfortunately, I have been down with severe stenosis and arthritis plus a sciatica outbreak. I had epidural shot that didn't help. So working with pain doc for next steps. I was able to shoot a velocity ladder in backyard but just cannot hardly walk with issues right now so walking any distance on range is off table.🤬

I do expect the 170BT to shoot fine at distance. My go to is still the 156HH but playing with loads just fun. Especially to show that the .270Win is completely different cartridge with fast twist and just as important sufficient magazine space to allow seating bullet out.
I hope you feel better soon.

I've been shooting them for a bit now and they are shooting very accurately in my 270ss. I actually am visiting Texas right now and found a few pigs last night that did not approve of them! They did very well terminally between 100 and 300 yards so far. Shot steel during the day to 700 and the advertised bc held up to what was advertised.

I've been shooting them for a bit now and they are shooting very accurately in my 270ss. I actually am visiting Texas right now and found a few pigs last night that did not approve of them! They did very well terminally between 100 and 300 yards so far. Shot steel during the day to 700 and the advertised bc held up to what was advertised.
What twist barrel are you using them in?

I have a custom heavy barrel 270 Win, with a 29 inch Heavy Hart barrel, with an 8 twist. Can you share a load for the 170 Grn Bullets. I have Bergers. I use a lot of H 4831SC in my 270 Win Hunting Rifle and My 270 Weatherby mag Hunting rifle. Any suggestions would be Great!!! Thanks , Lenny

I've only shot heavies with RL26 but RL 23 which have been a nice surprise. RL 23 actually shot somewhat close in velocity about 50-75 fps slower but at that speed no biggie. I think the H4831SC will do well.

This is interesting since I was thinking the 270BT might be good for elk. Nosler doesn't think so. I am also at top end of velocity for bullet expansion it seems. This should be good for another 5 pages.

CF420877-A2DE-49BF-9A5A-F8FCD7C06C54.png

Muddyboots,
Was that page you screenshot above specific to the 170 .277 BT, or just a generic discussion of BT application in general. I tend to concur with you that unless this particular 170 BT has a thinner than normal jacket it ought to be a fine elk bullet. Certainly as good as the ELD-X that many have been using lately.
I have read many good reports of elk success with the .308 BT of 165 grains and above.

Cheers,
Rex

[EDIT] - Never mind - I found it on Nosler's website. Just a generic reference to the Ballistic Tip, not referencing any particular size/weight.

Last edited:
So if you compare a 130BT@3100fps (BC 0.433) at 600 yards to the 170BT@3000fps (BC 0.560) the differential is obvious. Using Hornady App, I took some screenshots:
130BT:
0C33F4BD-C766-491E-AB10-BE85E871C38C.jpeg

The 170BT:
3A077A52-013F-4D5B-A88A-82F478FE8ADD.png

The energy is almost 600lbs difference and even if you add more velocity to the 130, it really doesn't close the gap much. Which comes back to why I hunt with the 156HH @3200 fps. It has almost 1800 ftlbs at 600 yards.

156HH:
9413C2DE-79A7-49C8-AF06-EBD706E38FC4.png

Fast twist .270Win wholly different cartridge when shooting heavies and is definitely a great elk cartridge with the heavies IMO.

Last edited: