270 wsm reload question

dale1386

Finally got my Savage 10 270 wsm project finished and loaded up 10 rounds of ammo to sight in scope and I had all kinds of problems and I'm asking for input on what went wrong.
First my load recipe......case trimmed to spec. I loaded 53.0 grains of IMR 4064 with Remington 130 grain Core lokt bullet. My COL is 2.825" CCI 250 magnum primer.

Now for the problem. All 10 rounds chambered ok but after shooting I couldn't hardly pull the bolt back on every round and actually had to tap on the bolt handle with a block of wood on one round and also 2 of the 10 blew out the primer. After some research I read possible cause could have been excessive head space causing pressure increase. does that sound correct? I don't know what my rifle lands or but my COL seems reasonable from what I've read.....not much data on Remington Core Lokt's 130 grain for 270 WSM. I'm not loading any more till I figure out the problem.

Sounds like high pressure. Did you work up to that load, if you did was there any pressure signs along the way.

Last edited:
Sounds like high pressure. Did you work up to that load, if you did was there any pressure signs.
I just went by IMR 4064 load data. The suggested starting load 51.0 and max 54.3 so I went with 53.0 do think if I dropped back to 51.0 it would fix the problem?

You should never just extrapolate a load and use it. Always start at the min load in the data book that you are using and work up always being viglant for pressure signs. In my experience there were times I could safely go past the max load of certain manuals and other times when pressure showed up before getting there. In your case I would start at 49grs and work up in inceriments of .5 gr till you begin to see pressure then stop and reduce slightly. I believe this is your problem. I have never loaded for the 270 wsm, but have for the 270 Win and 270 Wea mag. I believe you would be better served with a slower powder than IMR 4064

First I would recommend checking bullet jump (If you seated against the lands, pressure would/could be to high for that load even though it sounds OK). Chamber dimensions can be different than book COAL dimensions and need to be verified.

The other thing that could cause this is not enough neck clearance. Measure the loaded diameter of the neck and then measure the neck diameter of a fired case.

The fired case should have a .003 to .004 thousandths larger neck diameter than a loaded cartridge. (This is required to release the bullet without pressure increasing).

Just something to look at

J E CUSTOM

You said you finish up your project? More details please. What did you do to the gun? Did you put a new barrel in it? We can help you better if we have all the details. Something is unusual and I agree with you don't shoot it until you figure it out.

dale1386. I have been loading 270 WSM for many year and it is one of my favorite rounds. Cape cove had some good advice. A slower burning powder will likely resolve this issue. Recommend giving 4831 or Retumbo a try and you will have a much better outcome/experience.

You said you finish up your project? More details please. What did you do to the gun? Did you put a new barrel in it? We can help you better if we have all the details. Something is unusual and I agree with you don't shoot it until you figure it out.
I just ordered a Boyd's thumb hole stock and had the action bedded and saved up for a Zeiss scope. No mods to the barrel.

First I would recommend checking bullet jump (If you seated against the lands, pressure would/could be to high for that load even though it sounds OK). Chamber dimensions can be different than book COAL dimensions and need to be verified.

The other thing that could cause this is not enough neck clearance. Measure the loaded diameter of the neck and then measure the neck diameter of a fired case.

The fired case should have a .003 to .004 thousandths larger neck diameter than a loaded cartridge. (This is required to release the bullet without pressure increasing).

J E CUSTOM
I'll check that fired case measurement tomorrow

You should never just extrapolate a load and use it. Always start at the min load in the data book that you are using and work up always being viglant for pressure signs. In my experience there were times I could safely go past the max load of certain manuals and other times when pressure showed up before getting there. In your case I would start at 49grs and work up in inceriments of .5 gr till you begin to see pressure then stop and reduce slightly. I believe this is your problem. I have never loaded for the 270 wsm, but have for the 270 Win and 270 Wea mag. I believe you would be better served with a slower powder than IMR 4064
I just had some 4064 powder on hand and seen on the IMR site there was a load recipe for 270 wsm.

J E CUSTOM
The fired case neck is .005 larger than a loaded case neck.

You're leaving over 150 fps on the table using 4064, might as well shoot your grandpa's 270 WCF. Like others said maybe try some 4831. My preference is Reloder 19, but I prefer sending the 110 grainers out at warp speed. Most manuals show Accurate Magpro giving highest velocity with 130 + grain bullets. I've not tried it myself. I've heard it can be finicky & temp sensitive.

The fired case neck is .005 larger than a loaded case neck.

Perfect !!!

Now you need to check the free bore. If nothing is wrong there, you probably have a load issue. Always start low and work up.

As mentioned, 4831 SC is a good choice for the WSMs.

J E CUSTOM

Perfect !!!

Now you need to check the free bore. If nothing is wrong there, you probably have a load issue. Always start low and work up.

As mentioned, 4831 SC is a good choice for the WSMs.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for reply....I'm going to get powder today. What does SC stand for? I see there's H4831 IMR 4831 and also see 4831SC. By checking free bore you mean checking the actual Length between bolt face to lands using a fired case and bullet I'm using (130 gr core lokt)? Also I noticed when I loaded the first 10 rounds the primer went in to easy on a couple cases so do you check the primer pocket prior to pressing in a primer? I have a lathe and have a small machine shop is having a go and no go Gage a good idea checking primer pockets on brass that's been fired 2 or 3 times?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.