Berger 215 Hybrid Performance on Elk at Close Range

B-P-UU

Thought I would share my experience with these pills and their close range performance on elk. The setting is opening day of the MT general elk season. I had slowly worked my way down into a large park where I had encountered elk in the past. I had positioned myself on the edge of the park with some shooting sticks, sitting behind a downed tree. I could hear some elk heading my direction in the timber behind me, but decided to stay put and adjust my sticks to where I had seen other elk enter the park on different occasions. Things got quiet and I could see them sneaking through the timber. The lead cow got to the edge of the park to check things out like they always do. She started heading (quartering) towards me, cutting across the park. The rest of the elk were filing along behind her; I finally saw what I thought appeared to be a bull in the timber based on his hide color. With all the elk out in the park, he came out of the shadows and stopped behind a pine tree. The lead cow was about 30 yds from me at this point and I was worried about getting busted. Finally, he started on the same path as the rest of them. Once the shot was clear, I let him have it. The first shot hit him hard in the front shoulder; he reared up like a horse and tucked that leg a bit, but was on the move shortly after the shot. I chambered another round and put it a little bit higher and forward of the first shot. With the bullet's impact, he tucked all four legs and slid to a stop. He was anchored.
Both shots were right around 100 yds. For the first shot, he was quartering towards me so it was a frontal shoulder shot. It broke the shoulder, damaged a lung, and some of the projectile exited the hide on the opposite side. The second shot would be considered a broadside-high shoulder shot. Some of the shrapnel must have hit the spine based on his reaction. It is safe to say the first shot would have killed him, but one more round was cheap insurance.
Muzzle velocity was 3085 FPS out of a .300 RUM. With the hide off, I found one pin hole for an entrance hole on the front shoulder muscle; this appeared to be the first shot. Once I took the front shoulder off, the damage became more apparent. The bullets had clearly started to expand and multiple ribs were broken with each shot. There was no indication of the second shot exiting.

I'm not a "Berger Guy" by any means. In fact, this was my first experience with any of their products in any caliber. I shoot a lot of Hornady and Barnes products but these bullets performed well and wanted to share my experience.

How I found him: note the tuft of hair behind the shoulder; this is the exit wound (quite small):
20131026_115053-1.jpg

With the shoulder off:
20131026_150831.jpg

20131026_150838.jpg

Thought I would share my experience with these pills and their close range performance on elk. The setting is opening day of the MT general elk season. I had slowly worked my way down into a large park where I had encountered elk in the past. I had positioned myself on the edge of the park with some shooting sticks, sitting behind a downed tree. I could hear some elk heading my direction in the timber behind me, but decided to stay put and adjust my sticks to where I had seen other elk enter the park on different occasions. Things got quiet and I could see them sneaking through the timber. The lead cow got to the edge of the park to check things out like they always do. She started heading (quartering) towards me, cutting across the park. The rest of the elk were filing along behind her; I finally saw what I thought appeared to be a bull in the timber based on his hide color. With all the elk out in the park, he came out of the shadows and stopped behind a pine tree. The lead cow was about 30 yds from me at this point and I was worried about getting busted. Finally, he started on the same path as the rest of them. Once the shot was clear, I let him have it. The first shot hit him hard in the front shoulder; he reared up like a horse and tucked that leg a bit, but was on the move shortly after the shot. I chambered another round and put it a little bit higher and forward of the first shot. With the bullet's impact, he tucked all four legs and slid to a stop. He was anchored.
Both shots were right around 100 yds. For the first shot, he was quartering towards me so it was a frontal shoulder shot. It broke the shoulder, damaged a lung, and some of the projectile exited the hide on the opposite side. The second shot would be considered a broadside-high shoulder shot. Some of the shrapnel must have hit the spine based on his reaction. It is safe to say the first shot would have killed him, but one more round was cheap insurance.
Muzzle velocity was 3085 FPS out of a .300 RUM. With the hide off, I found one pin hole for an entrance hole on the front shoulder muscle; this appeared to be the first shot. Once I took the front shoulder off, the damage became more apparent. The bullets had clearly started to expand and multiple ribs were broken with each shot. There was no indication of the second shot exiting.

I'm not a "Berger Guy" by any means. In fact, this was my first experience with any of their products in any caliber. I shoot a lot of Hornady and Barnes products but these bullets performed well and wanted to share my experience.
Very good write up! And a nice bull!

I have some of the Berger 180 Hybrids for my 7mm rifles, and was planning on using them for deer hunting this year, but was skeptical about close-range shots (under 150). I have been reading ALOT of folks saying the Hybrids will expand very well and stay together with a massive wound cavity (exacly as your pictures show) into wet newspapers and phonebooks. The similarity in the wound cavity of your bull and the wet phonebooks is uncanny.

Thank you for this info and write-up as it now gives me the peace of mind to shoot deer with the 180 Hybrids this year. I will also give my report once I have a chance to use them.

Congratulations on a great hunt and bull and special thanks for taking the time to share the results!!:D

Congrats on a very nice bull and good shooting.

Also for sharing a well documented, accurate report.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff... The multitude of animals you have harvested with this bullet in a win mag got me looking for better mouse trap.

Very good write up! And a nice bull!

I have some of the Berger 180 Hybrids for my 7mm rifles, and was planning on using them for deer hunting this year, but was skeptical about close-range shots (under 150). I have been reading ALOT of folks saying the Hybrids will expand very well and stay together with a massive wound cavity (exacly as your pictures show) into wet newspapers and phonebooks. The similarity in the wound cavity of your bull and the wet phonebooks is uncanny.

Thank you for this info and write-up as it now gives me the peace of mind to shoot deer with the 180 Hybrids this year. I will also give my report once I have a chance to use them.

I don't have any experience with the 180's in 7mm, but I would suspect they will work just fine on whitetails. Look forward to your report.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts