TSX Performance At Close Range

Interesting.... I read another report about a year ago of an E-Tip making a large entrance hole in a bear. It did kill the bear. But most of the reports I've read were good reports by very happy hunters. I just read the customer reviews on Cabella's and Midway (6mm, 7mm and .308 on Midaway) And out of about 20 reports on hunting experiences (one shooting 8 African animals with the 7mm 150) all but two were pleased. One of the two made a shoulder shot on an elk which got up and ran off when he approached. I'm not sure if you can blame that on the bullet. The other reported pencil holing through a couple of whitetail.

Form all the reports I've read so far they seem to have about a 90-95% approval rating on game which is probably as good or better than most other bullets.

Here's the one write up from Midway on the 7mm 150 E-Tip...

I used this bullet in my 280 Remington on a South Africa plains game hunt this spring. Accuracy is 3/4" at 100 yards. I shot eight animals: Wart hogs, Impala, but also a Blue Wildebeest through the shoulders was a pass through. A Waterbuck through the shoulders and recovered the bullet under the hide. It weighed 149grs and expanded to .587" and a Zebra heart shot, could not find the bullet. One bullet from a Warthog lengthwise that, bullet was a match of the other one. Needless to say I was extremely pleased with this Rifle bullet combination as was My PH, who thought it might be too light for the bigger animals. I used a 180gr e-tip from a 30-06 Ackley on my Eland with similar results. Thanks Nosler for a great product.

If you're part of the two bullet camp, one for long range shots and one for closer ranges, then the importance of a high BC short range bullet is largely eliminated.

For closer range use, utmost accuracy isn't even a necessity. Close range terminal performance is my highest priority and my short range bullet must survive high velocity impacts sufficiently to deliver penetrating lethal wound paths. We've got quite a population of big bears. Other personal preferences also influence my short range bullet selection. I don't want excessive meat and tissue damage, and I don't like to blow the capes and hides all ta hell because those are often recovered and used or sold in the taxidermy trade here in Alaska.

So... I don't know what to make of the eTips for the time being. I've given them one trial on a 10 1/2 year old ram - didn't expect, or care for, the results I got. And that was at 420 yds! My next close range game kill will be with a Nosler Accubond or a Barnes TSX of some shape or form, based on a fair number of experiences with them on a wide variety of large game species. The fact that TSXs are banded and have a lower BC than some other bullets is irrelevant out to the distances I'll be shooting them. As to the eTips; I'm adopting a wait, read of other's experiences, and see position.

I started to read this post as I have purchased some TSX for 7MM and .257, as I hunt with a friend on the Central Coast of california where lead is banned. I find the discussion of using two bullets interesting. I have been trying to extend my range and have been using the Berger VLD's, as it's hard to beat the 617 BC in my 7MM Mag. The bergers have worked well in that gun, but not so much in my 25-06. The bergers, like many reports here, penciled through on behind shoulder shots, where ribs where not even hit. There wasn't even much damage to the lungs other that perfect little holes, as there was apparently no expansion at all from bullets none for going in 3-6 inches and detonating.

The bullets I used exclusively before trying for better BC's where the Nosler Accubond. This is a bullet that has very good BC and for all accounts and all my experiences performs very well. They don't always pass through so they don't leave that huge blood trail, but they certainly seem as good a bullet as there is for that one bullet does it all up to very long ranges.

I still have to figure out how to get these TSX's to shoot well for this pig hunt. My friend who lives in California also shoots the same rifles as me so I'm trying ot find a load that works for him as well.

You guys have me wondering about the TSXs now. I shoot the TSX out of my 257Wby and they shoot really good. I've shot two antelope, (150yd, 660yd), two deer, (225yd, 250yd) and one coyote at 577yds. All dropped like a sack of bricks. I've never recovered a bullet yet. I'm not sure if they zipped right through or what. I want a bullet that imparts all it's energy in the animal. Not sure what to do here.

What to do? Stick with your TSXs, sounds like they're working just fine. I've been using TSXs for years and the TTSXs since they came out and have yet to lose an animal. I'm in the Hunting Business in South Texas and due to management practices, usually end up taking a considerable number of animals each year, along with the help of my guides, family and friends. I've rolled my own ammo since the mid '60s and used just about every "Latest, Greatest" bullet since that time.....and have never seen a bullet perform as well and consistent as the TSX and TTSXs at close or long range. I shoot light for caliber and push them as fast as possible without sacrificing accuracy......100 TSX in 25-06 @ 3224 fps; 120 TSX in 264 Win Mag @ 3310 fps; 120 TTSX in 280 Rem @ 3212 fps; 140 TSX in 280 Rem @ 3004 fps; 130 TTSX in 300 Wby @ 3585 fps; 150 TTSX in 300 Wby @ 3455 fps; 180 TSX in 300 Wby @ 3197 fps. I can't really say which is my favorite because they all shoot extremely accurate....1 MOA or less. I'm probably most partial to the 25-06 and the 280 with the 120 TTSXs for whitetail. No bullets ever recovered. Have to do a lot of hog eradication, as well. Not too worried about shot angle on hogs ....bullets always pass completely through even with bad angle shots. 300 Wby with 130s at nearly 3600 fps are totally devastating on anything they pass through. I guess I'll be shooting these bullets from now on unless something else proves to be better.....don't know how that could happen!! Shoot whatever works for you, but if you'll keep using these bullets and use good bullet placement, I'll bet you'll be more than satisfied with them......sounds like you already are but are just letting different opinions confuse you!

I think that would be a wise decision! Another thing that I failed to mention in my previous post was your comment about wanting a bullet that expends all of it's energy in an animal.....well, in my business, I want a bullet that does plenty of damage enternally, but it's just as important to have an exit hole and a blood trail to follow. I get a lot of hunters who have never experienced South Texas hunting and some of them get extremely excited and sometimes bullet placement isn't all that I'd like it to be....I don't want a bullet that is going to expend all of it's energy inside the animal and never exit. This has never been the issue with Barnes Bullets......I wish more of my clients would use them! Good Luck, God Bless & Merry Christmas!

Ya your right STX. I got thinking after my last post and decided that I should keep shooting TSXs. They're working great and they're very accurate.

You dont have to abandon your proven load and at the same time, there's nothing wrong with trying something new. TSX's are not great LR bullets so if you're looking for longer range I dont think there's anything wrong with experimenting with higher BC bullets and/or different powders. That's how we learne and that's how we improve.

I agree with MontanaRifleman....there's nothing wrong with trying other bullets with higher BCs....I've used most premium bullets over the years and recently have had great results with VLDs and Accubonds shooting paper at extended ranges and wouldn't hesitate to use either if I was shooting at ranges where the Barnes Bullets dropped below 1800 fps..... it's not often that I shoot game outside of 500-600 yds. I'm currently deciding on a caliber for an ultra long range rifle and when it's built, I'll no doubt use higher BC bullets for extended range but will continue to use TSX/TTSXs for anything above 1800 fps....

I plan on trying the VLDs. If they shoot better that will be great. If they don't then I still have a good load with the TSXs. Besides, It's an excuse to go shoot some more, right?:D

Seems like all the loads I TRY THE BARNES group good, shot alot of game with them. Son shot a whitey buck this year, 62 gr.tsx ,223 dropped like a stone 300 yrds. I neck shot deer, mistake, long chase 325 wsm up close 180tsx, saw where bullet went in snow, looked for bullet, wish I LOOKED MORE. Funny thing was I had 200 gr nab in earlier, for tight timber.

I think that would be a wise decision! Another thing that I failed to mention in my previous post was your comment about wanting a bullet that expends all of it's energy in an animal.....well, in my business, I want a bullet that does plenty of damage enternally, but it's just as important to have an exit hole and a blood trail to follow. I get a lot of hunters who have never experienced South Texas hunting and some of them get extremely excited and sometimes bullet placement isn't all that I'd like it to be....I don't want a bullet that is going to expend all of it's energy inside the animal and never exit. This has never been the issue with Barnes Bullets......I wish more of my clients would use them! Good Luck, God Bless & Merry Christmas!

I see the "wasted" energy debate all the time. My question is how fast are the bullets exiting? If they are exiting at less than 500fps who cares? You are likely only wasting 300ft/lb of energy (bullet weight and velocity dependent of course). You are only "wasting" a small amount of energy that I would trade for an exit wound that will bleed better than an entry wound anyway.

I am by no means an expert, but I have killed 20-25 animals, from whitetail to moose and black bear with the 165tsx out of my 300wsm and the 180gr tsx from a 325wsm, all were hit at under 100 yards. Most have exited, some with small caliber sized exit wounds, but upon a "autopsy" there was always massive damage to the heart/lungs. I have put them into a black bears upper leg bone from less than 30 yards and they broke the on side leg, off side leg and exited. I shot a whitetail doe with the 325/180 tsx from 25 feet last year, pinhole in pinhole out, lungs and heart destroyed, literally just poured out of the chest cavity.

I pick my bullet/rifle combo by what is appropriate for the purpose of the rifle and what is the most accurate out of the individual rifle. Sometimes it the tsx, sometimes accubonds, sometimes the Berger VLD.

I see the "wasted" energy debate all the time. My question is how fast are the bullets exiting? If they are exiting at less than 500fps who cares? You are likely only wasting 300ft/lb of energy (bullet weight and velocity dependent of course). You are only "wasting" a small amount of energy that I would trade for an exit wound that will bleed better than an entry wound anyway.

I am by no means an expert, but I have killed 20-25 animals, from whitetail to moose and black bear with the 165tsx out of my 300wsm and the 180gr tsx from a 325wsm, all were hit at under 100 yards. Most have exited, some with small caliber sized exit wounds, but upon a "autopsy" there was always massive damage to the heart/lungs. I have put them into a black bears upper leg bone from less than 30 yards and they broke the on side leg, off side leg and exited. I shot a whitetail doe with the 325/180 tsx from 25 feet last year, pinhole in pinhole out, lungs and heart destroyed, literally just poured out of the chest cavity.

I pick my bullet/rifle combo by what is appropriate for the purpose of the rifle and what is the most accurate out of the individual rifle. Sometimes it the tsx, sometimes accubonds, sometimes the Berger VLD.

WELL PUT LongBomber!! ....you've got to have an exit hole for a blood trail.....and everything between the two holes is usually turned to "Jelly" with the TTSX/TSXs. In the South Texas Brush Country, if the animal doesn't drop at the shot, you'd better have a blood trail or your chances of finding him are greatly diminished! And by all means, pick the right bullet for the situation/rifle based on accuracy/velocity. However, all of my rifles are either custom built or have been accurized and shoot a variety of bullets well and all will shoot the Barnes bullets extremely accurate.... MOA or better. I won't have a rifle that won't shoot at least MOA! The VLDs and Accubonds shoot extremely well in the rifles I've tried them in and the Accubond has performed well on the game(hogs) I've taken with it....all at moderate ranges.....but I haven't tried the VLDs on anything other than paper, so far, but plan to try them on hogs in the next few weeks. But if I'm after Big Whitetail, I don't have to think about which bullet to use....it will be a Barnes TTSX or TSX! As long as you do your part, you don't have to worry about finding your animal. He's usually laying where you shot him with blood oozing out of both holes, as well as his mouth and nose....DRT!! Like LongBomber says "who cares" if you're wasting a little energy.....the object is a clean kill and animal recovery and without a blood trail, that can be difficult!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.