28 Nosler just a hunting fad?

Having precision hunter is a big deal. Considering Nosler can't seem to provide factory ammo for 28N maybe Hornady can.

I can't add anything beneficial to the 28 nosler eld debate, but I can say that I have saw nothing cheat the wind like a 180 eld 7mm at 2950fps, so 3150+fps 180 has to be even better. I have yet to shoot 225eld or 230&215 Berger 30 cals but I'm working in it and they may be just as good. Lots of hate and discontent out there for 7mms, I blame most of it on a long history of poor bullet choice for purpose and/or quality bullet availability years ago. Heard lots of bogus stuff from gun writers over the years like: a 270 will do anything a 7mm rem mag will do. Really? I have a 270 myself no hate for it either but I wish it would shoot a 180gr @ 2950fps. That would be awesome if it could do it accuratly. Too much of what's posted & wrote about by gun writers is just opinion or what they heard from others. That's why salesmen at sporting goods stores think you can do the same thing with a 6.5 cm as you can a 300 win mag. I have both of them and it's comparing apples to oranges. Both great cartridges but should never be said in a blanket statement that one is as good as the other or one better than the other. Truth is that 264 Cal in anything was almost dead to most hunters for 40-50 years and now it's the best thing ever. 264 was good for something all the while, marketing hype & gun writers steered opinion one way or another. 7mm will die out sooner or later and make a comback at some point. I guess there will come a day when most every hunter will carry a 20lb 338 Lapua or 375 cheytac hunting with them. Heck, I may be one of them. Nothing new under the sun, everything comes and goes, then comes back and goes again for a while.

I told you all that I couldn't add anything beneficial to this debate at the beginning so don't jump my case about it, lol.

Hornady has jumped on the Nosler bandwagon too, they now offer their precision hunter ammo, and brass for most of the Nosler cartridges. Not the best brass, but more options is always good.
And I have been assured the 28 Nosler brass by Nosler will become more readily available as well. Guess time will tell if that is true or not..

New to the forum. Just came across this thread after joining. First post.

It looks like Bertram has also been making the 28 Nosler brass for several months now as well. Seems they can't keep stock up but at least they are another option. Sometimes. Nice to see others making it.

Thought about 28 nosler for a long while cause my 7mm rm has always shot so well, it makes me look like I know what I'm doing, lol. I'm going 30 Cal. I've already had 300wm so it's going to be something different than 300wm. Still, kudos to the 28 nosler. Maybe I will go that route after this next 30. Have you guys heard of that new round called 6.5 creedmoor. The salesman at the sporting goods store told me it was better than 300win mag, lol. Just kidding. I like my 6.5cm. It has it's place. I don't think I would go after brown bear with it.

I have a 7-300wsm 180/3000fps and a 7mm saum 175EELDX/ 2870fps. I also have a 338 and a 300WM but I seem to always migrate back to the 6.5 rounds. Might just be that I am getting old and don't like recoil. All of mine are full builds and shoot half moa. I sold the Mcmillan TAC 50 2 years ago for this very reason.

Doesn't add much detail to the overall picture but you need to shoot what you are 100% confident in at the range and target you wish to dispatch. I am not sure the round matters half as much as the ability to use it properly in hunting conditions.

Kind of baffles me that Hornady went with the 162 for the precision hunter 28N vs loading it with the 175.
Most factory 28 Nosler rifles have 9 twist barrels, the 175 needs more twist, unless you are at elevation. Factory loads have to work for pretty much every rifle out there.

Most factory 28 Nosler rifles have 9 twist barrels, the 175 needs more twist, unless you are at elevation. Factory loads have to work for pretty much every rifle out there.

I had not thought of that. Its easy to forget ammo companies need to cater to factory rifle twists. A shame though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.