270 wsm reload question

Thanks for reply....I'm going to get powder today. What does SC stand for? I see there's H4831 IMR 4831 and also see 4831SC. By checking free bore you mean checking the actual Length between bolt face to lands using a fired case and bullet I'm using (130 gr core lokt)? Also I noticed when I loaded the first 10 rounds the primer went in to easy on a couple cases so do you check the primer pocket prior to pressing in a primer? I have a lathe and have a small machine shop is having a go and no go Gage a good idea checking primer pockets on brass that's been fired 2 or 3 times?

It stands for "Short cut" meaning that the tubular powder granules are cut much shorter than the standard granules making them easier to measure and take up less space in the case for larger powder charges If needed.

It is what I use in my 7 WSM and 338 RCM for best velocities and accuracy.

And yes, freebore is a friend that many people don't take advantage of by seating the bullet against the lands. There is nothing wrong with this method except it causes pressure to rise more quickly and in many cases limits maximum velocity.

My recommendation when starting out is to seat the bullet .020 off the lands and go from there. More or less gap will show what your load likes.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Just adding to the info imr 4350 imr 4831 ,sure imr 7828 would work but never tried it in mine ,Alliant Reloader powders are also great Rl/22,Rl25, Rl/23, Rl26, H Retumbo my Savage 14 lovs Rl/25 with 140 grainers , it's an Ausome Cartridge dat 270 WSM thks

2 blew out the primer. Did you crimp this Core-Lokt? The placement of the crimp is more critical than many think. If it is too close to the front edge of the cannelure, it will create a high pressure condition. Good luck because this condition is very bad.

I tried so many different powders in mine and had the best luck with RL26 and 130gttsx. Imr 4451 was ok too.

Forgot to add seems like your col could be to longish , did you check how close you were to the lands with that cor-lok bullet thks & did you load n shoot any at 51.0 grains of same powder .

2 blew out the primer. Did you crimp this Core-Lokt? The placement of the crimp is more critical than many think. If it is too close to the front edge of the cannelure, it will create a high pressure condition. Good luck because this condition is very bad.

No I didn't crimp.....I went yesterday to get more powder and my local sporting good had regular IMR 4831 so I got it didn't have the Short cut. I just checked my free bore and it's 2.870 so my COL of 2.825 seemed ok. I'm a little confused on the starting load of the 4831 powder. Can't find Remington Core lokt load date but Nosler load data suggests 57.0 grains for 130 grain bullet .......Lyman 48th suggests 64.0 grains for 130 SP bullet. Nosler has the max at 61.0 grains ....IMR site suggests 59.0 grains for 130 grain Hornady SP.
What is a safe starting load for 130 Core lokt using IMR4831?

Forgot to add seems like your col could be to longish , did you check how close you were to the lands with that cor-lok bullet thks & did you load n shoot any at 51.0 grains of same powder .
Lands 2.870" using 130 grain Core Lokt bullet.....no I didn't try any other loads using 4064 I had 10 loaded and after 7 rounds I knew something was bad wrong.

Dale, ok on col thks , my Hodgdon source uses Winchester brass, Winchester mag primer and a hornady 130 spirepoint col of 2.730 imr 4831 start load is 59.0 gns for 3022 fps MAX is 63.5 for 3208 fps . Dale books vari because they use different brass makes with different case volumes. test bbl was 24 inch 1/10 twist. hope I helped you ? keep us informed thks

It's already been mentioned, but RL 26 has given me good results in the 270 WSM with 130's. Pressure hasn't been a problem and velocity is really good. I would agree with the earlier posts. Doesn't sound like a powder issue.

It's already been mentioned, but RL 26 has given me good results in the 270 WSM with 130's. Pressure hasn't been a problem and velocity is really good. I would agree with the earlier posts. Doesn't sound like a powder issue.
Good to know about the RL 26. My loads were loaded with 4064 and doesn't seem to be the preferred powder among 270 wsm shooters and I started in medium charge and I guess was to much. I'm going to try the 4831 at 57 grains and see how that works out.

Ok now to the next problem I'm having with this initial 270 wsm reloading project.....as I noted in the first post 2 primers blew out ok when I installed primers in the initial 10 rounds i noticed the CCI 250 went in easier on some cases than others. Ok I checked the same resized cases by hand and the primer can be pushed in by thumb pressure and basically falls out. I bought this brass as once fired from a group member but you never really know how many times it's been fired. Is enlarged primer pockets a sign of excessive reloading? I guess my next move is to hand sort my brass by checking primer pockets right? trash the bad? Thanks for the help guys I'm just learning.

Last edited:
Enlarged primer pockets can definitely be a sign of numerous reloadings, but in my experience with the WSM cartridges it takes quite a while with normal pressure. I'm gonna make an educated guess and tell you who ever sold you the brass was running pretty hot loads. Overpressure will definitely open up primer pockets more quickly than a few times fired brass with normal pressure.

Enlarged primer pockets can definitely be a sign of numerous reloadings, but in my experience with the WSM cartridges it takes quite a while with normal pressure. I'm gonna make an educated guess and tell you who ever sold you the brass was running pretty hot loads. Overpressure will definitely open up primer pockets more quickly than a few times fired brass with normal pressure.

I just checked 16 cases by hand and 8 of the 16 the primer fell in and fell out. I was hoping to hunt with this rifle this season but it's not looking promising I don't want to go buy factory ammo now. Back to the ol trusty 300 savage.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.