.28 Nosler at close range?

A bullet like the hammer or TLR. ELDX will grenade up close. 2 WT's and Pronghorn, it killed all 3 but no exit on behind the shoulders shots at 100 or less only found a few small pieces of the jacket, if you hit a big bone might be bad trouble. Its hard to find a do all bullet, I have been working on loads with TLR in my 300wsm going to try it on some hogs both close and far this fall. Its been pretty finicky thus far, but have a load with H4831sc that's pretty consistent at .6.

I've searched just about everywhere and can't find much info so figured I'd ask here. I'm considering building a 28 nosler for long range hunting elk, deer, antelope. However I don't just hunt areas I will always be making 500+ yard shots. Some mule deer hunting I may jump up a buck at 50 yards. I'm imagining a 28 nosler bullet hitting a deer at something less than 100 yards and seeing it explode into little tiny pieces and not penetrating. Anyone have any real life experiences with shooting something at close range? Any specific bullet that still performs at close range as well as long range at those speeds?
A 177 grain Hammer hunter from a 8 twist barrel would be no issue from point blank to 1k!

If that's your main criteria, a traditional soft point 175gn Partition, Grand Slam or Sierra Game King SBT.
Doe mule deer, 30 yards, 7STW 175 Sierra Game King, DRT, 7mm entry, fist size exit, we done.

3-4 yrs ago I shot a whitetail in Nebraska quartering to me at 30 yds with a 300wsm 180 accubond ( the round preformed perfectly)

I use to shoot 180 grain Berger vld out of my 28 Nosler. However with Antelope size game I would get fist size or larger exit holes on broadside shots with a lot of damage to meat, even past hundred yards. The animals were definitely dead but I didn't like the huge hole. So the Berger vld are best on long-range shots with larger game. What I realized is that they started their major explosive expansion as they were leaving the antelope we're on an elk all that energy would have been absorbed inside the cavity. I did however switch over to the Hornady 175 ELD X and have not had that issue. Granted I have not had any shots less than a hundred yards but at 300 or more they perform flawlessly.

I have an unbelievably accurate rifle throated for the 195 grain EOL bullets. I have shot deer close that have actually completely flipped over on close range due to the impact. I have been in a deer stand for most of my life during hunting season, and I have only shot two incredible bucks. The first was a beautiful ten point, which would have appeared on any magazine cover. The second was this last hunting season. The first I was using a 300 wm. Second a 28 Nosler. Both of these deer have should have been DRT. but, I never recovered either. The one thing that was common between both these deer, Berger elite hunter bullets. Only two deer I ever lost. Both penciled through the deer. Blood was found and neither was ever recovered. 28 Nosler is an incredible cartridge, but you might want to look at the price of brass first and barrel longevity before you dive in head first.

With soft bullets at magnum speeds you might experience bullet blow up on impact especially if you hit bone, now the animal will die but it will be a slow death.

The Hornady 162gr SST does great work at long range and it doesn't blow up at close range when its annealed. Another is the Norler Accubond LR.

I've read the TLR is good for both close and long range but have no experience with it.

Bullet blow up was absolutely not a concern within 150 yards. It was more like you shoot them them, they do a 360 degree flip and that's is that. From 200 yards, which my 300 win mag was zeroed at, with a buck at exactly two hundred yards away. (Yes, I actually measured the distance) the buck vanished. No sign of a hit until two hundred yards further where he laid down and I found a decent pool of lung blood. From there it was only him blowing it out of his nose. Straight into a river. Where you could see where he tumbled down the bank and was swept away. Second buck, exactly 405 yards. Shot him, saw him turn and shoulder was having problems with the turn. 2 hours later went to look for him after asking a few people to help. This buck was laid up 15 yards from where I shot him. He jumped up when I was stepping over a huge tangled mess of undergrowth and took off. A small amount of blood on either side of where he was laying and a big pile of drool. Never found him.

I grew up in Michigan killing deer with a 12 gauge. When I moved to Montana several years ago and was researching western hunting rifles, I decided on a 300 win mag. A couple of guys told me that the 300 shot too light of bullet too fast to kill elk reliably. I was young and didn't know any better so I bought a 338 win mag. Many years later I shoot a 300 win( very successfully I might add). In my opinion bullet performance is way more important than the cartridge it is shot from. I elk doesn't know if he was shot from s 7mm mag or a 28 Nosler. That part is hunter preference. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.