Win .270 + Luepold

nomadhunter

Hello to all, I joined this site to learn form LR hunters and target shooters and I've a question that needs an answer ,please.

A Winchester Model 70, Super Grade, chambered for .270 and looking to mount the Luepolod FX-3, 6 x 42.

My concern, will it mount low and clear the barrel and bolt; here's my question sent to Leupold:

will your FX-3 6x42 be able to fit on the .270 Winchester model 70
using your low mount system? I've your VX-1 3-9x40 with your low mount
system on my .30-06 Winchester model 70 and there appears to be enough
clearance, but I don't have the .270 to compare. Thank you for
interest.

Luepold's reply:

Michael,
Usually bolt lift and clearance of the power selector ring at the rear receiver on Winchester 70's lead to recommendation of medium-height rings for ease of use. If lows are working for your .30-06, they will for your .270 as well, as long as barrel contours are similar.
Best Regards,

Anyone out there have the answer?, by-the-way, my .30-06 is a 1966. I would contact Winchester via email tonight - not a straight forward approach. But,this is one reason why I joined this site, to get experienced insight and answers efficiently; I am almost certain that someone knows the answer to this; otherwise I make a phone call to Winchester. Thank you in advance.

Turkeyfever had some great advice! Either take the scope & rifle to where you have it mounted, or buy both sets. I have a pegboard in my gun room with all kinds of scope mounting stuff. Saves me alot of time .
Thanks, Kirk

I just had a 280 Ackley Improved built on a Winchester Model 70 in .270. My gunsmith pulled the barrel and chambered a 24" Shilen match grade barrel in 280 AI for me. I used Talley low mounts on it and the clearance is fine. The scope I have is similar in dimensions to your 6x42. I mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm on it. By the way that is the first ever variable on any rifles of mine.....ever! The 6x42mm Leupold is my favorite scope of all time, but I really like the variable also. It worked very well this fall for me. I shot a cow elk at 450 yards one shot and she tipped over. Excellent idea to get two heights of rings. Save lots of heartache.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.