28 Nosler...

I currently have a 28 Nosler, so far I am pushing the 180 gr. berger at 3115fps with
RL 26 @ 76.3 gr. so far the combination is showing some real promise.

I'm having a 28 Nosler built --- should be back mid to late May.
Been thinking about the 175 ABLR, and 195 EOL....
Seem like most folks are running Retumbo and RL33/50.
Should be interesting for me.... 28in 1-8 brux plus a Vias brake.
Thinking Retumbo or a *****ton of RL50 would be a good choice with the 195s.

Also noteworthy is the 195 didn't shoot very well at 100 yards but did very well further out once it stabilized.

I have only been playing with my 28 Nosler for about 3 months but so far it's very impressive.
Average group with 160 Accubond & RL 25 hovers around 0.30".
Now I need to shake the cobwebs off the chrony

First post

Looking for info on the 28. I like what Christensen is doing in their rifles but have reservations about the big 180/195 VLDs being able to fit the mag and chamber with out jamming the lands if/when the COAL increases.

Christensen won't give me any data and quotes SAAMI specs but I have read that their internal mag is around 3.717.

Any of you guys think I'll have an issue with loading a long round through one of their 28s, mag and throat?

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn,

I ordered a 28 from Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifle out of Lansing IA. He uses a Wyatts Extended Box. He also has a custom reamer made specifically for the 195gr Berger so you can seat the bullet out further gaining case capacity, allowing you to push that big pill faster. I am running a COAL of 3.753" and these rounds fit in the internal box just fine. For the price of a Christensen I'd give Ryan a call or at least look him up, he's a LRH sponsor. You can get the majority of the info for the gun on this thread I'm going to link you. He also puts a lot of his rigs and results on Facebook just search his name. He built my first custom rig (this .28) and from what I've seen in the month I've had the gun I think he'll be building me several more.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/28-nosler-195-berger-re33-testing-159270/

Anyone using 180 hybrids & 180 scenars with Retumbo? I found a decent load using 83.5grs with, 26 Norma brass necked up, .002" neck tenison, CCI-250 primer, and .020" OTL with both shooting well at 100 yards. I'm wanting to test them at 500 yards to see how it group. Hybrids are 3150 avg, and Scenars are 3180 avg. The Scenars seem to shoot tigher, but will post targets after test.

I know lots are using RL-33 and 195's, but I have a 1:9 twist and shooting sea level to 3000'

Tagging in. I am seriously considering a 28 nosler and will take any advise possible. Especially with retumbo and the 180 hybrids vs the 195. I would think by now there would have been a lot killing with both of these bullets to report.
Cheers,
Levi

Anyone using 180 hybrids & 180 scenars with Retumbo? I found a decent load using 83.5grs with, 26 Norma brass necked up, .002" neck tenison, CCI-250 primer, and .020" OTL with both shooting well at 100 yards. I'm wanting to test them at 500 yards to see how it group. Hybrids are 3150 avg, and Scenars are 3180 avg. The Scenars seem to shoot tigher, but will post targets after test.

I know lots are using RL-33 and 195's, but I have a 1:9 twist and shooting sea level to 3000'

I used H1000 and JLK 180 vlds to get about 3100 fps at sea level from a 24". I remember it being quite accurate. I sold the rifle, well traded it for an old old rifle. I'm happy with that.

Retumbo will work. Hodgdon lists up to 81.5grains for a Berger 180 vld at 3.34 COAL.

H1000 just might be another powder to try with 180's. right now retumbo seems to. E working well, just need to stretch it out and see how it does. The Scenars just stack very nicely at 100 with Es around 12.

I'm new to reloading this is a old post so by now some one must have a nice load worked up. My digital scale trickle charger brass arrived. Waiting on bullets " barns LRX 168 grain "
My nosler book looks like if I use Retumbo I should be able to get 3200.
I have a cooper firearms with a proof research carbon fiber barrel 1:8 . Swarovski X5I 5-25X56. So I'll be able to reach out and hit my mark.
Any one have a load they like just wondering if Retumbo is where I should start or is there a better choice.
Thanks for any help

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.