28 Nosler - Best accuracy/Velocity powder - 8133 or R33, or?

With light for case capacity bullets, especially considering the large capacity of this case, RL26 may give you good velocity with the hammers. It does very well in smaller cases like 7mag, saum and creed, wsm, even the - 06 based cases when loaded with heavy bullets. With the 28s overbore, it'll act quicker than it's nature and possibly be a good candidate for your bullet. Has a slightly slower burn rate from H1000.

Appreciate the info Highdrum,
I think 26 would do well too but I don't have any and I think 8133 will do better and have some on the way so will test that as soon as possible after it arrives.

No problem Kai. I got a shipping notice and it may arrive this Monday sometime but likely later in the day and if so I'll Likely be Testing some bullets using it ASAP which most likely will be Tuesday as I'm very anxious to test it out.

I quoted myself there as I was heavy on the likely's. I'm so anxious there's really no likely's about it. Smile

I got the IMR 8133 in the mail yesterday. I had high hopes for it but not as much now.
I can get to 3600 FPS but pressue is way to high. With Retumbo I was getting around 3523 FPS with a Winchester magnum primer but I also had a ejector mark. So it wasn't a load I had settled on. I was getting 3475 FPS with the same load of Retumbo using a Federal 215M primer. Also the bullet was a Hammer Hunter 143gn.

Here are the numbers I was getting using 8133 With winchester mag primers, Nosler brass and I believe my OAL was set at 3.490. This from a 28N Hells canyon speed Rifle:
This first group used all Winchester mag primers and both groups used IMR 8133 Powder. Please note that from number 3 to 8 showed signs of pressure especially from 5 and up pressure was clearly fairly high. Higher than I would use for a regular load for sure.

1. 87gn = 3427 FPS
2. 87.5 gn = 3422
3. 88gn = 3470
4. 88.5gn =3498
5. 89gn =3524
6. 89.5gn =3561
7. 90gn =3512
8. 90.5 gn =3615

These two were both using Federal 215 primers

1. 90gn =3528
2. 90.5gn =3607

Read more: http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/410/happy-day-new-rifle?page=5#ixzz5cpMUujUn

Last edited:
Roughwater, Thanks for providing your test results with 8133 powder.

I'm shooting the Hammer Hunter 143 gn bullets and new Nosler brass loaded to a similar COAL of 3.495 from my Proof Carbon, 26 inch barrel with 8 twist and CCI 250 (magnum) primers. The bullet was seated with .020 jump to the lands.

Initial MV from my new barrel with 88 gn. of N570 was 3,559 fps but after 90 rounds through the barrel, the same load is producing around 3,615 fps with a very slight hint of bolt lift on my Nucleus action.

How many rounds do you have through your barrel? Perhaps it will speed up.
What pressure signs are you seeing?

Last edited:
Roughwater, Thanks for providing your test results with 8133 powder.

I'm shooting the Hammer Hunter 143 gn bullets and new Nosler brass loaded to a similar COAL of 3.495 from my Proof Carbon, 26 inch barrel with 8 twist and CCI 250 (magnum) primers. The bullet was seated with .020 jump to the lands.

Initial MV from my new barrel with 88 gn. of N570 was 3,559 fps but after 90 rounds through the barrel, the same load is producing around 3,615 fps with a very slight hint of bolt lift on my Nucleus action.

How many rounds do you have through your barrel? Perhaps it will speed up.
What pressure signs are you seeing?

Kai,

Appreciate the info. I'm seeing mostly the round ejector marks on the brass. With heavier loads I'm seeing other signs like compressed primers as well. I'm seeing light marks just before 3500 FPS and heavier as the velocity increases. I agree that the problem may cure it's self after firing more rounds. I am over 50 rounds now as of the last couple days closing in on 70 rounds through the barrel. I do like many and I went on the internet and did a search of the problem. Someone with a similar problem solved it by hand lapping the barrel. I plan to to the same. Possibly today if I can come up with some good lapping compound. Some use a JB product but I have some Flitz I think it's called someplace if I can find it. With a couple guns I have owned I have fire lapped. But I don't want to put any more rounds though this barrel than necessary if possible. At first I thought maybe the brass was just soft but I was seeing ejector marks even on brass I had fired using Nosler custom ammo. Though the brass may well be soft I doubt it's that soft and a friend who is seeing better than 3600 fPS with a 26N using the same bullet is not seeing ejector marks. I'll let you all know if this solves my issue or not ASAP.

Kai,

Appreciate the info. I'm seeing mostly the round ejector marks on the brass. With heavier loads I'm seeing other signs like compressed primers as well. I'm seeing light marks just before 3500 FPS and heavier as the velocity increases. I agree that the problem may cure it's self after firing more rounds. I am over 50 rounds now as of the last couple days closing in on 70 rounds through the barrel. I do like many and I went on the internet and did a search of the problem. Someone with a similar problem solved it by hand lapping the barrel. I plan to to the same. Possibly today if I can come up with some good lapping compound. Some use a JB product but I have some Flitz I think it's called someplace if I can find it. With a couple guns I have owned I have fire lapped. But I don't want to put any more rounds though this barrel than necessary if possible. At first I thought maybe the brass was just soft but I was seeing ejector marks even on brass I had fired using Nosler custom ammo. Though the brass may well be soft I doubt it's that soft and a friend who is seeing better than 3600 fPS with a 26N using the same bullet is not seeing ejector marks. I'll let you all know if this solves my issue or not ASAP.
Roughwater.... my nucleus action doesn't have a bolt face with a round ejector, so I'd never see a round ejector mark on my brass. I have the slightest amount of bolt lift resistance and some primer flattening. I showed my rifle and brass to a highly qualified Smith and he told me that the amount of primer flattening was fine, and less than he sees on some factory ammo.
I agree with not fire lapping. It would wear the barrel and you wouldn't feel any tight spots like you will if you hand lap.
When my barrel was new my 88 gn load had was at 3565 fps. It sped up 50 fps to 3615 with about 90 rounds through the barrel.

Well I went out early this am and fired one round using new brass and 88gn of 8831 with a Federal 215M primer. I got a velocity of 3424. Previously I had a velocity of 3470 with the same load except I had used a Winchester Magnum primer. Again this was using the Hammer hunter 43 gn .284 bullet. Unfortunately there was still a very noticeable ejector mark. So much for the lapping theory but I'm not sure either if I was really lapping as I was mostly using scratch remover so not much grit to it if any. I couldn't find the Flitz I once had.

Here are my test results from this morning: 86 grains of 8133 showed no visible marks. Velocity was 3332
86.4 gn got me 3436 FPS with visible but light mark
86.3 gb got me 3410 FPS with barely visible mark These were all using Winchester magnum primers and 8133.
Since I want to use my cases multiple times if possible I will at least for now downgrade my load if using 8133 to the 86.3 gn load.

Read more: http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/410/happy-day-new-rifle?page=5#ixzz5cz60VmIw

I'm shooting a 7mm STW with the HH 143 and RL 26 nosler brass and fed 215. Ran it up to 3640 fps and could have pushed further but my shots were stringing vertically for the last two powder charges and speed rapidly increasing. I might have hit a high node but instead I settled for 3390 fps and one hole accuracy. I may check for upper end potential again on my next load cycle.

I was able to push to 3600 but my primer pockets would likely be spent on the 1st shot so trying to save brass more than anything. Brass is more expensive for the 28 than even for the 338 Lapua and harder to come by. I'm looking at loading to about 3400 FPS too. I have not shot this powder (8133) for accuracy yet per say though I was getting about a 1/2" at 3500 fps with Retumbo but pockets would wear faster at that velocity than I want. So far though the hammers seem very easy to load accurately in my gun whatever the velocity so I don't expect any problems in that respect.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.