28 Nosler Barrel Life: ACTUAL results please

Nitriding happened after ALL metal work is finished so you would need the core fitted and chambered at least before nitride, it's no problem to do a muzzle brake after but it looks nicer if done before.

Seems pretty obtainable to me, I'm getting just over 3100 fps with the 180 eld m in my 28 nosler with a 26" barrel. And that's with a slower powder and not pushing it hard.
I don't think I would want a barrel under 25" though.
Might make more sense to go with a 7-300 if using a barrel that short

Sorry not trying to hijack, but can you comment on what BC you are running with your 180 ELDs? Thanks

Running my 28 Nosler Bartlein 26" pushing 195s at 3127 average right now using RL33 60 rds fired so far,, Ryan Pirece along with Bartlein both say after 140 or so rds down the pipe it will speed up..

So I don't really see a issue getting 3000 from a 180.. Key to it from my learning is make sure to have gun Throated for the bullet you plain on using. Only guys I have seen not get 3100s out of a 195 is the ones that didn't have there barrels set up for the longer bullets and all ran into pressure before reaching 3100s.

Sorry not trying to hijack, but can you comment on what BC you are running with your 180 ELDs? Thanks

I've only been able to shoot to 100 yards so far. We still have tons of snow so access to the mountains where I shoot is poor.
I plan on snowshoeing today and hopefully I can find a place to shoot some distance.
I'll post what I find under a new thread.

Please don't immediately ignore this thread, as there has been plenty of posts about the 28 nosler. I've tried searching this site, as well as several others, and can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for. If I missed something, I apologize, and please point me in the right direction if you can.... Here's the question: For those of you that have direct experience with the 28 nosler (or similar 7stw, 7-300, etc), what are your REAL WORLD experiences with barrel life? I'm going to re-barrel a 7 mag here pretty quick, and want to drive the new 180 gr ELD-M 3000 fps, and I'm thinking the 28 is going to be a safe bet and probably on the light side with a 24" barrel. I don't shoot strings, when shooting paper or steel. I wait 5-15 minutes between shots depending on conditions.... Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Barrel life is going to depend on rate of fire, powder choice, powder weight burned and how high the pressures are; where bore diameter is a constant. That said, it's actually something you can make a good fist of calculating if you have the maths. If you go with something like H50BMG then my numbers say about 550 rounds if you let it cool between shots and clean every few rounds. H50 is a very energetic powder apparently and the 28N is a massively overbore cartridge. If you use something like H870 then my maths say just north of 700 rounds. Those numbers come from an equation and are not gospel however it has been very very accurate over the course of a number of barrels.

Thanks to those of you that have kept this thread on topic. I'm personally not interested in disputing velocity, as I understand the capabilities of the cartridge outside of a saami spec chamber... I know there's been a number of 28s built by members of this forum.... anyone else care to chime in? The nitriding talk with the 28 is interesting as well. Keep it coming guys. I appreciate it!

My 7WSM barrel gave up the ghost at just under 1,000 rounds. A little disappointed because it was never shot hot and kept clean.

I've got a new Bartlein bbl on order. What is the process for nitriding and who is recommended for this process?

I recommend MMI Parker Trutec and Rock Creek barrels is the only one that they work through so you will have to call Rock Creek. The barrel will have to have all machine work complete prior to Nitriding.

Running my 28 Nosler Bartlein 26" pushing 195s at 3127 average right now using RL33 60 rds fired so far,, Ryan Pirece along with Bartlein both say after 140 or so rds down the pipe it will speed up..

So I don't really see a issue getting 3000 from a 180.. Key to it from my learning is make sure to have gun Throated for the bullet you plain on using. Only guys I have seen not get 3100s out of a 195 is the ones that didn't have there barrels set up for the longer bullets and all ran into pressure before reaching 3100s.

Switchback, what barrel twist did you go with?

whats the minimum throat where you can get 3000? i ordered my barrel way before researching throat length. the 195s are jammed at 3.635 oal. i have a 27.5 inch tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.