28 nosler barrel life

I have rebarreled my 28 3 times.

I was originally was hoping for 800-1000 rounds. After a total of 4 barrels I'm going to have to say 500-800 is about all your going to get realistically. The problem for me was the groups would grow a little let's say from 3/8 to 3/4 Moa, but not all the bullets would get to the target. I liked shooting the Hornady eldm but the jacket was fairly thin because once you had about 300 rounds down the barrel the throat erosion would damage the jacket and the bullet would go poof. Not all the time snd it took me awhile to figure it out. It drove me crazy I thought I had a flyer from time to time I then finally started shooting at 100 yards and then I would still have a flyer not on paper. It ended up being it wasn't a flyer the bullet was just coming apart
I had the same problem with the 180 ELD-M, except it was happening with less than 100 rounds down the tube. Switch to 180 Berger Hybrids and haven't looked back.

Yea it took me awhile to figure out where that gullet was going. It left me scratching my head and then once I figured it out I still didn't believe it. Lol

wow! I wonder how this 28 Sherman Mag is gonna be…I have one on the way. I was hoping to get 2000 rounds….or at least 1500. We'll see, I guess. Does seating at 0.050" - 0.100" help? Slowing below 3100 fps is kind of meaningless. I wonder if RL50 will be better or worse than RL33 or Retumbo.

Well, I'll have fun no matter how long it lasts!

82 grains N570
Thanks. I get 717

28Nosler.jpg

Don't build/buy a 28 that you can't do barrel swaps on if you plan on shooting it a lot. I have a Savage with a Proof barrel, I only have maybe 50 rounds down it, but I was intending on being able to get Proof barrels for it in the future. That's why I bought and didn't rent headspace gauges. Unfortunately for me, Proof quit making pre-fit 28 Nosler barrels, so I'll probably turn to Carbon6 or OMR for my next barrel unless I can grab a couple proof barrels that are still out there.

Hello Mike I use 86.6 grains of RL-33 could you see what your calculator would put out? Please and Thank you!!

Mine is gonna last around 500 rounds I can tell. Already have another barrel waiting for this one to smoke. The throat erosion is crazy so don't load up more than 20 rounds or so at a time or you will find it's almost a waste cause you have to extend the length out seems like what I have found 20 to 30 shots.
Confused me. What are you doing every 20-30 shots? Making your cartridge OAL longer? Mine has 180 rounds down it and it's still shooting the same size groups. .5-.6" at max pressure.

There is a real difference between [barrel life] and [accurate barrel life].
When you work up a load(let's say 1/2moa), run with it, and then there is a shift, causing you to horse with it to regain somewhat consistent performance,, That's the [accurate barrel life] point. If you're happy with 'sub-moa' then you might get another 500 or even 1,000 at that, but you did kiss consistent 1/2moa goodbye.

I'm just suggesting that when seeking barrel life numbers this should be considered to form good information.
Same with case life. If you're choosing a cartridge that leads to high brass turnover, then I bet you would want to know that up front.
Nothing is free
If someone would post their powder load(without bullet info), I can calculate accurate barrel life.
84.5 of retumbo