.28 Nosler at close range?

bonecollector777

I've searched just about everywhere and can't find much info so figured I'd ask here. I'm considering building a 28 nosler for long range hunting elk, deer, antelope. However I don't just hunt areas I will always be making 500+ yard shots. Some mule deer hunting I may jump up a buck at 50 yards. I'm imagining a 28 nosler bullet hitting a deer at something less than 100 yards and seeing it explode into little tiny pieces and not penetrating. Anyone have any real life experiences with shooting something at close range? Any specific bullet that still performs at close range as well as long range at those speeds?

I had some bad experiences with a 180 ELD and a 7mm Remington with very explosive performance. Muzzle velocity was 3030 fps and impacts were around 2700 or so. The impacts down around 2500 fps started behaving quite nicely.

This year I am packing a shortened and suppressed 6.5 shooting 147 ELD at around 2600 fps. They seem good on expansion down to 1800 fps. So I am good out to around 650-700 depending. Takes 40-42 grains of powder to do it though.

If I was driving that much velocity in a 28 Nosler, I'd probably be going mono bullets.

Im thinking about trying the new Federal TLR's. I did the math on my 30 SM and the 200 TLR will beat the 230 Hybrid at 1200 yards which is saying something! I start the 230 at 3050 and should be easily able to run 3200+ with the 200. They are supposed to expand down to 1350' and hold together at full bore with the solid copper shank and bonded front core. If they will group, they may be a very good choice.

I've just about shot out my 28 Nosler so I have some kills and some time on one, I would not use one for a do everything gun, the hammer bullets would be the only bullet I'd load and shoot up close. I've had guys literally blow the whole front end of a deer basically of with some of the most popular bullets, IMO it's best suited to heavier game or longer ranges. I'm extremely careful with mine, it's a lot of HP for that diameter of bullet!! I personally shoot the 195 Berger after 600 yards and the 177 Hammer inside that, I'll push the Hammer a little farther but I won't shoot anything else closer.

You just have to change your point of aim for shots that close. Dont try to bust shoulder bones if your worried about penetration. Neck shots are my personal fave for such a situation.

mule deer buck at 30 yards with 160 accubond factory loads, so 3300 fps on the box. 50 cent piece going in and a dime out the other side. straight through lung shot. deer went maybe 20 yards.

175 ELDX at 80 yards on an Antelope last year. My son was shooting and I was watching thru binos. He made a heart lung shot and I could see the blood pumping and spraying out. It spun for about 4 or 5 seconds and dropped. When we retrieved the animal, the terminal performance was perfect. Small entry and about a 1" to 1.5" exit hole.

I've searched just about everywhere and can't find much info so figured I'd ask here. I'm considering building a 28 nosler for long range hunting elk, deer, antelope. However I don't just hunt areas I will always be making 500+ yard shots. Some mule deer hunting I may jump up a buck at 50 yards. I'm imagining a 28 nosler bullet hitting a deer at something less than 100 yards and seeing it explode into little tiny pieces and not penetrating. Anyone have any real life experiences with shooting something at close range? Any specific bullet that still performs at close range as well as long range at those speeds?

i have been using a 7mm rem mag most of my life killed everything in north america mostly with 160 gr sierra boat tails hand loads. fired that load probably 10,000.rds old load data good case life 4or five rds before primer pockets loosen up chrono vel 3130 never any problem.using norma mrp or alliant reloader 22.at all ranges from 25 to 500 yds.any 150 or 160 gr.bullet will do it all from 100 lb whitetai to 1000lb moose.i wore out two bbls on various rifles.

i have been using a 7mm rem mag most of my life killed everything in north america mostly with 160 gr sierra boat tails hand loads. fired that load probably 10,000.rds old load data good case life 4or five rds before primer pockets loosen up chrono vel 3130 never any problem.using norma mrp or alliant reloader 22.at all ranges from 25 to 500 yds.any 150 or 160 gr.bullet will do it all from 100 lb whitetai to 1000lb moose.i wore out two bbls on various rifles.

Just got done with a South African safari in April and used the 28N with 175 A-frames on Zebra, Sable, Waterbuck, Red Hartebeest, and a Blesbuck. All were 1-shot kills and the shots were inside of 100 yards, and the Sable was only 40 (bang-flop). The Zebra, Sable & Hartebeest were all quartering-in shots. Excellent penetration & bullet performance. Recovered 1 from the Hartebeest, perfect mushroom, all others exited. The A-frames are tough bullets for sure. I would not have trusted the Bergers in those situations. Not saying they would not have gotten the job done, but you would need to be Very picky about shot placement. I shot a bighorn sheep with the 180 Hybrids last fall at 320 yards, right behind the shoulder, and the bullet exploded inside the chest cavity, no exit, just some shrapnel. That was a bang-flop, but I was not expecting that violent bullet performance at that distance.

A44232E1-2304-4BA0-A222-62D60938A3EA.jpeg
Im thinking about trying the new Federal TLR's. I did the math on my 30 SM and the 200 TLR will beat the 230 Hybrid at 1200 yards which is saying something! I start the 230 at 3050 and should be easily able to run 3200+ with the 200. They are supposed to expand down to 1350' and hold together at full bore with the solid copper shank and bonded front core. If they will group, they may be a very good choice.

Shot 5 rounds of the new TLR 175's yesterday. Shot a 3 shot group at 100 just to see POI and check velocity then burned the last two at 654yds steel... see pic.
Impressed so far. Plan on using them for an elk hunt this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.