280 AI

I have a 22inch bartlein.

Nosler Factory 140 ballistic tip: 3,200 fps

130 Absolute Hammers were low 3,300's with Staball 6.5 and H100V.

140 Absolute Hammer: 3,275 fps

I tried H4350, Hybrid100v, Staball 6.5 and Hunter.

All of them were landing between 3,200-3,300. H4350 would have been my pick. I here reports of 3,400 fps with H100V. Definitely wasn't my experience……

150's we're around 3,050-3,150 fps with Staball 6.5. Eldx's had the best velocity and accuracy. Sciroccos we're less accurate and pressured up faster.

175 Woodleighs were 2850-2900 with H1000. RL26 was a little bit faster, not really noticeable.

Now, where I landed with this rifle was a 119 Absolute Hammer at 3,488 fps using Staball 6.5. It's a deer slaying machine. I use it for 400 yards and in. I zero at 300 and hold dead on to 350. The load falls flat at longer range because I get extreme spreads up to 80fps. The case fill is relatively low. 100 yard accuracy is an extremely consistent 3/8 of an inch. I'm using a magnum primer.

What I noticed about this particular barrel is that lead core bullets shoot faster….typically in line with a 24inch barrel. Copper bullets pressure out faster and I get lower than expected velocities. My smith thinks it may be because the barrel is exactly on or slightly below diameter.

Currently, I have some badlands 140's and 150's coming as well as the 151 Cayuga. I'll post about them when I get some load work up.

RL26 works with bullet weights from 140-180. It's pretty magical stuff in the Ackley. I don't think you need to ho on the hunt for powder. If you do though, the much overlooked Ramshot Hunter is probably the all around best powder for this caliber.

with 145 Barnes long range tipped bullets I've gotten 3125 FPS with R-19 with a 24" barrel. Groups are under 1 MOA for 5 shots. Drop down to 3050 FPS and the groups are under 1/2 MOA. I've found my Browning X bolt does not like max loads like my custom rifles. I now have three of them in the 280 AI and it seems to be the case with all three.
Same bullet, I have safely achieved 3,175 with Hunter. I don't doubt you one but.

I am a very basic reloader and just about ready to start some loads for my weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 280ai. The two powders i have on hand to try are 7828ssc and rl23. I really anticipated the 7828ssc was the better choice but reading this thread it looks like there are a lot rl23 fans. If you were me, understanding that i am a basic reloader, which powder should i start with?
7828ssc is going to be optimal in the 140-160 weight class. It will almost certainly be faster with a 140 grain bullet.

The downside to 7828sc (likely RL23 as well), is that they are not very temperature stable. You could work up a load that shoots really well but us near the upper limits of pressure and be pumped. Then, you take that sane load out on hot summer day and be flattening primers, getting ejector marks and some sticky bolt lift.

So if you're new, I would actually steer you towards three powders for the 280AI:

H4350 for 120-140 grain bullets
H4831sc 145-160 grain bullets
H1000 168-180 grain bullets.

While they may not be the absolute fastest possible powder……they will get you inside of 100fps of the fastest powder in the reloading manual for whatever bullet you are using.

I look for a couple things:

1. I want to use a powder that gets my case either mostly full or slightly compressed without going over pressure.

This seems to keep extreme spreads down and maintain consistent accuracy.

2. A powder that is temperature stable.

If you cannot get ahold of these powders. Ramshot Hunter is an extremely good powder for the 280 AI and most people overlook it. It's going to fill your case and at the upper end, compress a little (which I like). It has always been very accurate for me and consistent. It also meters very well because it's a ball powder.

It tends to be the fastest powder too.

The downside is that it's temperature stability is just average. Not terrible like RL19 but not excellent like H1000 or H4350 either.

AZ82NEW - Very interesting that you would stick with a load producing ES of 80 fps. I would run away from that powder bullet combo. I really don't chase extreme velocity. Consistency is my sweet spot.
It's been really accurate. I don't trust it past 400 yards though.

Because that powder gets such great velocity in the ackley, I'm waiting on the 150's from badlands. I'm hoping I can stuff them down far enough into the case to get some compression in order to even out the load.

I have multiple other rifles for longer range stuff. The ackley is on a HS precision classic hunting style stock with a short barrel. It comes right up to the shoulder and feels pretty handy. Perfect for deer in Oregon or Minnesota. It's not a long range rifle so I'm pretty content with the load.

I've built loads up past max to stiff bolts and blown primers. Typically the best accuracy is 1.5gr or so below those. None of my usable loads is at maximum-all below. I don't shoot past 400 yards on deer and 600 yards on elk. Actually never needed to. I consider those ranges long.

I am in low to mid 2800's with RL23 and 175 Berger Elite Hunters. 24" barrel. Use Peterson brass and 210m primers. Was struggling to get load prior to western hunt. Tried the 175 and got great groups. Had some speed data from prior attempts with this combo. Found that seating depth was the limiting factor on previous loads. Got 3 consistent groups in .3's. Was only left with 18 bullets to sight in and hunt. 175 EH is impossible to find right now.I have owned 4 280 AI's. I have decided to not worry about speed and use the heavier bullets. I used to chase speed with 140g -160g bullets. Thought about going with longer barrel many times. Shot a Mule Deer at 200y and Whitetail at 350y with this combo this year. Great accuracy and terminal performance. Hate to sound boring on the speed question but I feel that I have finally figured out that speed is one of the least important factors in my hunting situations. All this said, I am not a true LR Hunter. I get weak in the knees at shots much over 400y. Speed may be crucial to you experienced folks shooting over 500y.
Blue Collar Reloading had some in stock earlier today

I've built loads up past max to stiff bolts and blown primers. Typically the best accuracy is 1.5gr or so below those. None of my usable loads is at maximum-all below. I don't shoot past 400 yards on deer and 600 yards on elk. Actually never needed to. I consider those ranges long.
Accurized R700, Bartlein #5 5R, 26":
I suspect my 62.3g RE23 load MAY be pushing it. I didn't try further as the group began to open up and I had no pressure indications at work up.

That said, 500y w/ either of these loads is MY max on elk/deer.

Shot a Colorado cow at the neck/shoulder junction last Dec. w/ the 3326 fps load.
254y DRT. INSTANT dirt nap.

I suspect either of the 60.5 load would have the same effect given the shot placement.....don't think she would notice the 164 ft./lb. difference.

I had a few 62.3g rounds left over from testing and decided to us them.
Haven't used them in hot weather. Probably won't.

Hard to argue w/ 2237 fps, 1589 ft. lbs. at 500y and .529 MOA .

Powder Gr. Bullet Grain COAL Ogive Brass Primer Vel. MOA
RE 2362.3Hammer Hunter 1/8 crimp1432.730-0.027NoslerFed 21533260.961
RE 2360.5Hammer Hunter No crimp1432.730-0.027NoslerFed 21532250.529
Normal disclaimer...use safe reloading practices & work up in your rifle, These loads are safe in MINE and may NOT be in yours.

I have a 22inch bartlein.

Nosler Factory 140 ballistic tip: 3,200 fps

130 Absolute Hammers were low 3,300's with Staball 6.5 and H100V.

140 Absolute Hammer: 3,275 fps

I tried H4350, Hybrid100v, Staball 6.5 and Hunter.

All of them were landing between 3,200-3,300. H4350 would have been my pick. I here reports of 3,400 fps with H100V. Definitely wasn't my experience……

150's we're around 3,050-3,150 fps with Staball 6.5. Eldx's had the best velocity and accuracy. Sciroccos we're less accurate and pressured up faster.

175 Woodleighs were 2850-2900 with H1000. RL26 was a little bit faster, not really noticeable.

Now, where I landed with this rifle was a 119 Absolute Hammer at 3,488 fps using Staball 6.5. It's a deer slaying machine. I use it for 400 yards and in. I zero at 300 and hold dead on to 350. The load falls flat at longer range because I get extreme spreads up to 80fps. The case fill is relatively low. 100 yard accuracy is an extremely consistent 3/8 of an inch. I'm using a magnum primer.

What I noticed about this particular barrel is that lead core bullets shoot faster….typically in line with a 24inch barrel. Copper bullets pressure out faster and I get lower than expected velocities. My smith thinks it may be because the barrel is exactly on or slightly below diameter.

Currently, I have some badlands 140's and 150's coming as well as the 151 Cayuga. I'll post about them when I get some load work up.

RL26 works with bullet weights from 140-180. It's pretty magical stuff in the Ackley. I don't think you need to ho on the hunt for powder. If you do though, the much overlooked Ramshot Hunter is probably the all around best powder for this caliber.
I f I where you change to a L R Standard primer with the Hammer bullet and you will increase the powder charge several grains increasing velocity. I switched all my loads from mag too L R primers in non mag case capacity's with a substantial velocity increase before pressuring out ,especially with the absolute Hammers , but it will apply too all in the 280 ai.