28 Nosler - Best accuracy/Velocity powder - 8133 or R33, or?

8133 seems to be a pretty good powder in the 28. I found better ES then Retumbo with it in mine. And their "anti copper fouling whatever it is" is actually no joke. I was a bit skeptical but it has to be the cleanest powder I have ever seen.

From what I found in mine you might be able to get slightly higher velocity then Retumbo but it's not much.

8133 seems to be a pretty good powder in the 28. I found better ES then Retumbo with it in mine. And their "anti copper fouling whatever it is" is actually no joke. I was a bit skeptical but it has to be the cleanest powder I have ever seen.

From what I found in mine you might be able to get slightly higher velocity then Retumbo but it's not much.

Thanks CK,
I was just at the Hodgdon Reloading website. I didn't realize they had data there on the IMR 8133 powder but they do.
I could be wrong but based on a few different factors I think I can get much more veloctity than Hodgdon publishes below considering my barrel length and the bullet I'm using than with the data published below. But I don't know how it would compare to RL33 unless of course I buy one of each.
IMR 8133 Min 81.2 3,093 51,600 PSI Max 87.5 3,375 63,200 PSI
Retumbo Min 79.1 3,131 55,100 PSI Max 84.1 3,307 62,800 PSI

Those velocity's do look pretty low. I'm loading 180's and getting right at 120 FPS faster with less powder then their data shows. Their max load generated almost 200 FPS faster then what is shown if I recall right.

The Hodgdon data looks pretty conservative, they show retumbo with a 140, max of 84.1 grains generating 3307 FPS, Nosler shows a 140 with retumbo max of 88 grains generating 3519 FPS.

Here is a 3 shot group at 100 yds that I shot today.
20190105_152338.jpg

Hi,

I appreciate all the great opinions and with you showing the results you all had using different powders. I have read so many threads online that someone started but kinda just ended without knowing a final result. I didn't want this thread to end that way so I'll keep it going till I get the powder I finally end up using. That said. I ordered some IMR 8133 online and have a order in locally for some RL33. I'm thinking the 8133 will likely arrive before the RL33 but which ever comes first is what I'll test first and publish here as well as at the hammer website. Also I thought I should mention Grafs has a pretty good deal on powder if you end up having to order some online. If you buy 4lbs or more they only charge a 10 dollar Hasmat and shipping is only 7.95. You can add primers or whatever else to the order so long as it's not more than I think 50 lbs though I'm nor for sure on the weight limit. Also it must be in stock and not backorder I belive?

RL33 burns pretty clean once you get the pressure up. It usually shoots well with low SD at high charge weights close to max. Run a ladder and I'm sure you'll find a wide node of accuracy.

N570 is the cleanest, least temp sensitive for the N28, but it can be hard to find.

You could very well be right but I haven't seen much talk of it so it hasn't even been my radar. From what I read about, it seems it would be more ideal for the guys shooting the heavy per caliber bullets, but I'm just shooting 143 grainers. I'm looking more at high velocity and flat shooting out to 600 plus yards or a little more.

You could very well be right but I haven't seen much talk of it so it hasn't even been my radar. From what I read about, it seems it would be more ideal for the guys shooting the heavy per caliber bullets, but I'm just shooting 143 grainers. I'm looking more at high velocity and flat shooting out to 600 plus yards or a little more.
I'm shooting my 28N with N570 and 143 gn. Hammer Hunter bullets at 3,613 fps.from a 26 inch proof barrel with 80 rounds down the tube.

I'm shooting my 28N with N570 and 143 gn. Hammer Hunter bullets at 3,613 fps.from a 26 inch proof barrel with 80 rounds down the tube.

Well now you all tell me after I buy a bunch of 8133! LOL. That's the same bullet I'm working up as well.

I have hopes I can get near that number with 8133, RL33 or if I'm lucky both. I'm in the low 3500's with Retumbo but feel like it would be even better to hit 3600 without undue pressure if possible. Someone I know is getting 3650 with Retumbo with the same bullet but my gun after trying some different primers etc just won't let me get there with Retumbo without undue pressure. But thanks for that info, it may be useful to me or others down the road. Hopefully within a week I'll have some 8133 or RL33 to try out and let you know how that goes. It seems like in my area few are using these ultra magnum powders especially these newer powders so I'm having to order online to get them. I have a order in at Grafs for the 8133 but they haven't sent me a ship date so not sure of the status but I may call them and see.

Last edited:
With light for case capacity bullets, especially considering the large capacity of this case, RL26 may give you good velocity with the hammers. It does very well in smaller cases like 7mag, saum and creed, wsm, even the - 06 based cases when loaded with heavy bullets. With the 28s overbore, it'll act quicker than it's nature and possibly be a good candidate for your bullet. Has a slightly slower burn rate from H1000.

Well now you all tell me after I buy a bunch of 8133! LOL. That's the same bullet I'm working up as well.

I have hopes I can get near that number with 8133, RL33 or if I'm lucky both. I'm in the low 3500's with Retumbo but feel like it would be even better to hit 3600 without undue pressure if possible. Someone I know is getting 3650 with Retumbo with the same bullet but my gun after trying some different primers etc just won't let me get there with Retumbo without undue pressure. But thanks for that info, it may be useful to me or others down the road. Hopefully within a week I'll have some 8133 or RL33 to try out and let you know how that goes. It seems like in my area few are using these ultra magnum powders especially these newer powders so I'm having to order online to get them. I have a order in at Grafs for the 8133 but they haven't sent me a ship date so not sure of the status but I may call them and see.
Roughwater, I've only tried N570 in my 28N. Steve at Hunter bullets thought mu barrel should achieve around 3550 fps. With limited time to develop a load before going on a hunting trip, I settled on a charge that produced around 3550 fps. My barrel sped up to 3616 with another 50 rounds through the barrel. There's a slight hint of increased bolt lift on my Nucleus action.
Ironically, I can buy N570 in my location (at $50 per pound) but there's no 8133 available yet.
Please let us know how the 8133 works with the HH 143gn bullets. It's less expensive and should be less abrasive on the barrel's throat than N570.

No problem Kai. I got a shipping notice and it may arrive this Monday sometime but likely later in the day and if so I'll Likely be Testing some bullets using it ASAP which most likely will be Tuesday as I'm very anxious to test it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.