280 AI vs. 6.5 Sherman?

wilkup

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a lightweight rifle on a standard long action and was leaning heavily towards a 280AI until recently…
Haven't bought the barrel yet, so there's still time and this gun wouldn't be ready until next years season anyway.
I've always been intrigued by the mystique of the 280AI but have owned actually the 6.5 Sherman which shot shockingly well with a simple Bartlein barrel upgrade.
I'm a simple, one rifle guy and this rifle would be tasked with all my big game hunting in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in central Washington.
Anybody out there have both? Shot both?
I'm not a true long range hunter, 600 yards has been my self imposed maximum range on game for a long time.
I love the Hammer Bullets and this rifle will likely be fed a steady diet in the Absolute flavor.
If I went Ackley I'd load up the 140gr Absolute to go shoot it all. Seems there's a few guys pushing that bullet at ~3400' in 22" barrels.
For the Sherman I think the 123/129gr Abaolute would also be a fantastic bullet for everything out there and estimate I'd be in that same velocity range as the Ackley.
I'd like to keep barrel length to 22-23" to keep it handy and easier packing in the timber, especially with the potential for a muzzle brake being attached to the end.
I suspect either would have the juice to hammer elk and down out to 600, but just curious what y'all think.

Last edited:
Or have both by doing a 280 Sherman. Its your 6.5 necked up and adds about 50' to the A.I.
Also considered but what's the resizing process?
I remember the 6.5 being really simple. Bush a 270 case down, fireform and viola!
The 280 Sherman is tempting but I'd guess it's more involved then just buying Peterson 280AI and putting my loads together… 🤷‍♂️

Apparently this itch needs to be scratched…
Almost exactly 2 years later and I'm still suffering from indecision 🤣

Last edited:
I have been using the 140gr Absolute in my .280 Rem (3240fps, 24"bbl) the last couple of years.

Results on game have been fantastic - massive internal trauma and yet very little meat damage. To me, Hammers seem to be in a class of their own.

Of all the Absolutes, that particular bullet seems to sacrifice very little BC relative to other Absolutes (which seem to take a bit of a hit in the BC department compared to Hammer Hunters of similar weight).

I'm not saying BC is a big deal, but out past 500 it can make a noticeable difference in retained velocity.

As a result, with my .280 I have been dual loading with 175gr Berger Elite Hunters for the longer opportunities.

Based on what I have seen with the 140's I wonder if the .277 156gr Hammer Hunter may offer even MORE consistent performance near to far.

In the constant quest to refine my skills and tools I decided to put together a .270WSM - wondering if I can realize not just a 1 gun, but a 1 bullet solution from Plains all the way to the Alpine.

Have you considered the 270 Sherman? I know you are a .270 fan, and I understand wanting something 'different'.

Ultimately this discussion amounts to splitting hairs, and what works best for my 'use case' might not be ideal for yours... Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Also considered but what's the resizing process?
I remember the 6.5 being really simple. Bush a 270 case down, fireform and viola!
The 280 Sherman is tempting but I'd guess it's more involved then just buying Peterson 280AI and putting my loads together… 🤷‍♂️

Apparently this itch needs to be scratched…
Almost exactly 2 years later and I'm still suffering from indecision 🤣
The only difference is that you have to open the neck up before sizing down like with the 6.5….that's it. Open it up with a 30cal die then size it down to 280. 1 extra step…one time for fire forming, then you're done until you get new brass.

The only difference is that you have to open the neck up before sizing down like with the 6.5….that's it. Open it up with a 30cal die then size it down to 280. 1 extra step…one time for fire forming, then you're done until you get new brass.
The gain experienced jumping from Ackley to Sherman wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Peterson makes excellent fully formed/stamped brass and non custom dies are also inexpensive and easily obtainable.
On the other hand, the 6.5mm version offers a definite performance jump over the old 6.5-06 wildcat. That juice is absolutely worth the squeeze for me.

I have been using the 140gr Absolute in my .280 Rem (3240fps, 24"bbl) the last couple of years.

Results on game have been fantastic - massive internal trauma and yet very little meat damage. To me, Hammers seem to be in a class of their own.

Of all the Absolutes, that particular bullet seems to sacrifice very little BC relative to other Absolutes (which seem to take a bit of a hit in the BC department compared to Hammer Hunters of similar weight).

I'm not saying BC is a big deal, but out past 500 it can make a noticeable difference in retained velocity.

As a result, with my .280 I have been dual loading with 175gr Berger Elite Hunters for the longer opportunities.

Based on what I have seen with the 140's I wonder if the .277 156gr Hammer Hunter may offer even MORE consistent performance near to far.

In the constant quest to refine my skills and tools I decided to put together a .270WSM - wondering if I can realize not just a 1 gun, but a 1 bullet solution from Plains all the way to the Alpine.

Have you considered the 270 Sherman? I know you are a .270 fan, and I understand wanting something 'different'.

Ultimately this discussion amounts to splitting hairs, and what works best for my 'use case' might not be ideal for yours... Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Is your 280 a standard chamber or the Ackley?
I'd love to hear of your experiences with on game performance from those Absolute 140 grainers. I'm a Hammer customer for life. They've never let me down and have always punched way out of their weight class for me. I have yet to monkey with the Absolute line of bullets but the standard Hunters have been excellent.

I really like the easy button of the 280ai. I went down the same path last year and ultimately decided to have the 280ai built. The fact that I had a good supply of 7mm bullets and suitable powder pushed me toward the decision. Scored some Peterson brass and Redding dies and just hope that I get the call soon that the rifle is ready. Good luck and in the end it really doesn't matter which direction you go.

For me it would be the 280 of some flavor without question. The 6.5 is going to top out at 153 grain bullet or something close and the 280 gives you have options to 195 grains. On the low side you can go down around 100 with a 6.5 and 120 with the 280. To me, not being a Hammer die hard shooter, I want flexibility and options. I would run an 8.5 or so twist on the 280 and be done.

6.5 Sherman is a great round - I'm shooting 156 Bergers at 3170 pretty comfortably out of my 26" barrel. Forming cases isn't too bad, just an extra step in the process. Go with some Peterson brass and you won't be forming cases very often.

For a 1 rifle guy i would lean towards 7mm as others have said. Rich has lots of good offerings in 7mm that are pretty simple, efficient, and powerful. But nothing wrong with 280AI either. My new favorite is the 28SM. Basically a 7mm-300PRCai. To stick entirely to your 2 choices, definitely the 280.

For me it would be the 280 of some flavor without question. The 6.5 is going to top out at 153 grain bullet or something close and the 280 gives you have options to 195 grains. On the low side you can go down around 100 with a 6.5 and 120 with the 280. To me, not being a Hammer die hard shooter, I want flexibility and options. I would run an 8.5 or so twist on the 280 and be done.
I'd go faster twist than 8.5. Gives you more bullet options. I went 7.5 in my 280 AI. Some of these monos require very fast twists.