6.5 creedmoor to 270 wsm

Is there just no love for the 270 WSM? I have had multiple recommendations to chamber it into multiple calibers but the 270 WSM. I look at the ballistics of this cartridge and seen the effectiveness and it was a no brained for me. I'm confused?
Sometimes I wonder how Mr 0'Conner ever killed anything with his trusty 270 and plain jane 130 gr bullets, guess He just didn't realize how ineffective they really were, a buddy of mine had a ultra light put together as soon as he got his hands on some 270 WSM brass, a 24 inch pacnor super match barrel, brown precision pounder stock, and a 4x12 Leopold, loaded with sling it weighs 7 pounds he runs up and down the state of Idaho and adjoining states terrorizing everything he can find to point it at, he has two loads a 110 grain Barnes ttsx at 3600 fps, and the 130 grain ttsx a little under 3400 he kills ever thing he points it at and calls it his laser beam.

Is there just no love for the 270 WSM? I have had multiple recommendations to chamber it into multiple calibers but the 270 WSM. I look at the ballistics of this cartridge and seen the effectiveness and it was a no brained for me. I'm confused?
Oh it's a fine cartridge, it just doesn't have the selection of high BC or match bullets like the 6.5mm, 7mm or 30 cal. But it does have a great selection of hunting bullets. I've seen some pretty brutal blood shot meat with one. But one rifle doesn't represent the cartridge. If you like it you should build one, don't worry what others think.

270WSM is more capable than 6.5 Creedmoor; extremely flat shooting, higher BC, less wind deflection....I could go on and on as to why you should move forward with your idea of re-barreling your rifle. I have both calibers in similar style platforms, WSM is hands down a better cartridge than the Creedmoor IMHO. Good luck

If you want to make it work you will have to do a lot of hw.

1. If you are solely wanting to do the conversion to save money, dont. huck the gun and buy something otc.

2. Your action makes a terrific donor action for a wsm build yes the bolt will have to be opened up, the feed rails as well. Both are simple for a good smith. just ordering a bolt is an option too. (I assume your current rifle is a short action model 700 not a long someone got silly with.)

3. If you are determined to go with the build route but dont want to spend too much money dont bother with the wyatts extended mag. The gains in powder capacity wont change your world. realistically you will probably never notice them.

4. The heavy bullets in your set up wont be particularly awesome. In order to fit the 170s and other long offerings into a 700 short action (even with the wyatts mag) they have to be loaded pretty far into the case, which will crowd a lot of powder capacity. Will they shoot? yeah. Will you be making the most of the cartridge or the bullet? Not really. The 270 wsm with the heavy offerings really is tailored more to sako's and other long actions.

5. Dont be afraid of bullet selection there is plenty. Its probably half what the 7s offer but I promise you will find something you and your gun like.

I am currently in the process of putting together a .270wsm on a short action model 700 just like what you are looking at. I could have chosen to build this on any action and chose specifically to do it with the 700 they are wonderful actions capable of terrific performance when built right. For the record I do have a wyatts extended mag for my build. If you commit to this set up pm me and I can try to send you some Coals of cartridges loaded to max length in this mag with 170 eols and 140 classic hunters

Sell your rifle. Use the proceeds to buy a short action SAUM action, modify it for the Wyatt's magezine, and build a new rifle exactly like you want, throated to take advantage of the magezine. Better yet make the rifle a Switch Lug so you can easily change calibers. I bought a SAUM action for just that purpose.
P.S. I'll give you 300 bucks for your Remington. (ha Ha) If it was mine, I'd modify it with the Wyatt's box, and rechamber it for a 6.5-.284. (maybe) Us gun nuts are just too *Rule 4 Violation* fickle.
fickle-
changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington 700. Not happy with the performance of this cartridge. Rather then buying another action would it be possible to Rebarrel this action to a 270 wsm?

What makes you unhappy with its performance? Just wondering because from a practical standpoint the 270 wsm doesn't buy you much more. If you go that route, make sure you put a barrel on it with a fast enough twist rate that it can shoot the highest BC bullets made in .277. Otherwise, you might as well just keep it in 6.5 Creed. There are other great options out there. All just depends on whether or not you want to stick to factory stuff, standard vs mag bolt face, etc.

What makes you unhappy with its performance? Just wondering because from a practical standpoint the 270 wsm doesn't buy you much more. If you go that route, make sure you put a barrel on it with a fast enough twist rate that it can shoot the highest BC bullets made in .277. Otherwise, you might as well just keep it in 6.5 Creed. There are other great options out there. All just depends on whether or not you want to stick to factory stuff, standard vs mag bolt face, etc.
That's like saying if you have a 308 you don't need 300 winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.