270 Win ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Gregger, Sep 22, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Gar Guru

Gar Guru Active Member

I bought a Rem 700 classic the year it was chambered in .270, early 80's. It has a shorter barrel 22 inches I think. My son decides to try it out long range so I load him some 100 grain bullets at about 3300 fps if memory serves me right. Has a Leupold 3.5x10x50 with thick crosshairs and no target turret. I printed off a trajectory chart after chronoing it and the thing shot just less than MOA out to 890 yards which was the farthest distance we could get. Started at 500 yards and used a coin to adjust turret up 88 clicks from start. Totally factory gun, was impressed. Ran it back down the same number of clicks and it was right back at original zero.

Snookkatcher likes this.
  2. Idaho Hunter1

Idaho Hunter1 Member

.270 win is my go to cartridge if I’m not carrying a 300win. And you can find ammo for it in every hardware store when the airline loses your ammo.

JungleBoogey and uncle_motorhead like this.
  3. djfergus

djfergus Well-Known Member

Those are some of the nicest looking rifles I have saw.

4. Vortex!

Vortex! Well-Known Member

Totally go 270, it has more horsepower than 6.5 and better trajectory than 06!

5. rbTanzan

rbTanzan Well-Known Member

PS: when my wife went to look at a Tikka 3x in 270Win Left-Hand, the store also had a 6.5CrM Tikka 3x Left-hand. Both were attractive rifles but we could only justify buying one this year. As mentioned above, the 6.5CrM doesn't catch the 270Win anywhere out to 600 yards and my wife finds the 270 recoil just fine for deer hunting. It's really the noise of shooting and suddenness that must be blocked from the mind and she doesn't like the little 243 that we have with a 20" barrel.

1953greg likes this.
  6. JungleBoogey

JungleBoogey Well-Known Member

20190923_173942.jpg
    When my Dad passed, I inherited his older Rem 700 BDL in .270 win. I already had a Tikka T3 .308 and a Weatherby Vanguard 30.06 as well as other rifles in those calibers so I wasn't really "into" .270 but I immediately started taking it on Whitetail hunts. Loved it! It also still impresses folks at the 300 meter range and everytime I get a "good shooting" compliment, I thank my Dad for giving me the opportunity. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  7. Prairie

Prairie Well-Known Member

Very well said. lI have three and love each one. Been hunting with that caliber for 58 years and still am. I just fills a niche that is kinda special to me and have NEVER been let down on it's performance on game!

8. Prairie

Prairie Well-Known Member

Or 60+!!!

9. beveridgek

beveridgek Member

I never thought much about a 270 until a guy offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse. He brought me a used but nice River 77 in left hand, and said he wanted to sell it because the rifle “didn’t group”.
    I bought rifle, dies, brass for $300.
    After I spend 2 days cleaning out copper, the gun would shoot 2” groups with Win factory ammo.
    A friend gave me some 140 Sierras he said shot well in his 270.
    Groups are now more like 1/2” and the gun has been my “go to” gun for hunting here.
    Great 600-700 yard rifle. You rarely are going to get a longer shot here in the east.

1953greg, Vortex! and Gregger like this.
  10. preventec47

preventec47 Active Member

I dont think everyone is aware that the .270 loads to higher pressures than both the 30-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag and the Creedmores. It is a true magnum caliber characteristic that everyone overlooks. Check out the SAMMI specs and you will be surprised. I think that all that is needed is for some rifle and barrel makers to start making tighter twist barrels and then the improved BC bullets would become more available for the caliber. BTW, 270 has surpassed the 30/30 as the most popular rifle cartridge other than military calibers many years ago. ( IN AMMO SALES) There are thousands of folks shooting the 270.

11. uncle_motorhead

uncle_motorhead Well-Known Member

270 shoots flatter than either. And as the the very first post read. It replaces both. Got my first deer rifle (270 760 Rem pump) end of 8th grade. Used it for 30 years and added a 30-378 wby. Only 2 rifles I use. And I have a lot of diff calibers.

1953greg and Vortex! like this.
  12. del2les

del2les Well-Known Member

"...where does the 270 fit in" Depends on the space left in the gun-safes, for there is always room for "one more". ;)

13. del2les

del2les Well-Known Member

Cheapskate!

14. greenejc

greenejc Well-Known Member

The .270 is a tried and proven round. Its been around for about 90 years, and has been used as a long range rifle for most of that time. It will do everything the 6.5 will do, and most of the things the 30-06 will do. Since you have a ready-made source of brass, getting a quality .270 Win and using it makes sense. Because it is still very popular with most riflemen and hunters, ammunition is available nearly anywhere, and projectiles are made in a variety of bullet weights by just about everyone making bullets. I don't have one, but I've shot many of them and I like them. I just have a 25-06 that I love for small varmints through deer, and 30-06's and up for large deer and larger game. I've been making the .25-06 brass from .270 Win brass. Enjoy your new rifle if you decide to get it. Its a good decision(excuse) to buy one.

1953greg and Alibiiv like this.