28 Nosler best powder

I also load the 169 Hammer Hunter in the Stiller 28N. I use N570 for it. Tiny groups at 3200 fps. They load long, almost identical to the 195 EOL.
Do you mind sharing load ? And are you crimping ? I'm right at 82gr of N570 with the 195s in my Mesa

I have shot LRT and US869 in my 28's using 180-195 grain bullets and loads at 3.6" or a bit longer with the bullets just off the lands, I cannot get enough of either in the case to make pressure using a drop tube and a vibratory primer tube filler to settle the powder. Both are still climbing predictably with charge increases and both are relatively temp sensitive. RL33 will make speed and pressure with bullets from 160-195 grains, and has been fantastic for accuracy. I haven't done much with RL33 to see how much it changes with temp but from low 40's to low 80's it has been spot on beyond a thousand yards. H1000 and Retumbo are both superb 28N powders with bullets from 140-195 grains, speed is lower than RL33 but temp stability and accuracy are both excellent and that's all a guy really needs instead of another 100-200 fps to kill WAY WAY out there. RL26 is another really good powder for 28N, excellent speed and accuracy, but I haven't done much on the temp sensitivity (or not).

What are people using for powder charges in 8133? I've got a few bottles and may use it up since I can't find n570 or retumbo any more. Thanks.

Lee

Recently purchased a Fierce firearms 28 Nosler . I have 40 rounds down the barrel, did break in exactly as suggested by MFG. Now I'm looking to start load development. This gun will be used for hunting elk out to 800 yards. My goal is to get a good hunting round (168 - 175 grn) shooting 1/2 MOA or less at 3100 fps or greater. I currently have some Nosler 168 ABLR, Hornady 175 ELD-X, and soon some 175 ABLR. For powders I have RL 33, Norma 217 and US869 (retumbo and H1000 are hard to find in my area, no stores have in stock currently). I don't have the time to go perform a ladder test on all the different powders and bullet combination. I'm looking for suggestions on what people are seeing for the best powder for bullets in this weight range. This will be my first attempt at the ladder test to find the best powder charge. Also how will temperature affect a ladder test on these powders? I will be doing this in 30 degree heat range, if I'm hunting in 60 degree range will the load totally change?
Thanks in advance for advice!
All I shoot is 195 Berger eol reloader 33 84gr match primers , same hole all day

Looking at Nosler says the LRT would be a solid powder, and I just got my 175 ABLRs and Berger 180 VLDs in! Now I just need some brass, want to use ADG but cant find any atm
Try Precision Reloading, Unknown Munitions and Graff & Sons for ADG brass. I've had good luck with them for my 28N.

Last edited:
All I shoot is 195 Berger eol reloader 33 84gr match primers , same hole all day
Nice rifle btw. I have a 28 Nosler Browning Hells Canyon X-Bolt with 26" barrel and 1 in 8 twist and below are my numbers and recipes:

175 ELD-X; bumping shoulders -.002"; 95 grains of H870 averaging 3,275 fps and groups staying around 1/2" at 100 yards. Obviously they don't make H870 anymore but a good substitute is US879 and there seems to be a good supply of it. I use the H870 with heavier bullets in my 28 Nosler and 300 RUM because I have several pounds of it.

For lighter bullets, I use LRT. LRT is an excellent substitute for RL33 and is just only slightly faster burn rate—but not much. I am loading 95 grains of LRT; bumping shoulders -.002"; averaging 3,414 fps with 150 grain Swift Scirocco; groups around 1/2" at 100 yards.

I am primarily using Hornady and Nosler brass but I would be using ADG if I could have found some right when I bought the gun. I did find Nosler and Hornady brass and bought up a good supply of it so I am good on brass now. Hope this helps.

Nice rifle btw. I have a 28 Nosler Browning Hells Canyon X-Bolt with 26" barrel and 1 in 8 twist and below are my numbers and recipes:

175 ELD-X; bumping shoulders -.002"; 95 grains of H870 averaging 3,275 fps and groups staying around 1/2" at 100 yards. Obviously they don't make H870 anymore but a good substitute is US879 and there seems to be a good supply of it. I use the H870 with heavier bullets in my 28 Nosler and 300 RUM because I have several pounds of it.

For lighter bullets, I use LRT. LRT is an excellent substitute for RL33 and is just only slightly faster burn rate—but not much. I am loading 95 grains of LRT; bumping shoulders -.002"; averaging 3,414 fps with 150 grain Swift Scirocco; groups around 1/2" at 100 yards.

I am primarily using Hornady and Nosler brass but I would be using ADG if I could have found some right when I bought the gun. I did find Nosler and Hornady brass and bought up a good supply of it so I am good on brass now. Hope this helps.
What is the coldest temp you have used those loads in?

What is the coldest temp you have used those loads in?
I hunt in Northwest Louisiana so the temperature is fairly mild. I have hunted with the weather in the teens; however, most of the time it ranges from about 22F to 40F in the heart of our season when I do most of my hunting. Our gun season always opens the last weekend in October and I have actually killed deer in the early evening time with temperatures in the low 80'sF. However, our rut and best time to be in the woods is usually from Thanksgiving until about a week after the first of the year. So, most of the bucks I kill are in December and using the range from 22F to 40F would be an accurate assessment. Thanks

I have read US869 is extremely temp sensitive. I live in Colorado now and that is the best groups I have gotten is with US869. Wondering if you have experienced severe fps drop with temp decrease
You bring up a good point. I do a lot of my shooting and testing right now this time of the year because the weather in North Louisiana in February and early March is similar during the times of year I deer hunt. I just got a new Labradar chrono so it is easier for me to test loads now than my old "shoot through" design. I will have to record some data during warmer weather to see what velocities I get so I will have some references. Good question and thanks.
Jerimiah 29: 11-13