270 Win ?

Just because a cartridge is old doesn't mean it isn't good. I wonder how many of the new crop of wonder cartridges will still be around 90 years from now. The 270 is a very well balanced round in that it combines adequate bullet weight, velocity, energy and tolerable recoil in a rifle that doesn't require a gun bearer to hunt with. While I own, and hunt with many different rifles, my 270 is my go to rifle for most all of my deer sized game hunting. With a 270 I have taken over 100 deer and antelope For many years I used the fine 130 gr. Nosler Partition and IMR 4350 powder. When the lead in my favorite 270 started to erode, and the usually very fine accuracy started to drop, I switched to the 150 gr. I never looked back. I re-barreled the rifle with a 1-9 twist,24" Krieger no. 2 contour barrel.This old Remington 700 never shot so good. I've used everything from a 110 gr. TTSX, to the very fine 160 gr. Nosler Semi-Spitzer. They all shoot acceptably, and some are just fantastic. My go to load today uses REL 23 powder, Norma brass, Federal 210 Match primers, and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Velocity in my gun runs right at 3000 fps. This doesn't mean that I will hang up my 300 WEA MAG, 6.5x55 Swede, Browning BLR in 358, or my Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 anytime soon. All of these rifles have a purpose. Buying a 270 though, is never a bad idea!

Hi, Lenny Foffa Here, I am a life time fan of the .270 Win. especially in a light Bolt Action Rifle, and I own three rifles chambered in .270, and a Weatherby chambered in 270 Weatherby Mag. but I also own 2 , 30-06 Bolt Action Rifles. All have a specific use, in my mind. Both the 30-06 and the .270 win are really excellent hunting cartridges. My Weatherby ULTRALIGHT , in .270 Win , with a 130 Grain Ballistic tip ,is my #1 choice for Farmland Whitetail deer hunting. Yes I know I can shoot the 140Grn ,or the 150grn, but the 130 is so explosive at 120 to 150 yards, it's amaizing . However on trips to Maine , where the cover is very think and dense, my 20 inch Custom Mauser Action Manlicher stocked 30-06, with a 165 Grn Accubond ,is what I would take into the woods. In Summary If you own those two Great Classic American Big Game cartridges I see no real use ,or need , for the 6.5 Creedmoor, for hunting. Just my 2 cents !!!!
Afternoon. I agree with you fully. I have a custom stocked 700 Remington in 270 Win (shown on the left) and a Ruger SR 762 (308 Win) thatis a bit heavy at 11 3/4 pounds with bi-pod, scope and full 20 round clip. both are excellent shooters and I could not ask for anything more !

Recently swapped my 300 win mag for a 270. I consider it the perfect American hunting cartridge. I like many cartridges. But if I could only have one, it'd be a 270.

Recently swapped my 300 win mag for a 270. I consider it the perfect American hunting cartridge. I like many cartridges. But if I could only have one, it'd be a 270.
Hi again. I used to carry a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 but age caught up with me and I gave the rifle and a Remington 780 Magnum Wing Master to my son. Then a couple years ago I happened to be in a local sporting goods store when a guy came in and traded in a Remington 700 BDL with a custom fiddle back maple (pictured on the left) in 270 Winchester. Since I am 75 years old and have little tolerance for recoil I find the 270 surprising comfortable to shoot. Though the 30-06 is a excellent all around rifle I also find the 270 great for about all North American Game and it is especially good at long range shooting. The old 30-06 used to be a real bear shooting in a "t' shirt since it had a plastic butt plate but the 270 has a very thick recoil pad which I really like, no more black and blue shoulders.

Its really great to see there are still a bunch of us Guys, (over 21 years old I'm Sure ) that will always want a Good Rifle Chambered in .270 Win for Deer/Antelope Hunting ! Its also great to see the variety different of loads we are all using , with great results. !! Good Luck this season One and All. Lenny

I tried to hunt with a 300 win mag but lost too much meat. So don't be afraid of a good old standby.

Whenever there is chance for lots of meat damage with my 7mm mag (like very close up) I shoot through the lungs only or a head shot.

Whenever there is chance for lots of meat damage with my 7mm mag (like very close up) I shoot through the lungs only or a head shot.
There is one more load that, though hard to find, is the 100 grain bhp. This load is great for predator hunting. This load works especially great for coyotes ! When shot from front to back the hollow point expands and literally cleans out the insides but does not effect the hide.

I just booked a white tail deer hunt Maine in November. I only wish I could walk as good as I shoot (lots of orbits around the sun), so...... before I booked I asked the outfitter if there was a possibility for some long-range hunting; in Maine that is unusual. The outfitter told me that there certainly was due to some newer clear-cut and he had shooting stands already up. Presently I have a 30-06 that really likes 168gr BTSP bullets pushed with Superformance powder; and, that is what I presently have and so is what I am taking. But.....I also have a custom .270 Ackley Improved that I have had built over the past year; Ruger 77, blueprinted action, 26 in Lilja barrel, trigger job, pillar bedded/glass bedded barrel. I'm still in the stages of getting a set of dies from Hornady; 4 months now, Benn said he'll try to get them to me before deer hunting season? I've been fireforming brass and then neck-sizing with a .270 WSM sizing die. Presently getting 3300fps with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips; and I'm not maxed out with that load yet. "If" I get the dies within the next couple of weeks, I "will" be taking the 30-06, but.....the 06 will be sitting in the warm camp; just in case just in something happens to the .270 Ackley. I think that the .270 Winchester is a great cartridge, that's what got me hooked on the .270AI. I also believe that the .270WSM is far superior than the .270 Winchester, but.....it isn't easy in the recoil department.

I am a fan of the older cartridges, and like many we all have opinions. I have already expressed my opinion on the "modern" designer cartridges; and, we all have opinions on them too. From my previous reply on this thread, when it is all said and done, I read the ballistics on the "new" cartridges and then compare them to the .270 Winchester. From what I am reading there really is not enough difference to make me want to go out and buy one for the game that I hunt, and at the distances that I will shoot them at. I certainly will not throw my 30-06 away or sell it as I believe it is a good cartridge and worth lauding; I just happen to like the .277 bullet and its performance. I also have a .358 Winchester, a 35 Whelen and a 45-70 in the locker! These .358 Winchester and the Whelen really do not get the recognition that they deserve; and, I can bang 8 inch steel at 300 yards all day long with them. The .280 Ackley Improved is another great "ole-school" cartridge that got resurrected. I would have built a .280 AI instead of the .270 AI, but....I refused to be held hostage to brass prices for the .280AI.

The question is, if you already have a 30-06 and a 6.5 creedmoor where does the 270 fit in. Rifle would be used for whitetail, woodchucks and coyote since we have all three in abundance on our farm. In a trade that i made i acquired a bunch of 270 ammunition and was thinking i now need to buy a rifle in 270, you know because that would be way smarter than just selling the ammo.

Get rid of the other two boring cartridges and keep the .270-ha!

FB_IMG_1571796700155.jpg

I'm starting to enjoy my 6.5/06 with the 140gr bullets,,, once the barrel is shot out I'd most likely switch over to a Contour 2.8 stainless steel 270 Winchester with a 1:10.25 twist to run the 130 gr bullets...

The slower twist will work good with the Barn''s 85gr triple shock and 110's on the predators...

The little Nosler 90gr Partitions would be fun to test...

Cheers from the North

270 Win. Awesome Round. Long Range. Yeah in particular when you put a 1-8 Twist barrel on it to shoot the 170 gr Berger EOL Elite Hunter. I have a 26" McGowen Precision 1-8 barrel. It pushes the 170's at 2,930 fps. At Sea Level Transonic to 1,450, Supersonic to 1,600 yds, 3,224 ft lbs muzzel almost 1,100 ft lbs at 1,000 yds.

Yes sir. I do the same. Proof Sendero 26" with a 1in8 twist. Pumps the 170 EOL Berger at 2960 fps, little recoil, my sweetest gun build. One of my clients killed his elk at 900 yds with it. Way under estimated caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.