28 nosler, vapor trailing?

In my mind, that oil has to degrade the BC somehow or another when it is Coming out of the hollowpoint because it creates drag. How much, I don't know. But maybe I am wrong.
I would agree with that with logic I don't know bout technicality but you would think oil exiting would cause issues too with stabilization. What caliber were you shooting with those hammers? In really just going for a 700 and under elk gun so hopefully these will work out.
Much appreciated for you chiming in and letting me know everything by the way.

In talking with Steve, he confirmed it is from the cutting oil in the tip.
6.5SLR pushing a 124 HH @ 3020fps out to 721 yards as viewed through my spotter. Frame images from a video.
Screenshot_20191111-130528_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191111-130511_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191109-162953_Video Player.jpg

I killed a large pig at 500 yards with the 177 Gr hammer hunters. It dropped him where he stood. We have it on film and the way the sun was positioned, you can actually see the bullet going towards the pig and smack him right behind the ear. You could see that vapor trail as well.

did you get a .236 g7?

I've had a hankering for a long time for a 28 nosler so I finally made a dream come true and went out and bought a seekins havak (it does have the seekins brake). I finally got her all dressed up with a leupold lrp and loaded up some adg brass from 78-81.5 h1000 shooting 169 hammer hunters looking for pressures and breaking in the barrel (the hammers do require a 1-8.5 and the Havak is a 1-8.6 but there was no key holing?)
While shooting my father noticed you could literally see a spiraled trail all the way too 100 yards but it was at the blink of an eye. I shot two of each loadings at .5 grain increments and managed to get this still frame picture of what im talking about in a video that is attached.
So what is causing this?
Sorry bout the ignorance just never had this happen before with any other Rifle before.
Thanks!
You're seeing the moisture condensing along the path of the bullet. It happens with all high power rounds. In sniper training, the sniper and the spotter are trained to watch for the vapor trail created by the bullet so they can judge bullet impact at distance. Its nothing wrong with your rifle or your round. You ought to see the vapor trails from an M2HB cal .50 going down range at 800 meters. With a spotting scope, you can see the trails pass through the target.

Last edited:
Vapor trails in my experience are slightly easier to see with very slightly out of focus optics set on a lower power. Seeing them this way is not bullet specific for me. However I could believe these Hammer bullets and the oil may make it easier sometimes. As stated previously I can also see them out to the 600 - 800 yard distance when watching specifically for them.

Vapor trails in my experience are slightly easier to see with very slightly out of focus optics set on a lower power. Seeing them this way is not bullet specific for me. However I could believe these Hammer bullets and the oil may make it easier sometimes. As stated previously I can also see them out to the 600 - 800 yard distance when watching specifically for them.
Yes, you are exactly correct about being slightly out of focus causing the trail to be more visible. That's what we were taught when watching for them. They can be seen as long as the bullet is creating a supersonic shockwave, so as long as the projectile is going faster than sound, you get a vapor trail. In high crosswinds it is very hard to observe, and in really dry environments the trail is less visible, but a good spotter can trace it to the target. As to oil in the hollow point, I think you'd need an awfully lot for it to be visible, and the amount in one of the Hammer bullets wouldn't even be a full drop. It would be vaporized in about 10 feet, I think. And since its in the front of the bullet, I think it wouldn't make any difference, since it would be held there by momentum and pressure. That's why the Military puts tracer mixes in the back of a projectile instead of in the front.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.