270wsm twist rate?

emmagator

Will a 1-10 twist rate be ok for berger 150gr and the 169.5 wildcats when they are available? Or is there a better twist rate? Wonder if i wanted to throw in a 140gr accubond, how would that work out?

Will a 1-10 twist rate be ok for berger 150gr and the 169.5 wildcats when they are available? Or is there a better twist rate? Wonder if i wanted to throw in a 140gr accubond, how would that work out?

The 10 twist will work great with 150 and 140 grain bullets, some may be better than others as usual. I know some have shot the 169.5 out of a 10 twist and it did fine but I also know the 1-8 is popular for it. E-mail Paul and ask him, he's good about getting back to you when he can.
As soon as I have them in my hot little hands I'll know, I have guns or barrels lined up with 11,10 and 9 twist barrels and may get an 8 coming soon for the Matrix VLD. Some times you just have to let them fly and see how it works gun):D

The 10 twist will work great with 150 and 140 grain bullets, some may be better than others as usual. I know some have shot the 169.5 out of a 10 twist and it did fine but I also know the 1-8 is popular for it. E-mail Paul and ask him, he's good about getting back to you when he can.
As soon as I have them in my hot little hands I'll know, I have guns or barrels lined up with 11,10 and 9 twist barrels and may get an 8 coming soon for the Matrix VLD. Some times you just have to let them fly and see how it works gun):D

+1 on the 140-150's. For the wildcats, I would definitely go tighter....Rich

+1 on the 140-150's. For the wildcats, I would definitely go tighter....Rich
So if i went 1-9 would that still shoot 140 150s ok? My thinking behind this thread is that i would like to be able to shoot different bullets if possible. But it sounds like i could get a twist that shoots several bullets well, but none exceptionally well, if that makes sense. A give and take type deal.

So if i went 1-9 would that still shoot 140 150s ok? My thinking behind this thread is that i would like to be able to shoot different bullets if possible. But it sounds like i could get a twist that shoots several bullets well, but none exceptionally well, if that makes sense. A give and take type deal.

Yes, it will shoot the lighter bullets just fine. The most important thing is to have enough twist for the longest bullet you are going to shoot. The people that are the most concerned about having the EXACT twist are bench rest guys that are only shooting one bullet. They want just enough twist to stabilize the bullet because over twisting can magnify any flaws in the bullet which decreases accuracy. Bear in mind, they are trying to squeeze out an extra hundredth of an inch. If you are going to shoot a variety of bullets, you ALWAYS go with a twist that will shoot the longest one. Hope this helps....Rich

Yes, it will shoot the lighter bullets just fine. The most important thing is to have enough twist for the longest bullet you are going to shoot. The people that are the most concerned about having the EXACT twist are bench rest guys that are only shooting one bullet. They want just enough twist to stabilize the bullet because over twisting can magnify any flaws in the bullet which decreases accuracy. Bear in mind, they are trying to squeeze out an extra hundredth of an inch. If you are going to shoot a variety of bullets, you ALWAYS go with a twist that will shoot the longest one. Hope this helps....Rich
Awesome didnt know that. Ill find out what wildcat recommends on their 169.5. Thanks

The 270 AM is built with an 8 twist barrel and it shoots up to the 195gr Wildcat and I know guys who shoot 150gr bullets to conserve their Wildcat supply and they shoot very well also. The Matrix Ballistics bullets in a 165 and 175 VLD need a 1-8 twist according to them. Most of the proven Wildcat shooters have 8 twist barrels and the newest bullets coming on line are using an 8 twist also so if that is any indication it's not hard to do the math :D

The 270 AM is built with an 8 twist barrel and it shoots up to the 195gr Wildcat and I know guys who shoot 150gr bullets to conserve their Wildcat supply and they shoot very well also. The Matrix Ballistics bullets in a 165 and 175 VLD need a 1-8 twist according to them. Most of the proven Wildcat shooters have 8 twist barrels and the newest bullets coming on line are using an 8 twist also so if that is any indication it's not hard to do the math :D

Sounds like a 1-8 is the way to go. I dont see those heavier bullets on matrix ballistics site, are they new?

The 165 and 175 are not in retail production yet but have been out getting tested and they have been doing good from what the word is and full production will happen soon. They seem like good stuff, I have a box of 165's but haven't had time to get anything together yet. The word so far is a BC of .700 which is in the range of real interesting :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.