270 Win ?

i recently discovered the .270 after geeking out trying to get a perfect rifle for every situation. then i got tired of the hassle and just got this guy

721ZJkt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/721ZJkt.jpg

The question is, if you already have a 30-06 and a 6.5 creedmoor where does the 270 fit in. Rifle would be used for whitetail, woodchucks and coyote since we have all three in abundance on our farm. In a trade that i made i acquired a bunch of 270 ammunition and was thinking i now need to buy a rifle in 270, you know because that would be way smarter than just selling the ammo.

Personally for this niche I would go .25-06 but the .270 will also fill the gap nicely. I have both but use my .270 more for deer and dark timber elk hunting (heavier crossover), whereas my .25-06 is my coyote, antelope, deer crossover. For pure elk hunting I go to my 30-06. These old tried and true cartridges with modern bullets and powders are better than ever and more than adequate for their intended purposes. I'd even take a poke at elk with my 25 under 200 yards.

You need no reason, just buy a new gun. Doubt you will regret it! 270 will do nothing the 06 & credmoor do. Just a good excuse to buy a new gun. Remember to buy one with twist rate that best matches your ammo

I like the .270 because it does pretty much anything you need inside 600yds. The biggest detractor is factory twists 1:10. But if you build a custom you should be good to go. Even at the slow factory twists, you aren't lacking with anything up to 150gr. If you want to go bigger, you'll need a faster twist. Rounds are always on the shelves too even in the panics. It's a classic. You can split hairs on cartridges all day long, but fact of the matter is it just works for so many purposes. There will always be something better, but you'll also be chasing those enths to eternity.
Based on your current rifles, I don't see the need as you have the basis covered for that size cartridge. But if you just want one to have one, it's a great round.

My opinion to be frank is, in your situation, it's a waste of money. Your other rifles already cover everything the 270 can do. If you really want something DIFFERENT, step up to a magnum.

I have shot a 270 off and on for a long time. I picked up a NIB with the intentions of building a 6.5-06. What the heck, I had some left over ammo from a previous rifle. It acted like it really wanted to shoot. I stepped away from the 130's and went to a 150 fueled by some R26.
Totally changed my thoughts on the cartridge. Book loads run right up real close to 7mag.

270 is an awesome round. My longest shot on a mule deer (600 yards) was with a 270 with a 130 BT. I have two rifles in 270 Win and they have never let me down. Low recoil, flat shooting, plenty accurate , and a good chunk of oomph ....what more do you need.
What more....every other caliber you are missing!

I own a 270 Win and it's done everything I asked of it and more. To me it's just as versatile as the 30-06, the only difference is it's better at long range than the -06. Yes, there's not much in bullet selection, but I've used it big game hunting multiple times and multiple species and the 130gr bullet has done it all. I don't see the need for anything else. It's a great round and justly deserves more love on this sight.

I have shot a 270 off and on for a long time. I picked up a NIB with the intentions of building a 6.5-06. What the heck, I had some left over ammo from a previous rifle. It acted like it really wanted to shoot. I stepped away from the 130's and went to a 150 fueled by some R26.
Totally changed my thoughts on the cartridge. Book loads run right up real close to 7mag.

I can agree with this! I used my 700 Mtn in .270 as my primary hunting rifle for 25 years and sold it to get a 6.5CM. But I built the 6.5 on the heavy side and regretted losing the 270. I managed to get it back and started over from scratch and now get 3150 fps with 145gn ELDX and Reloader 26. I already loved the cartridge but now its in a whole new ballistic class.

I suffer from nostalgia my main two rifles for years have been the 06 and a marlin lever gun in 45-70. Looks like the 270 will fit right in.

I have owned and hunted with the .270 for nearly 50 years. Varmints to elk. Not the best choice for elk but it will do the job. Great mule deer round. I used the Nosler partitions back on the day. Today I go for the 143gr ELDX. I currently have a Rem700, Ruger no. 1, and a T/C Encore in .270
They all shoot under an inch at 100 yards. And hold MOA out to 400 yards. Never needed to shoot farther. 300wm is my primary elk gun these days. Good shooting!

The 270 Win provides significantly greater velocity than a a 6.5CR in similar weight or similar SD bullets. That velocity more than makes up for a slightly lower BC at least out to 600 yards. I only keep trajectory tables out to 600 yards and the 127LRX in 6.5CrM never catches the 129gnLRX 270. The 270 has less wind-drift, less drop, greater impact velocity, and greater impact energy out to 600 yards with the .277" 129LRX compared to the 6.5mm127LRX. The only thing that the Creedmore actually does better is produce 2/3 the recoil. As for everything else, the 270 Win really is a little magnum without the title.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned rebarreling a 270 to something else. Well, if doing that, consider rebarreling with a 270 Win in 8" twist. Then you can shoot lights out with the 156gn Hammer Hunter. For really long range, go 7" twist and use the 168gn Hammer Hunter in .277". Dudes, use a little imagination, the 270 is a great package and if faster twist is wanted, then get it. My wife just got a Tikka T3x in 270Win. I've thought about rebarreling it with a faster twist but why? She doesn't want to shoot over 300-400 yards and that little Tikka is accurate right out of the box. The 110gnTTSX at 3350fps and 129gnLRX at 3125 do everything she wants to do in the US. I'll be loading up some 117HH and maybe 126gn HH for her to test next month, too. Plus, she already has a 375 Ruger to rock her 106 lb frame.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.