270 wsm reload question

This is why I ask for more info in the beginning. I load for 3 270 WSMs and have since they came out. While 4064 is not ideal for the 270 WSM the mild load you were using in and of its self should have not caused you any problems. Nor is the 130 gr corelok again not the bullet I would chose but not your problem per say. I believe you have something else wrong and that is why I picked up on the 2 blown primers. Two things cause blown primers one is obiviously High pressure, I would say over 70,000 psi the other is bad or worn out brass. I would suggest you start over with new brass and run it into your sizer die enough to strighten up the necks seat a good primer and load a good slow powder, H4831, IMR, 4831. RL 26, With heavier bullets I use H1000, Retumbo, or RL 26.
New primers should take some pressure to seat and stay that way if they get loose then you are running your load a little too hot. If time is limited then you could just shoot Factory for this season. I know that is not what you had planned on but it is not the end of the world.
I want to also say do not get discouraged with this experience! Reloading and seeing your results on a target or killing your first animal with your own reloads is very rewarding and you will be hooked for life.
Henry

This is why I ask for more info in the beginning. I load for 3 270 WSMs and have since they came out. While 4064 is not ideal for the 270 WSM the mild load you were using in and of its self should have not caused you any problems. Nor is the 130 gr corelok again not the bullet I would chose but not your problem per say. I believe you have something else wrong and that is why I picked up on the 2 blown primers. Two things cause blown primers one is obiviously High pressure, I would say over 70,000 psi the other is bad or worn out brass. I would suggest you start over with new brass and run it into your sizer die enough to strighten up the necks seat a good primer and load a good slow powder, H4831, IMR, 4831. RL 26, With heavier bullets I use H1000, Retumbo, or RL 26.
New primers should take some pressure to seat and stay that way if they get loose then you are running your load a little too hot. If time is limited then you could just shoot Factory for this season. I know that is not what you had planned on but it is not the end of the world.
I want to also say do not get discouraged with this experience! Reloading and seeing your results on a target or killing your first animal with your own reloads is very rewarding and you will be hooked for life.
Henry
Thanks Henry.......I'm not a total newbie to reloading as I've loaded for years for my 300 Savage 35 Marlin and 22-250 Savage just hadn't run into these problems before with the others. I'm thinking now I've just bought some worn out brass. I hunt heavy cover in the smoky mountains and rarely get 100 yard shots so I know the 270 wsm might be over kill but I just wanted one you know how that goes. I've bought dies powder primers bullets so I'm going to figure out the right recipe no matter how long it takes.

You will love the 270 WSM, In the 130 class bullet the Hornady Interbond is one of my Favorites. they were hard to get for a while but are back in stock now. Interbonds are great interlocks not so great so be sure of what you are getting. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I grew up in Boone NC and hunted there for 50 years crawling through the laurel thickets. Lots of deer just hard to get a shot through the brush. Here in Montana I can shoot 1k from my deck..

You will love the 270 WSM, In the 130 class bullet the Hornady Interbond is one of my Favorites. they were hard to get for a while but are back in stock now. Interbonds are great interlocks not so great so be sure of what you are getting. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I grew up in Boone NC and hunted there for 50 years crawling through the laurel thickets. Lots of deer just hard to get a shot through the brush. Here in Montana I can shoot 1k from my deck..
Being you mentioned it the Hornady 150 grain interbond is what I load in my 300 Savage......open sights. That's my bear and hog gun. Killed deer bear and hog with that bullet . Great bullet.
I'm in Hayesville little west of Boone....but you nailed the terrain I hunt. Good stuff

Sorry, but back to OAL. The Core-Lokt nose is not at a sharp angle like Berger or other. I was curious, did you use the old method of using a black Sharpie at the bullet tip and insert to see if any lands touched the bullet?

I just checked 16 cases by hand and 8 of the 16 the primer fell in and fell out. I was hoping to hunt with this rifle this season but it's not looking promising I don't want to go buy factory ammo now. Back to the ol trusty 300 savage.

Thanks
What brand brass is this?

I load Winchester brass(HOT loads) in 6.5, 270, 7mm, and 300wsm and have never ever had a loose primer pocket yet some are on their 8th reloading cycle.

BTW, 270wsm powders of choice for me is Retumbo,H1000, Rl26 with 150gr bullets. I would not ever use 4064 again in the cartridge if I were you... that is kind of dangerous even with 130gr bullets.

Sorry, but back to OAL. The Core-Lokt nose is not at a sharp angle like Berger or other. I was curious, did you use the old method of using a black Sharpie at the bullet tip and insert to see if any lands touched the bullet?
No I didn't I'll tell you how I came up with that and I know it's probably not right but I figured it would get me in a safe range being I didn't know the free bore at the time. I had a couple Nosler 130 gr partition bullet (.277) and I looked at Nosler's COL data and it was 2.860 I think then I measured the OL of the Partition bullet compared to the Remington 130 gr core lokt...... similar design on the outside. The core lokt is shorter so I subtracted from the Nosler COL data and came up with 2.825 so I figured that would be a safe starting COL. Yesterday I actually checked the free bore and came up with 2.868 so my starting COL was bad off.

I'm rereading some of your posts and it occurred to me you might not want to be using core-loct 130s on deer at the distances you're hunting. You might not like what it does to your venison at WSM speeds.

What brand brass is this?

I load Winchester brass(HOT loads) in 6.5, 270, 7mm, and 300wsm and have never ever had a loose primer pocket yet some are on their 8th reloading cycle.

BTW, 270wsm powders of choice for me is Retumbo,H1000, Rl26 with 150gr bullets. I would not ever use 4064 again in the cartridge if I were you... that is kind of dangerous even with 130gr bullets.
I won't ever try that load again....Looks like most of the brass is Federal. I think the problem is just worn out brass. I just bought some IMR 4831 powder Saturday I'm a little limited on my choices in my area unless I can go to a gun show.

dale1386, please do yourself a favor and try that black pen test.

Id' like to interject an opinion that I'm seeing some comments that are very secondary to this possibly high pressure condition. Safety is always #1. I'd say good luck but I mean, let us know how this goes when you solve this!

I'm rereading some of your posts and it occurred to me you might not want to be using core-loct 130s on deer at the distances you're hunting. You might not like what it does to your venison at WSM speeds.
I hadn't seen core lokts in years till lately Midway had some so I bought a box of 100 ea of .308 and .277 for like $27.00 a box. I know does some meat damage but I have d
Dale 1386, I have some known once fired brass I can send you to test with. Just let me know if your interested RW
I sent you a message....I hope.

I haven't read all the answerers but I load 2 rifles for 270 WSM and I agree with the slower powder advice -- as I wouldn't use 4064 in such a large case. However if I were you I'd be checking to see if your bullets are seated too far out and jamming into the rifling when chambered.
Here is a good article on rifle chambers: https://bisonballistics.com/articles/an-introduction-to-rifle-chambers
To check how far out you can seat your bullet (the actual bullet you use) buy a Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL Gauge. You can get it online from Amazon for $29.49 – or from Cabela's online for $34.99.

Then you'll need a 270 WSM Modified Case to use with the Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL Gauge -- which you can get from Cabela's online for $5.99. The instructions will show you how to use the Hornady Gauge with the modified case – which is very simple once you understand how it works. I've been using one for years -- even before Hornady took over making them. I wouldn't reload any rifle without one as it will give you an exact length for any bullet you want to use.

I also use a hex style bullet comparator which you can buy from Sinclair for $19.99. This style of comparator can measure 6 different calibers. https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...r-hex-style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx

You'll need a pair of calipers to measure the length if you buy the Sinclair bullet comparator.
Also – I agree with the advice from others about using a slower powder. I get best results from H-1000 and a 140 grain bullet.
I realize this may not help you before deer season and the advice to use factory loads may be best – unless they give you high pressure too. If factory loads give you high pressure, you've probably got a chamber problem which may be best solved by a competent gunsmith!
Reloading can be very rewarding but can get you in trouble – as you already know. The tools I've recommended will keep you out of trouble if you use them as intended!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.