28 Nosler magazine solutions?

Take it from someone with two 338s built on the Surgeon XL (and a 28 Nosler built on a 1086) - the XL is way overkill for a 28 Nosler. But more importantly, the difference in loading port length between the 1086 and the XL is only 0.1" (3.8 vs 3.9), and the ejection port lengths are identical. Bottom line the difference in COAL compatibility between the two actions is negligible.

The 1086 can be easily modified to accept the XL's CIP length magazines. That is the ideal approach for the 28 Nosler in my opinion. The XL is going to bring with it about 20 more ounces of weight in the action alone. Plus the XL has a 1-1/8" tenon diameter vs. 1-1/16" on the 1086. That necessitates the use of a 1.350 diameter barrel, which adds a ton more weight.

Unless you are looking for a super heavy bench-only gun, the 1086 (or any comparable long action that accepts CIP magazines) is the way to go.

I have a 28 Nosler built on a Surgeon long action. I use APA CIP length bottom metal and AICS 338 CIP magazines. The action required some minor machining by my gunsmith to fit the CIP length magazines. This setup allows for COAL up to 3.76, which is plenty for this cartridge. 28 Nosler feeds like a dream out of the AICS magazines as well.
What kind of machining had to be done on the 1086 action to accept the CIP length mags? Please let me know, I also have a 1086 and I am converting to a 300RUM based cartridge.

What kind of machining had to be done on the 1086 action to accept the CIP length mags? Please let me know, I also have a 1086 and I am converting to a 300RUM based cartridge.

It was a slight extension of the feed ramps. Robert Gradous did the work and it has been flawless.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.