210 berger at close range

Not exactly the info you asked for. 600-700 pind six point bull at 50 yards, 215 hybrid at 2900 fps. Behind the should top of the heart. Entrance was the size of a quarter in the middle of a rib, exit was the size of a softball. The heart was almost completely gone, over half the lungs were jello. The amount of destruction was incredible.

20181122_125513.jpg 20181122_125408.jpg I have had a bad experience on two shoulder shots on whitetails with 185gr. Berger classic hunter at sub 120 yards with my 300 Whby mag @3188 fps. They both ran off with major damage. With that said I know it's not the 210 VLD's but gives my experience with Berger's I have learned to stay off the shoulder and i still love the bullets and will continue to use them. The Doe in this picture was at 507 yards and the Buck at 488 yards both with 185gr juggernaut.

Up close, accuracy is not so much a problem so shot placement is not really an issue but don't take it for granted that any game will just stand there and pose for you so you can shoot them behind the shoulder.... Up close the game will spook easily so a taking a quick shot is important.... IMO- The answer is a bullet quiver. Putting 2 long range bullets in the quiver and single load them. You then load some Hammer Hunters or Barnes in the mag for the closer shots.
Solid advice
I do the same thing after seeing three different bulls wounded at close range with shoulder shots from non bonded bullets.
Those who claim that berger bullets passed through both elk shoulders up close didn't hit the main leg bone I can guarantee you that!

Using the Berger 210 VLDH, I've shot one deer (~150lb) at 82 yards. Bullet penetrated all the way thru, with no evidence of coming apart. Impact was center ribs behind shoulder, slightly quartering towards me. Exit was ribcage opposite side, middle. The buck dropped at the shot. Loading him on the game cart revealed a broken back.

I also shot a 150-175 lb hog with the same load at ~50-60 yards. Impact was behind shoulder on a broadside hog. Exit was in three places offside. This bullet cleary came apart, but left a gaping hole on the rearmost exit, which was the left rear ham, a pencil size exit directly opposite the impact, and a good size hole in front of the shoulder, actually exiting behind the off-side ear.

My muzzle velocity is 3144 FPS instrumental at 18 feet (~3149.9 at the muzzle).

I shot a big kudu at 300 yards and hit his shoulder blade with a Berger from a 30-06. The bone was shattered and shredded the heart with bone shrapnel. It made two steps and keeled over. Kudu are tough animals. My guide shook his head at the shattered bullet but was amazed at the destruction

I shot a big kudu at 300 yards and hit his shoulder blade with a Berger from a 30-06. The bone was shattered and shredded the heart with bone shrapnel. It made two steps and keeled over. Kudu are tough animals. My guide shook his head at the shattered bullet but was amazed at the destruction

On that hit and range, you would likely have better luck with an '06 than a 300 rum! Impact velocity probably wasnt more than 2200'?

Perhaps now is a good time to remind Berger users to always make sure the bullet tip is open. This will ensure it performs as advertised.

Solid advice
I do the same thing after seeing three different bulls wounded at close range with shoulder shots from non bonded bullets.
Those who claim that berger bullets passed through both elk shoulders up close didn't hit the main leg bone I can guarantee you that!
Yes sir it's hard enough to go through a whitetail shoulder up close but when they slow down the resulting impact is much better for heavy terminal ballistics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.