280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

It's all about relativity. There's always gonna be a faster horse, better looking woman, or richer man.

If money is tight and you're getting sub-moa. Then, just compete against yourself and the wind.

If you can get it to continue to hold MOA at increasing distances with the center of the groups centered on target, then you're doing a good job and you won't have far to go when you've saved up enough to get the rifle done up right.

Like WildRose stated, you shouldn't expect exceptional results from a "***" barrel. Nonetheless, you might try a different bullet. The only thing you have to lose is barrel life.

-- richard

I have only built one rifle with a douglas barrel. It took me three hours to get the outside of the barrel polished, dang thing started out looking like it was threaded. After a lot of polishing it started looking pretty good. The barrel cut good and it was straight when I looked through it while it was spinning in the lathe.

It came out looking like this.

IMAG0068.jpg

The first group looked like this.
06AI.jpg

I did not think it was too bad for a douglas barrel, but I will never buy another. I have to preface this as the barrel was bought second hand and was probably 20 years old when I bought it.

Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty Up DATE

I got good news to tell. After lead lapping the barrel she is smooth. I don't have any more copper fouling. I picked up 100 fps. I changed bullets to 162 A-Max and 168 VLD. The load is 56g H4831sc 2750fps. Any more and the primers flatten. While testing loans and bullet jump I got three 3 shot groups that were .480 , .790, .425. My last group of the day with 162 A-Max at. .025 off the lands was 5 shots. The first four were in one hole at .400 then I choked and pulled the last one out .500. It doesn't look like I am going to get the velocity I would like but I am happy with the groups now. I have some R-17 and R-22 that I will try the next time out and see how they do. I really wanted to shoot the 140 to 150g bullets but I just can get them to shoot good. I could only get just under MOA with 154sst and 162 sst but the 168 VLD did good but I will have to load them single shot. 162 A-max is going to be the way to go. I can do like I did in my 1&7 twist Mini-14, shooting 180 A-max Load single shot with the tip on and load the mag with the plastic tip cut off. It doesn't make any difference with the tip on or off at 200 yards with the Mini. I will have to test and see how this 280 ack. will do at the longer ranges. Thanks for your support. :)

TmWhip i just got my ackly shooting well i had the same problem as far as velocity goes. I tried Rl 17 ,19,22 and Rl 17 was fast accuracy was bad, then i tried h4831sc, h4350 retumbo H1000 still no velocity..around 2750...I then tried Ramshots Magnum and wow 3000 fps with a nice ob-long group, and no pressure, now im shooting the 162 a-maxes out to 1450 and holding 1/2 moa..Retumbo worked best with 168s. Hoped this helps.

...I then tried Ramshots Magnum and wow 3000 fps with a nice ob-long group said:
Good idea. My 270 WSM really likes Ramshot Magnum also, getting 3118 fps ave.... with 150g ABs. .7 groups don't hurt either. It's my hunting load.

Well I have less than 10 shots left in the bottle of H4831sc. I really like the extreme powders. I do have a bottle of Ram Shot Hunter. I will try the Hunter,R-19, R-22. Before I buy the Magnum. Thanks for the tip. What was your load?

Well I have less than 10 shots left in the bottle of H4831sc. I really like the extreme powders. I do have a bottle of Ram Shot Hunter. I will try the Hunter,R-19, R-22. Before I buy the Magnum. Thanks for the tip. What was your load?

70.3 is the accuracy load over WLRM primers in the WSM.

wow your getting sub 1" groups with a douglas!!!

Thats really good

Wow, i have actually had very good luck with Douglas over the years. never seen a rough one never had a bad one they run good in the lathe way better than Shilen barrels do. Just had one go well over 3000 rounds in a 600 yard target Remington 700 rifle for a customer here in town and wants another one put on. while i was on vacation he had another smith inst. a Pac-Nor and is sending the barrel back to them after 300 rounds looks washed out. i know there are many better barrels out there but i have had good luck with them. every Douglas or Shilen or A&B is lapped with JB and Flitz and had worked well i have also had extremely good luck with the cheap Adams and Bennett and Green Mountain barrels and have found it very easy to get one to shoot 3/4" to 1/2" with hand loads in mainly Mauser actions. i actually did a Green Mountain on a Savage target action for a customer in 6.5x55 match and he is shooting in the .327 range at 100 yards and shooting very well at 600 yrds too. go figure!!!!!!!

Unfortunately you'd probably be money and time ahead by sending it to Hart or Kreiger instead.
That is what I have been thinking about doing. Letting the barrel maker install it into the action is the best way to go. I wanted to do that to start with. The only problem is I have not worked in a long time and money is really tight. I may have to sell something first. Money was the reason I got the Douglas in the first place. My buddy did not charge me for installing and chambering and I got the barrel at his cost. I have had Douglas barrels before and they shot good after breakend. Out of desperation. Yesterday I lead lapped it and it does look better but the chips in the rifleing are there and are never going to come out. I am going to see how it does before I send it off.

Call Sin-arms. He has Lothar Walther barrels for $275. I have been very pleased with my Lothar barrel. I bought mine factory direct in Stainless with added features, so it was a little more than direct replacement barrel.

Tank

I'm using the Ramshot Hunter in my .308 Winny using 200grn SGK. I am getting and average of 2670fps during pressure testing. Accuracy isn't there yet, but going to play with depth next time around at longer ranges. I was going to suggest Ram Magnum.

Tank

Re: 280 Ackley accuracty Up DATE

I got good news to tell. After lead lapping the barrel she is smooth. I don't have any more copper fouling. I picked up 100 fps. I changed bullets to 162 A-Max and 168 VLD. The load is 56g H4831sc 2750fps. Any more and the primers flatten. While testing loans and bullet jump I got three 3 shot groups that were .480 , .790, .425. My last group of the day with 162 A-Max at. .025 off the lands was 5 shots. The first four were in one hole at .400 then I choked and pulled the last one out .500. It doesn't look like I am going to get the velocity I would like but I am happy with the groups now. I have some R-17 and R-22 that I will try the next time out and see how they do. I really wanted to shoot the 140 to 150g bullets but I just can get them to shoot good. I could only get just under MOA with 154sst and 162 sst but the 168 VLD did good but I will have to load them single shot. 162 A-max is going to be the way to go. I can do like I did in my 1&7 twist Mini-14, shooting 180 A-max Load single shot with the tip on and load the mag with the plastic tip cut off. It doesn't make any difference with the tip on or off at 200 yards with the Mini. I will have to test and see how this 280 ack. will do at the longer ranges. Thanks for your support. :)[/QUOTE

Another Up date. It was a beautiful day sunny 78 degrees 10mph tail wind. I loaded some more H4831 56g and the 162 a-max and shot them into one big hole at 100 yards. The Velocity was a little slower today than last time out. It was running around 2700 fps. I set a target out at 300 yards and shot a 1 1/2" group.
Then I thought I would try some R-22. At 57g the primers started to flatten. They went 2805,2769,2784 fps the three shot group went .500 at 100 yards. The rifle is shooting pretty good now with those two powders and bullet combo. I am very pleased. I sure wish I could get a little more speed but I just may have to live with what I got. I am out of H4831sc I know it shoots good. I can't make my mind up to try H1000, Ram shot magnum or just stick with the H4831.

Re: 280 Ackley accuracty Up DATE

I got good news to tell. After lead lapping the barrel she is smooth. I don't have any more copper fouling. I picked up 100 fps. I changed bullets to 162 A-Max and 168 VLD. The load is 56g H4831sc 2750fps. Any more and the primers flatten. While testing loans and bullet jump I got three 3 shot groups that were .480 , .790, .425. My last group of the day with 162 A-Max at. .025 off the lands was 5 shots. The first four were in one hole at .400 then I choked and pulled the last one out .500. It doesn't look like I am going to get the velocity I would like but I am happy with the groups now. I have some R-17 and R-22 that I will try the next time out and see how they do. I really wanted to shoot the 140 to 150g bullets but I just can get them to shoot good. I could only get just under MOA with 154sst and 162 sst but the 168 VLD did good but I will have to load them single shot. 162 A-max is going to be the way to go. I can do like I did in my 1&7 twist Mini-14, shooting 180 A-max Load single shot with the tip on and load the mag with the plastic tip cut off. It doesn't make any difference with the tip on or off at 200 yards with the Mini. I will have to test and see how this 280 ack. will do at the longer ranges. Thanks for your support. :)[/QUOTE

Another Up date. It was a beautiful day sunny 78 degrees 10mph tail wind. I loaded some more H4831 56g and the 162 a-max and shot them into one big hole at 100 yards. The Velocity was a little slower today than last time out. It was running around 2700 fps. I set a target out at 300 yards and shot a 1 1/2" group.
Then I thought I would try some R-22. At 57g the primers started to flatten. They went 2805,2769,2784 fps the three shot group went .500 at 100 yards. The rifle is shooting pretty good now with those two powders and bullet combo. I am very pleased. I sure wish I could get a little more speed but I just may have to live with what I got. I am out of H4831sc I know it shoots good. I can't make my mind up to try H1000, Ram shot magnum or just stick with the H4831.

when i built mine i used a 26 3/4" Shilen #4 for some flat western hunting hogs,deer etc. i had a heck of a time with that barrel. it wouldn't group till i had 3 down the tube and after 9 the groups would open up. i always blamed it on a tight barrel and it's an 8 groove Shilen and i have only seen 6 grooved barrels from them for a long time now!!! after a while it settled in and shoots great. with 55-56 gr. of RL-22 and 162 Hornady BTSPs and Fed 210 primers it shoots around 2850 as i remember and shoots 1/2" with no problems and also likes the 160 gr. Speer Mag-Tips too. it's on a Interarms Whitworth action and a Richards micro-fit AAA stock. i have taken Hogs at Tejon Ranch with it at 582 yrds. 423 yrds. 350 yrds and 250 yrds. great gun i just built a lighter version for use here in Orygun with a SS 22" Pac-Nor 5 groove barrel and Interarms MKx action and another Richards stock we will see how she does soon i am right in the middle of building a new gunsmithing shop and have been too busy to get out and shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.