28 Nosler just a hunting fad?

I'd post a few videos though the phone scope/spotting scope at 1K where all you here is the wind howling, but for some reason the videos wont load up on here. But you can clearly still hear the gong getting slapped every time :) If you're ever in EO, let me know and we'll go shoot!

I can tell you why.
It would be because if you shoot a 162 in that gun at a rock at say 1200, you will use less clicks on the scope than if you had used a 180.
And if you dont believe it, it's only because youve never tried it.
If you going to be shooting the heavier bullets, you need more powder, not less, if you expect better results.
And you wont be doing that with the 7mms.
You want 3300 or more with a 190, then move on to a 30 cal.
The 28 Nosler simply joined a group of older 7mms offering the same level of performance.
I've shot & taken my fair share of animals with the 162. It's not a shabby choice at all. Much better than a lot of other bullets.
Less clicks are fine, no problem with that. I'm running a 7mm stw with 180s @ near 3200fps. and a 300 Norma with 225 & 230s @ 3060fps. Extra clicks don't bother me a whole lot. There is some noticable difference between the 162 & 180 in windy conditions, even at 7mm rem mag speeds the 180 doesn't get pushed as much by the wind. The 162 will hold it's own against alot of other bullets.

I've shot & taken my fair share of animals with the 162. It's not a shabby choice at all. Much better than a lot of other bullets.
Less clicks are fine, no problem with that. I'm running a 7mm stw with 180s @ near 3200fps. and a 300 Norma with 225 & 230s @ 3060fps. Extra clicks don't bother me a whole lot. There is some noticable difference between the 162 & 180 in windy conditions, even at 7mm rem mag speeds the 180 doesn't get pushed as much by the wind. The 162 will hold it's own against alot of other bullets.
So tell us which one you prefer when shooting with wind?
Ive added to this post as some will no doubt notice.
Im strictly interested in the hunting aspect of all this, not simply shooting.
Im running the 162 Hornady match bullets at close to 3400 fps in my 7x300 Wby. and i know the 7 STW can do likewise. The velocity difference between that and a 180 can make a difference as for wind also.
I run 190s in my 300 Norma because i get the same velocity with them.
Id much prefer the 300 Norma over the 7x300 Wby.
As for shooting the 230s or 240s however, i used 200s in my 30x 378 with a 36" barrel for about 30 years. The 200s at 3500 fps, out performed the 240s till about 1600 yds.
And id bet nobody reading this has killed an animal at 1600 yds, nor have i.
If i were young and starting over today, i frankly wouldnt have any 7mm for long range hunting.
I would instead have just a 300 Norma, And a large capacity 338.

Last edited:
The 180 ELDM bucks the wind a bit better than the 162 AMAX in my experience. I shoot in 20-25 mph winds all the time because the wind always blows here in EO, like 75% of the time. If you had to wait for a non windy day, sometimes you wouldnt be shooting for a month straight. It sucks, but you learn some things and become a lot better shot haha.

My general question for you guys is how consistent are you able to make your handloads with the heavy 7s? Any data to share on ESs and SDs with these big bullets? I'm considering a new build. Have always loved the 7s, and still shoot my .280s and 7 Rem. Mags a lot. I used to own a 7mm Wby. Mag. but it never shot great and I haven't stepped up to one of the 28s or bigger ones yet, but am thinking about it.

My general question for you guys is how consistent are you able to make your handloads with the heavy 7s? Any data to share on ESs and SDs with these big bullets? I'm considering a new build. Have always loved the 7s, and still shoot my .280s and 7 Rem. Mags a lot. I used to own a 7mm Wby. Mag. but it never shot great and I haven't stepped up to one of the 28s or bigger ones yet, but am thinking about it.
Here's some data. This set wasn't tuned for seating depth yet. Have since moved to a new barrel & components and the early results are even better.

1610410285956.png

180 Berger/Retumbo combo ran 3206-3212 over 3 shots last time I chrono'd. Interestingly enough, the 142 HH and H1000 combo I settled on also had single digit ES.
The 28 Nosler is a great high performance hunting cartridge. With a 1 in 8 twist Proof bbl, 28 inches long and a 195 elite hunter in front of 83 grs of H 50 BMG you get 3080 fps with a G1 BC of .810 at sea level. .840 at my elevation which is about 5000 ft. It retains 2199 fps and 2093 ft;lbs of energy at 1000 yds with time of flight 1.15 sec. and 1494 fps and 966 ft lbs with time of flight 2.8 sec. at 2000 yds. That is a beast coming from an 8 lb hunting rifle!! Now you are thinking that the correct BC is .755 and you are correct if you are shooting a 7 rem mag at 2600 fps but according to Brian Litz , when the 195 Berger is started out at 3000 fps or higher the BC is .810. If you dont want to shoot over everything use .810 it works. Light weight, light recoil, very long range hunting capable. The load I gave you is too hot for your primer pockets to live but 3020 fps will work. H 50 bmg is the ideal powder for great numbers and accuracy for the180 bullets and heavier. Bbl life can be fairly short but in hunting rifle, no big deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.