28 nosler, vapor trailing?

Some great pics and video!

We blow out the hollow points with air compressor. It gets most of the oil out but does leave a bit. We have seen a diff in the amount of trail with the different cutting oils that we have used. So I do believe there is a trail left by the burning off of some leftover oil. I don't think there is any effect on bullet flight. The only other way that we have come up with to get the oil out of the hollow point is to make a centrifuge to sling it out. It has not been a priority at this point.

Late to the party here as I just saw this. I checked my hammer bullets and the hollow points are about 1/2 to 3/4 full of oil, so a pretty good sized drop. I used a #54 drill bit reversed (0.055") to push into the hollow point and purge the oil out. This is from 162 grain absolutes in .308 and 213 grain hunters in .338. Hammer bullets have been exceedingly accurate for me (with oil in), but I purged them nevertheless because I don't think it could hurt and it's pretty easy to do with the drill bit.

Hammer bullets have oil left in them from the lathe when they are made. There can be quite a bit of oil in the hollowpoint and when you fire a round off, what you see is all that oil being blown out and leaving a more noticeable vapor trail. It has happened to me with the hammer hunters. If you don't believe it, take a few bullets and tap them over and over on a surface and watch the oil come out.
Wonder how/if that affects drag?

I just got some hh bullets before hunt season last year for my daughter's 6.5cm-- I actually enjoy the "smoke trail" from the cutting oil as it helps me spot her shots--- especially for hunting.

What kind of oil is it?

I'm actually thinking of adding it to all her hp bullets to help me/her spot her shots.

I just got some hh bullets before hunt season last year for my daughter's 6.5cm-- I actually enjoy the "smoke trail" from the cutting oil as it helps me spot her shots--- especially for hunting.

What kind of oil is it?

I'm actually thinking of adding it to all her hp bullets to help me/her spot her shots.
Haha! Sounds like we should quit trying to get the oil out of the nose!

We use a mineral based oil that is non toxic. Has been the best we can find and it doesn't cause any issues for us when we get it all over us. We used some diff oils early on and they would burn our skin when you are in it all day.

How does the oil stay in the nose of the bullet with all the shipping and tumbling? I would figure the box would have oil in the bottom and the bullets greasy, or does it somewhat stiffen when exposed to air for prolong periods?

The ones I got that "smoke trail" were slightly oily on the outside, the hp is small enough that I think capillary action keeps the oil in the nose until you start spinning it either from barrel twist or like Steve is doing now, centrifuge

The ones I have gotten in the past did not have the oily residue and did not smoke trail like the newer ones I've gotten. Steve has got to be super busy and selling these things like hot cakes -- he gets them to you as fast as he can so sometimes they are right off the production line (after qc checks of couse)
I appreciate the quality of bullets and the speed in which I receive them so I don't mind a little cutting oil on them. Some of my AH bullets have them too.
If it bothers you then a quick solvent bath would do the trick im sure.
I'm pretty sure what we are seeing is that the heat on the tip of a bullet is pretty high ( think back to the "heat proof" plastic tip craze a few years ago) -- when the centrifugal force from bullet spin slings the cutting oil out of the hp, then oil reaches temps near ignition ( flash point) and it smokes.

What was interesting to me, is im not the only one that prefers the "smoke trail" ...we have a friend that is an outfitter/spotter/guide....he was with us this year on my daughter's private land lope hunt and he saw the smoke trail...he thought it was a great spotting aid and wanted to know how I did it.
Now my daughter's not a long range hunter, her furthest so far is about 250 yards so im not sure if the oil/smoke has any effect on long range drift/drop/accuracy ( it might as it would be a very slight change in weight over its diatance) --- some testing might be in order if long range shooting is your goal. But then again, they aren't really designed as a long range / high bc bullet.

Keep up the good work Steve!!

The ones I got that "smoke trail" were slightly oily on the outside, the hp is small enough that I think capillary action keeps the oil in the nose until you start spinning it either from barrel twist or like Steve is doing now, centrifuge

The ones I have gotten in the past did not have the oily residue and did not smoke trail like the newer ones I've gotten. Steve has got to be super busy and selling these things like hot cakes -- he gets them to you as fast as he can so sometimes they are right off the production line (after qc checks of couse)
I appreciate the quality of bullets and the speed in which I receive them so I don't mind a little cutting oil on them. Some of my AH bullets have them too.
If it bothers you then a quick solvent bath would do the trick im sure.
I'm pretty sure what we are seeing is that the heat on the tip of a bullet is pretty high ( think back to the "heat proof" plastic tip craze a few years ago) -- when the centrifugal force from bullet spin slings the cutting oil out of the hp, then oil reaches temps near ignition ( flash point) and it smokes.

What was interesting to me, is im not the only one that prefers the "smoke trail" ...we have a friend that is an outfitter/spotter/guide....he was with us this year on my daughter's private land lope hunt and he saw the smoke trail...he thought it was a great spotting aid and wanted to know how I did it.
Now my daughter's not a long range hunter, her furthest so far is about 250 yards so im not sure if the oil/smoke has any effect on long range drift/drop/accuracy ( it might as it would be a very slight change in weight over its diatance) --- some testing might be in order if long range shooting is your goal. But then again, they aren't really designed as a long range / high bc bullet.

Keep up the good work Steve!!
FWIW ....Every bullet I ever shot would leave a trail, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler. Light and humidity had to be just right. Best comparison examples are on the wing kenards from a fighter jet or the wing on a top fuel car. In slow mo you can see the "steam" coming off, just my 2c.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts