28 Nosler just a hunting fad?

Quicksilver338

I feel like the 28 nosler has quieted down just as soon as it started. The round is phenomenal for what it is, but if you want to play the big case little bullet game there are better options to create. Beyond hunting purposes which I agree it is a great cartridge for that intended purpose, I feel like I never see or hear guys using the 28 nosler for ELR shooting on game or targets. Sure on paper the 28 will hold velocity longer than a 300gr Berger at under 2800fps, but will it actually out perform it at a mile and beyond? My thoughts are no, if somebody has different experiences I would love to hear about them! I think to a point numbers on paper hold true to a certain extent, after that real world results take over. I feel like ELR is best fought with a .338 or larger projectile.

Am I just not seeing all the ELR 28 nosler stuff or is it really just a good hunting cartridge to let's say 1000yds or less and that's it? Let's use elk hunting as an intended target. While I have no experience elk hunting I can read and do know they are some of the toughest SOB's on the continent!

Last year a gentleman shot an ELR record event in Vegas with a 7mm STW and did quite well. I know it's not a Nosler but it's pretty close ballistically. It seems everyone in the ELR match world are using 338 and up so that they can see the splash from shots consistently. With 6.5, 7mm and even .30 cal it seems like shots are hard or harder to spot once you get out there a ways.

That's a good point, plenty of calibers can get you there. We shoot ELR in timber and if you aren't on its almost impossible to see your misses. My 338 will usually let you know but unless the area is open and you can see trace/impacts the small calibers you're shooting blind.

I personally know of at least 2 bucks killed in the 1200 yd vicinity with the 28. Not elk, but quite a poke on game. Shooting the big Bergers at 3140. Above my current skills set. Don't know if the round is championed as an ELR hunting round, but for a good hot-rod 7, she holds her own.

What were you expecting the 28 Nosler to be? I can tell you what mine does. It will launch a 175 Gr ELD-X at 3212 fps. It will put said load in .5 moa and will consistantly hit a 12" steel gong at 714 yds in the Montana wind. There is no magic cartridge and the 28 Nosler is no different. It uses a lot of powder to go fast and in a well built rifle is very accurate. Of the factory cartridges in .284 it is close to the top. The modern design makes it easy to load and tune in my opinion.
Every time a new cartridge comes out this same debate seems to come out. People expect ti to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The facts are that we have not broke free of the effects of or the laws of gravity and pressure. I don't think that Nosler designed the 28 Nosler to win the Ko2 they build it to be chambered in standard rifles for those who want top performance. Ko2 will almost always be won by purpose built rifles.

Mine likes the 180 eldm at 3200 fps, the .796 bc holds out to 800 yards for me, which is plenty far for my hunting purposes. It's almost not fair how much it cheats the wind. I would agree that it's not likely to be an elr competition type round, but it's a seriously bad *** hunting round that offers some tangible benefits over other 7mm cartridges.

This is the info I was looking for. I know it's a great long range hunting caliber, ballistically on paper it holds its own to a very long range. Local guys seem to think that they can win the Ko2 with it and just was curious is if it just another hunting caliber "latest and greatest" or are guys actually using this caliber on a ELR platform shooting past a mile.

Let me state that I am not minimizing the 28 in any way or saying it is inferior, it has had a cult following for good reason but I am curious if the hunting crowd is where the usefulness dies off with this one?

This is the info I was looking for. I know it's a great long range hunting caliber, ballistically on paper it holds its own to a very long range. Local guys seem to think that they can win the Ko2 with it and just was curious is if it just another hunting caliber "latest and greatest" or are guys actually using this caliber on a ELR platform shooting past a mile.

Let me state that I am not minimizing the 28 in any way or saying it is inferior, it has had a cult following for good reason but I am curious if the hunting crowd is where the usefulness dies off with this one?

I think every one in this thread has made it clear what it is good at. I can not fathom it even competing in the KO2M. Guys are running some crazy heavy bullets with amazing bcs at crazy speeds and they have much more momentum to keep them going.

ELR is achieved through caliber and bullet combinations of BC and retained forward velocity. High BC bullets help extend that range within the same caliber. Once we have maximized the point of diminishing returns within a specific caliber with the maximum BC bullet, say the 7mm rem mag, what do we do to extend the effective distance? Add more powder...e.g. 28 Nosler
Every caliber and bullet combination has a diminishing point of return at some distance. Yes, a 375 Cheytac and other purpose built LR calibers extend all the parameters but very few people would ever hunt with one.

A lot of the overbore 7MM magnums of the new shooting era (the last 15 years of ELR being a mainstream activity) are based on pushing huge high BC bullets at super fast speed to maximize their ability to reach out well past 1000 yards with energy to kill large game. A 7mm 195 grain Berger has a G1 BC of .755 OMG!! You could push that 195 with a 7MM rem mag but have to seat it so deep, you lose powder charge and your point of diminishing returns would become shorter. No need for that big a bullet in that caliber.

A 28 Nosler will absolutely have enough of everything a hunter needs to kill an elk at 1000 yards with elk sized projectiles. No argument.

The biggest question that I get all the time is what is the difference? Why should I build one of these mega magnums versus a "normal" caliber? I usually answer this way:
  1. When in your hunting career do you ever plan on shooting an elk (since you want to use this particular animal as your subject) at more than 500 yards? Ok, you want to, then how far would you ever want to shoot?
  2. If the answer is 1000 yards or more, my next question is how much do you plan on practicing at that distance?
  3. Lastly, if the answer to the first two is confirming of the need, then yes go build a 28 Nosler and go for it

I have killed many elk. They are amazing critters that I have first hand seen take 3 shots from a 180 grain 300 WM in the kill zone area at 400 yards and are still standing. I have also seem them fall to the ground being hit with one 150 grain bullet out of a 270 at the same distance.

More energy and speed are always good when hunting. Always - period dot.
Popularity is not based on how many manufacturers make ammo as the only factor. It is also about cost and how many people want that caliber based on the need. If we did a study on this particular caliber, my bet would be that the biggest majority of people buying it are western hunters that need this speed and energy. How you rate if that makes it popular or not, i do not know.
I have a 7MM-300 Norma Improved to maximize hunting with high BC bullets. If I was in the market for another 7MM - the 28 nosler would be high on my list

Last edited:
I feel like the 28 nosler has quieted down just as soon as it started. The round is phenomenal for what it is, but if you want to play the big case little bullet game there are better options to create. Beyond hunting purposes which I agree it is a great cartridge for that intended purpose, I feel like I never see or hear guys using the 28 nosler for ELR shooting on game or targets. Sure on paper the 28 will hold velocity longer than a 300gr Berger at under 2800fps, but will it actually out perform it at a mile and beyond? My thoughts are no, if somebody has different experiences I would love to hear about them! I think to a point numbers on paper hold true to a certain extent, after that real world results take over. I feel like ELR is best fought with a .338 or larger projectile.

Am I just not seeing all the ELR 28 nosler stuff or is it really just a good hunting cartridge to let's say 1000yds or less and that's it? Let's use elk hunting as an intended target. While I have no experience elk hunting I can read and do know they are some of the toughest SOB's on the continent!
I feel you are totally wrong in this--28Nosler brass was next to impossible to find most of the summer and fall--when talking to Midway USA or other suppliers I was told they cant keep it in stock..and when I called Nosler they told me the interest in the 28 is greater at this point than the 26,30 or 33 --mostly by the Long range crowd..I have taken close to 60 elk in my lifetime..have used everything from 264W Mag to 338RUM..they are tough..but, much of what I read makes me smile and laugh a bit..you hit an animal through both lungs, they will die, period. Nothing mythical or magical..they do have a will to live..but, come on.. As to the 28N--think its a great long range cartridge.. loaded with a good solid bullet for elk, it will kill them like the hammer of Thor..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.