280 Ackley Imp seating depth for ABLR

BriKW

Those of you who are currently loading the Nosler ABLR in the 280 ackley Imp, and you are getting good accuracy, what seeting depth did you end up with.

I havent received my custom back from my smith yet, but when I do I'm just kind of currious what the ovet all average concerning seeting depth is.

I plan to start about .015 off the lands and work my way back from there once I settle on a powder. Right now it looks like I will start with H4831sc, and IMR7828ssc. Accubonds will be the 150gn flavor of course in the LR variety.

I don't have a .280 AI (yet), and I don't shoot ABLR's... But I can say that by starting at .015" off the lands and with 7828 SSC, you're on the right track.

I seated the 150 lrab in my 280AI at 15 thousandths and the accuracy was there, so I didn't mess with it...I think that's a good place to start. I had the best accuracy with H4831sc, but best velocities and slightly less accuracy with RL17. I'm now working on a load with the hornady 162gr eldx, have also shot the berger 168vld with good results.

I seated the 150 lrab in my 280AI at 15 thousandths and the accuracy was there, so I didn't mess with it...I think that's a good place to start. I had the best accuracy with H4831sc, but best velocities and slightly less accuracy with RL17. I'm now working on a load with the hornady 162gr eldx, have also shot the berger 168vld with good results.

What did your accuracy look like with R17? Thats another powder I have that is a possability for use. I also have some H4831sc and R26.

What did your accuracy look like with R17? Thats another powder I have that is a possability for use. I also have some H4831sc and R26.

Accuracy with the RL17 was between 0.5 and 0.75 moa, with the H4831sc being more consistently at the 0.5moa. I did choose the RL17 for my hunting load, it was plenty accurate for hunting. The RL17 was giving me about 75-85 fps more than the H4831sc.

I haven't seen a lot of information out there in the regard of shooters using R26 in the 280 Ackley Imp. There is a little chatter about it, but not a lot as I could find. I will give it a try and document my results as I'm sure I can't be the only person interested in this combo.

I feel there are probably some real possibilities with this powder in the 160gn and up weight class.

I am Loading rl26 in my sons 280AI. 60 grains shooting 160 grain nolser accubond. Shoots 1/2 moa at 2950 fps, 25 inch barrel.

I'm using RL26 with the 168 grain bullets. Both Berger VLD Hunting and Barns LRX in the 168 grain variety. With those bullets, I will see pressure at about 2950 fps in a 24" barrel, but only slightly.

I have some 150 grain ABLR, but haven't tried them yet. But I do understand they may like a lot of jump.

I'm using RL26 with the 168 grain bullets. Both Berger VLD Hunting and Barns LRX in the 168 grain variety. With those bullets, I will see pressure at about 2950 fps in a 24" barrel, but only slightly.

I have some 150 grain ABLR, but haven't tried them yet. But I do understand they may like a lot of jump.

Considering the 150gn LRAB, and the length of the bullet, my initial thought was that they would lean a little more to wanting to be seated at or into the lands. Hearing they may like a bit of a jump is interesting because one thing I do worry about is being beyond mag length when I find a good accuracy node when performing a ladder test.

I will be starting 15 thou off the lands and @ book minimum charge coming up .5 gn for each round until I hit book max. May go .5 higher than book max if pressure looks good.

I shoot a 280AI. I burned up a whole box of the 150 LRAB and could not find the sweet spot to make them shoot better than an inch at 100 yds., so I gave up on them. My "GO-TO" load for my rifle is with RL26 powder though. . .it has made my 280AI and several other calibers really come alive with low pressures and cooler burning - I LOVE IT ! ! !

Norma 280 brass
162 gr. A-Max
62 gr. RL26
Fed GM215 primer
COAL 2.735" to ogive
3140FPS w/26" tube 1/9 twist
3/8"- 1/2" @ 100 yds.
ES 15 SD 6

Good luck on your LRAB quest, it is a good bullet, just wish my rifle liked them.

I shoot a 280AI. I burned up a whole box of the 150 LRAB and could not find the sweet spot to make them shoot better than an inch at 100 yds., so I gave up on them. My "GO-TO" load for my rifle is with RL26 powder though. . .it has made my 280AI and several other calibers really come alive with low pressures and cooler burning - I LOVE IT ! ! !

Norma 280 brass
162 gr. A-Max
62 gr. RL26
Fed GM215 primer
COAL 2.735" to ogive
3140FPS w/26" tube 1/9 twist
3/8"- 1/2" @ 100 yds.
ES 15 SD 6

Good luck on your LRAB quest, it is a good bullet, just wish my rifle liked them.

If I can not get the LRAB to fly right, then I will have to find another pill to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts