270win to 270 wby

Does the 270 Wby reamer completely "clean up" the 270 Win chamber without requiring the barrel to be set back? It looks like it from the diagrams but I don't know for sure. If yes, that reduces the cost of the OP's original plan.

Cheers,
Rex

If you are dead set on a 270 weatherby a mighty fine cartridge by the way I would sell or trade my 270 win on a magnum action or just buy an action and build one the weatherby will shine with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets on the other hand in my 270 win 24 inch barrel i am getting a little over 3000 fps with a berger 150 plenty good to 700 on game

Trexf16,

Good question. I dont know if it cleans it up completely or not. I will find out.

Jmw67, why would you sell the 270 win to start with a magnum action? What advantages are there to doing it that way? It seems like if i start with a 270win Ill need to rechamber and some action work. If I start with a magnum action Then a complete rebarrel job. Am I close or still way off? Thank you

a chambering is required regardless...zero reason to have a smith rechamber a factory barrel. I figured that was a given.
if the factory Tikka rifle barrels were accurate as a .270win, which they were, I saved the cost of a barrel. Both conversions shoot less than 1/2"@100. I might have been lucky but Tikka and Sako rifles are very very accurate out of the box and so is my 25/06 to 257 weatherby re-chambered T3.

if the factory Tikka rifle barrels were accurate as a .270win, which they were, I saved the cost of a barrel. Both conversions shoot less than 1/2"@100. I might have been lucky but Tikka and Sako rifles are very very accurate out of the box and so is my 25/06 to 257 weatherby re-chambered T3.
Nothing wrong with sending the 150 gr and under bullets out at 3100 FPS through a standard 10 twist. They will do anything you need them to.

It does make me laugh that people knock on the 270 caliber as much as they do about bullet selection. There isn't as much selection as some other calibers but most of the bullets you can get are good quality hunting bullets and I don't need 40 choices of different target bullets.

I am in a similar boat as I am in the process of having a 270 win re-chambered to 270 AI. I like the idea of a faster twist but it's a fairly new barrel that looks to be accurate enough that I don't want to get rid of it.

Not sure if he ever built one but Bigngreen talked about doing a 270 Blaser mag which should make for a real nice 270 build. Pretty much same case capacity as a 270Wby but with a, IMO, better case design and no belt to deal with.

Does the 270 Wby reamer completely "clean up" the 270 Win chamber without requiring the barrel to be set back? It looks like it from the diagrams but I don't know for sure. If yes, that reduces the cost of the OP's original plan.

Cheers,
Rex

A little googling says the answer is yes - the 270 Wby completely cleans up the 270 Win chamber (oddly as if it might have been planned that way ;))

What is the barrel length on the 270 Win you're considering rechambering? I'd think any less than 24" would be a bit of a waste on the 270 Wby, but I could be wrong. Sorry if this was already asked and I missed it.

Rex

Was there any other work you had to have done to the rifle other than rechambering and bolt head opened up?

I mainly work on switch barrel set ups with Winchester Model 70's & Remington 700's.
I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding Tikka actions, but if they are set up to feed from the action rails, then they will need to be opened up to suit the larger cartridge.
The follower may also need to be changed and I hear that the mag boxes on Tikka's are very short, shorter than 3.4" as most standard actions measure, besides Remingtons.

A lot of my clients often have the same idea as you, but soon realise that buying a CHEAP donor, rebarreling and truing the action often ends up the same price or a little cheaper.
I have done this a few times on Howa 1500 actions and Vanguards. It works out quite affordable for them.
Food for thought.

Cheers.

Nosler came up with the 27nosler along with there rifle to go with it, 8.5 twist . It looks the cat's meow but even in their newest catalog, they don't list it so I am puzzled. google 27nosler vs 270 Weatherby mag it will compare the 3 270's side by side. pretty impressive

The 27 Nosler has a pretty healthy case capacity advantage over the 270 Wby so it's not really a fair fight.

A 27 nosler vs 270-300Wby would be a more apples to apples comparison.

Cheers,
Rex
yes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.