28 nosler barrel life

Mine is gonna last around 500 rounds I can tell. Already have another barrel waiting for this one to smoke. The throat erosion is crazy so don't load up more than 20 rounds or so at a time or you will find it's almost a waste cause you have to extend the length out seems like what I have found 20 to 30 shots.

Mine is gonna last around 500 rounds I can tell. Already have another barrel waiting for this one to smoke. The throat erosion is crazy so don't load up more than 20 rounds or so at a time or you will find it's almost a waste cause you have to extend the length out seems like what I have found 20 to 30 shots.
…or you could shoot it until it cannot be tuned anymore. I'd bet I could get 2000 rounds down it before I was upset.

Might be worth putting a tuner on it so you have more shooting rounds and less load development.

BIG SEVENS. Gotta pay to play and have an extra barrel.

hqdefault.jpg

…or you could shoot it until it cannot be tuned anymore. I'd bet I could get 2000 rounds down it before I was upset.

Might be worth putting a tuner on it so you have more shooting rounds and less load development.
Gonna order up an EC Tuner Brake. I've got 2 fairly new barrels that have load development about dialed in and I don't want to do anymore than necessary!

I'm around 800 rounds through mine and the barrel super shot out. But I'll be damned if it doesn't still shoot the hammers into 1/2 MOA allll dayyyy. But I'm still putting a new barrel on it because the erosion effects the velocities much more than I was aware.

You definitely don't need to change your load every 30 shots. Find a forgiving node and seat at the longest point in that node. I used one exact load with no change for 150 rounds and it stayed under 1/2 MOA the whole time.

Keep velocities sane, shoot cool burning powder, allow it time to cool between rounds and don't go crazy with the throating and it should last +/- 1000 rds.

I've owned several 28 noslers now and the one I had the longest was on its third barrel when I sold it. I shot out the first barrel in a little over 850 rds shooting n570 and R33 with 195's vld's at 3150 fps and not giving it much time between rounds at the range. The second barrel had less throating to let me chase the lands longer and saw only 180 vld's with Retumbo at right around 3175. I was careful with that barrel and always had atleast 2 minutes between rounds at the range and I got right at 1100 rds out of it before it quit shooting 1/2 moa.

I've had 2 since then and always ran pretty much the same 180 vld/Retumbo load as it was plenty for my needs and fairly gentle on the barrel. Well as gentle as a 180 gr bullet pushed by 80 grs of powder could be.

There is no free lunch with the big 7's and barrels are a disposable commodity for them.

Last edited:
There is a real difference between [barrel life] and [accurate barrel life].
When you work up a load(let's say 1/2moa), run with it, and then there is a shift, causing you to horse with it to regain somewhat consistent performance,, That's the [accurate barrel life] point. If you're happy with 'sub-moa' then you might get another 500 or even 1,000 at that, but you did kiss consistent 1/2moa goodbye.

I'm just suggesting that when seeking barrel life numbers this should be considered to form good information.
Same with case life. If you're choosing a cartridge that leads to high brass turnover, then I bet you would want to know that up front.
Nothing is free
If someone would post their powder load(without bullet info), I can calculate accurate barrel life.

There is a real difference between [barrel life] and [accurate barrel life].
When you work up a load(let's say 1/2moa), run with it, and then there is a shift, causing you to horse with it to regain somewhat consistent performance,, That's the [accurate barrel life] point. If you're happy with 'sub-moa' then you might get another 500 or even 1,000 at that, but you did kiss consistent 1/2moa goodbye.

I'm just suggesting that when seeking barrel life numbers this should be considered to form good information.
Same with case life. If you're choosing a cartridge that leads to high brass turnover, then I bet you would want to know that up front.
Nothing is free
If someone would post their powder load(without bullet info), I can calculate accurate barrel life.
82 grains N570

I have rebarreled my 28 3 times.

I was originally was hoping for 800-1000 rounds. After a total of 4 barrels I'm going to have to say 500-800 is about all your going to get realistically. The problem for me was the groups would grow a little let's say from 3/8 to 3/4 Moa, but not all the bullets would get to the target. I liked shooting the Hornady eldm but the jacket was fairly thin because once you had about 300 rounds down the barrel the throat erosion would damage the jacket and the bullet would go poof. Not all the time snd it took me awhile to figure it out. It drove me crazy I thought I had a flyer from time to time I then finally started shooting at 100 yards and then I would still have a flyer not on paper. It ended up being it wasn't a flyer the bullet was just coming apart

Recent Posts