28 Nosler barrel life

quarterman

As the title states, I am curious what kind of barrel life people are getting from their rifles in 28 nosler, spacificly with 175 to 197 grain bullets. I currently have 2 0n the go one shooting 175 grain eldx s at 3180 and another shooting 195 grain bergers at 3050. Both my barrels are fairly new right now , with one having 200 rounds through it and the other with 100, so Im trying to see what to expect. Thanks for you feed back.

I am at 600-700 and have shot similar loads as yours. Mostly shot the 195s, but have stopped due to heavy firecracking in the throat. Rifle still shoots the 175/180s very well 3130ish ragged hole so will continue on before re-barrels.

Severe firecracking is the big issue. You can always re-chamber a barrel when the throat is worn. But -my smith told me - if the remainder of the barrel is severely fire cracked, you would be wasting your money.

Mine is approaching 400 rounds and has moderate fire-cracking... I seriously doubt it will make 800 rounds but right now its shooting lights out.

I have a new 28nos with less than 100 rounds down the tube. I also have an old rem 700 that was converted from 7mag to 7STW back in the early 90's. For years I loaded that rifle fairly light and very fast with 140 and 150s 3200-3400fps. I just recently started working up some 180gr VLDs for it and for the 28Nos as well. The 2 rifles are ballistic twins and I was surprised to see that old Remington can still shoot 1 MOA even though it's got a much longer throat now. My guess the 28Nos barrel life will be similar to the STW

I polish the throats of my 28's every 100-150 rounds with JB's blue then red. I get 1500+ rounds out of every barrel but I also keep pressures under 65K unlike most.

You will be pleasantly surprised if you have a good shooting barrel that goes bad from a bit of fire cracking at the throat area, YOU FIRELAP IT. I've used a NECO Fire Lapping kit for several years to bring back accuracy after the round count gets up there, or with a factory barrel that needs the groupsize to shrink.

As the title states, I am curious what kind of barrel life people are getting from their rifles in 28 nosler, spacificly with 175 to 197 grain bullets. I currently have 2 0n the go one shooting 175 grain eldx s at 3180 and another shooting 195 grain bergers at 3050. Both my barrels are fairly new right now , with one having 200 rounds through it and the other with 100, so Im trying to see what to expect. Thanks for you feed back.

Depends on the rate of fire, powder used, bullet used, temps you are shooting in, quality of barrel being used and some other factors.
If you shoot 2-3 shot strings then let it cool properly it "might" last around 800 rds but there are no guarantees. Shoot 5 shot + strings through it like my buddy did with his 28 and the barrel will be toast in less than 400 rounds easily.

Depends on the rate of fire, powder used, bullet used, temps you are shooting in, quality of barrel being used and some other factors.
If you shoot 2-3 shot strings then let it cool properly it "might" last around 800 rds but there are no guarantees. Shoot 5 shot + strings through it like my buddy did with his 28 and the barrel will be toast in less than 400 rounds easily.
I've shot out 3 - 28Nos bbls. I'd only every shoot 2 rounds back to back, let it cool down for the 3rd shot.

First one lasted to 900, second one 700 and the last one was real bad at under 300. Ive moved onto a 30cal

28 Nosler has almost the same exact shortcomings as the 7STW. I can't really shoot it as much as I should, because of a shortened barrel life. I'm to the point, where, I want to just unscrew the 28N barrel and go with a 338RUM on this action? I love the Big 7mm's, it just kills stuff! But it is like owning a Top Fuel Dragster.

I have a few 280AI's and I shoot the 180 grains at 2900 FPS. One barrel has easily 1000 rounds down the tube. Strings of 3-5 rounds. They still shoot great. I've often wondered how long those barrels may last. My current build is going to be a 28. I wonder what the barrel life difference will be.

My buddy had one that went 800 rounds before he pulled it, but that barrel was run pretty hard at a couple of PRS style ELR matches. Your powder choice can make a big difference in barrel life. I got 950 through my 7 RUM before I pulled the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.