270 WIN BEST POWDER ELK

For over 25 years I've loaded 54.1 gr. of IMR 4831 behind a 140 grain Hornady SPBT, and as the camera people say, "point and shoot". getting 3,000 fps out of a Model 700 Mountain rifle, and it's a sledgehammer on game.

The go to first powder to try IMO is H4381. the Federal website has their 150gr partition load at 1400 foot ponds at 425 yards and 2000 fps at 450 yards (presented simply as an example). If this hunters rig is going to be a 270 then load up a good bullet thats accurate and its incumbent on the shooter to keep shots within the effective range of what he has.

You'll get excellent velocity and accuracy with IMR7977. Works great in my 270WIN's, as does Hybrid 100V and MagPro. Ramshot Magnum does well, too. The new StaBALL 6.5 mimics Hybrid 100V and is temp insensitive.

Hard to beat a plain old Sierra 150gr GameKing. Last cow I shot was at 465 yds and the SGK had an MV of 3000. Went thru left front leg bone, breastbone, right front legbone and out. At 465yds the 150 SGK has same energy as 150gr 30-30WIN at the muzzle. I'd recommend a 300yd zero for what you are trying to accomplish.

I've since been using 145 ELD-X and one of the first 3 powders I listed. Great BC and accuracy. My heavy barrel 270WIN (not hunting) shoots 140SST MOA at 1000M.

Funny how some people still bring up the unicorn powder, RL 26, when I haven't seen it for sale in over a year and a half. Some might have hoarded it and maybe some are finding it, just not the case for me. Unless I could grab a couple of kegs at any time, I give up.
You haven't said where you have been looking. Most of the time I go on line looking for powder suppliers. Especially in the back few years. Several suppliers will allow you leave an email address, if they don't have it.

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!
Back when I reloaded for a .270 I found IMR 7828 very accurate with a 140 grain pill

Corey

I like Nosler load data, it gives most accurate loads ( they experienced ).

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!
Well now I have been shooting a 270 since 1956 the best load, most dependable, is a nosler 150 grain partion with 55 gr 4831 sc rem primer. I have taken elk, moose, red stag, never needed more than one shot. A lot of this is haveing only one load and lots of range time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.