270win to 270 wby

The 27 Nosler is a solid cartridge too and I may go with it but I want to scratch this 270wby itch. I need to call some gunsmiths and see what both scenarios will cost. This is more about the rifle I want than being cheap.

I mainly work on switch barrel set ups with Winchester Model 70's & Remington 700's.
I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding Tikka actions, but if they are set up to feed from the action rails, then they will need to be opened up to suit the larger cartridge.
The follower may also need to be changed and I hear that the mag boxes on Tikka's are very short, shorter than 3.4" as most standard actions measure, besides Remingtons.

A lot of my clients often have the same idea as you, but soon realise that buying a CHEAP donor, rebarreling and truing the action often ends up the same price or a little cheaper.
I have done this a few times on Howa 1500 actions and Vanguards. It works out quite affordable for them.
Food for thought.

Cheers.
I'm not buying a CHEAP rifle as a donor. Im buying a $2000 Sako rifle because the stock fits me perfectly and I really like the rifle. I dont care what it costs to do what I want. Im just trying to find the best way to go about it. I figured if it was just a rechambering then I might be able to hunt with it this year.

I'm not buying a CHEAP rifle as a donor. Im buying a $2000 Sako rifle because the stock fits me perfectly and I really like the rifle. I dont care what it costs to do what I want. Im just trying to find the best way to go about it. I figured if it was just a rechambering then I might be able to hunt with it this year.
Good for you.

Cheers.

I echo the "good for you."
And given your plan I think just buying a magnum-faced bolt new from Sako will be the way to go, for all the reasons. At that point this truly becomes less than a one-day job for a good gunsmith. You just have to find a good gunsmith that has a day to spare for you! Do you already have one picked out?

Good luck and go for it.
Keep us posted.
Rex

Was there any other work you had to have done to the rifle other than rechambering and bolt head opened up?
I got a Tikka 300 win Magazine but the 270 magazine would work too. I love tikka rifles to make customs and wildcats. The reason is their as smooth as butter have great triggers and don't need anything else unless you just want a different stock.

Let's say the gunsmith charges you $100-150 to open the bolt up. I'd much rather put that towards a barrel. If for no other reason but to stack the odds in your favor.

I'm like the guy above, I wouldn't spend any money at all on a factory barrel. YMMV

fwiw - I also refuse to pay a gunsmith to set back a barrel. If you pay them for barrel work, pay them to do a new barrel. The cost savings isn't significant. If you have a lathe and can do the work yourself it makes sense.

Also, someone mentioned if it cleaned up the existing chamber it would be worth it. I've never seen a gunsmith charge less in that scenario....nor should they, the setup is the same regardless.

good luck, sounds like you've made up your mind regardless.

I echo the "good for you."
And given your plan I think just buying a magnum-faced bolt new from Sako will be the way to go, for all the reasons. At that point this truly becomes less than a one-day job for a good gunsmith. You just have to find a good gunsmith that has a day to spare for you! Do you already have one picked out?

Good luck and go for it.
Keep us posted.
Rex
I dont have one picked out yet. Im in Colorado so I'm starting my search now. Thank you

Let's say the gunsmith charges you $100-150 to open the bolt up. I'd much rather put that towards a barrel. If for no other reason but to stack the odds in your favor.

I'm like the guy above, I wouldn't spend any money at all on a factory barrel. YMMV

fwiw - I also refuse to pay a gunsmith to set back a barrel. If you pay them for barrel work, pay them to do a new barrel. The cost savings isn't significant. If you have a lathe and can do the work yourself it makes sense.

Also, someone mentioned if it cleaned up the existing chamber it would be worth it. I've never seen a gunsmith charge less in that scenario....nor should they, the setup is the same regardless.

good luck, sounds like you've made up your mind regardless.
I see your point and yes I'd be taking a risk by using a factory barrel and Im certainly considering going with a new barrel. I dont have a lathe so I'll be going with a gunsmith for all the work. I certainly dont expect a gunsmith to charge less to rechamber a factory barrel. I'll pay what they charge, Im not concerned about that. Thank you for the info and suggestions

BOMAN -
Good for you! I provided my gunsmith with a SAKO L61 action for a 27 Nosler build. The 85 SAKO action may limit your bullet choice with their pop in mag box. May be ok with the Bee coal but check it out. I am actually more excited about a winter build with new light Defiance action building for 270 Wby with 8 twist barrel. Combo of power and low recoil of the 270 Wby is sweet. Currently enjoying loading and shooting 145 Hammers in my vintage 270 Weatherby.

Last edited:
Good for you.

Cheers.
If You can buy a
I used Tikka t3 270 wsm and re chambered it to 270 wby and used the largest tikka magazine. I love this rifle so much that I turned my other Tikka t3 270 winchester into a 270 Wby as well. Only thing you have to open up the bolt face to .523". Both shoot sub 1/2 moa. Hopefully the SAKO can be used in the same manner.

Update: All of the gunsmiths ive spoken with are saying they would rather rebarrel than rechamber. I'm actually going to use the new Sako S20 rather than a model 85. I think because this is a newer action the smiths are insure of it. This along with the S20 not being out yet has delayed the project bit I'm still going to do it. Thanks everyone

Update: All of the gunsmiths ive spoken with are saying they would rather rebarrel than rechamber. I'm actually going to use the new Sako S20 rather than a model 85. I think because this is a newer action the smiths are insure of it. This along with the S20 not being out yet has delayed the project bit I'm still going to do it. Thanks everyone
New Sako's are extremely accurate out of the box! Why would you re- barrel and not utilize the new Sako barrel. Either way you will have re chamber and take the bolt face out to .520".

Jpope02, I would really prefer to use the factory barrel first but the gunsmiths Ive spoken with said no. They said its too much trouble and would cost the same. Ive been quoted from $650 to $850 for rechamber. I dont really care about the cost, I just wanted this to be a simple project. Hell a few smiths said they would only do a custom build. I also didnt realize how rare a 270wby reamer apparently is. This is a good learning opportunity.

I think I read on here that you liked the Sako because of the way it fit you. The S20 is a completely different animal. Might I suggest you just buy a Sako L61r in 300WM and rebarrel it to your bee. The 300WM's are easily found and the bolt face and long mag capacity will fit your project well. Can't say I'm in favor of rebarreling a good ole Sako, but that's what I would do. Love all my old Sako's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.