.270 whitetail bullet shopping again, for the last time.

Ok, so many years ago when I first started handloading I started off with the Nosler ballistic tip. I shot my nice buck with it perfectly broadside at 110 yards and the bullet completely exploded, it literally just made it to the vitals and that's it, the BT in my book was a varmint round, never shot another one since. I am told they made some changes to them but with all the nice bullets out there I won't give them another chance. Next up, for many years I shot the Nosler Partition. I loved the killing of that round, however I never could get it to shoot accurately out of my rifle, somewhere around 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards no matter what I tried. Next up, Speer Grand Slam. Shot many deer with great success, better accuracy, however I'm not of fan of the soft blunt lead nose that gets damaged and my hunting spots have changed over the years and I am reaching out to longer distances. Next up, the Barnes triple shock, unbelievable accuracy, honest 1 inch groups at 200 yards off a bench. Shot around 4 nice bucks with them, lost one. I will no longer shoot a solid copper. The picture perfect mushrooms in gel are all cute and all, but they don't kill deer the way the others do, some will argue but that's just the facts. I have hit deer perfectly with the Barnes and got little to no blood, deer have run off almost like they were not even hit, only to see them tip over 50-100 yards later. So, no more Barnes, and here I am now, looking again. I have thoughts on trying these options. Federal Trophy bonded tip, Hornady INTERBOND, not interlock, Nosler Accubond, and maybe even the Swift Scirocco 2. Again, this would be in the .270 Winchester round, in WI deer at ranges of 0-450 yards. I only want to do this one last time, enlighten me, give me advice, give me horror stories, tell me what to do..
Hornady SST 130

Ok, so many years ago when I first started handloading I started off with the Nosler ballistic tip. I shot my nice buck with it perfectly broadside at 110 yards and the bullet completely exploded, it literally just made it to the vitals and that's it, the BT in my book was a varmint round, never shot another one since. I am told they made some changes to them but with all the nice bullets out there I won't give them another chance. Next up, for many years I shot the Nosler Partition. I loved the killing of that round, however I never could get it to shoot accurately out of my rifle, somewhere around 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards no matter what I tried. Next up, Speer Grand Slam. Shot many deer with great success, better accuracy, however I'm not of fan of the soft blunt lead nose that gets damaged and my hunting spots have changed over the years and I am reaching out to longer distances. Next up, the Barnes triple shock, unbelievable accuracy, honest 1 inch groups at 200 yards off a bench. Shot around 4 nice bucks with them, lost one. I will no longer shoot a solid copper. The picture perfect mushrooms in gel are all cute and all, but they don't kill deer the way the others do, some will argue but that's just the facts. I have hit deer perfectly with the Barnes and got little to no blood, deer have run off almost like they were not even hit, only to see them tip over 50-100 yards later. So, no more Barnes, and here I am now, looking again. I have thoughts on trying these options. Federal Trophy bonded tip, Hornady INTERBOND, not interlock, Nosler Accubond, and maybe even the Swift Scirocco 2. Again, this would be in the .270 Winchester round, in WI deer at ranges of 0-450 yards. I only want to do this one last time, enlighten me, give me advice, give me horror stories, tell me what to do..
You have said what you don't like but what if one of the best bullets I have ever found is simply on your list because the tip is Soft! It's hard to believe at times , I know, that sometimes the wheel doesn't need to be re-invented....so the tip is Soft....but for Darn near 40 years...I load the Hornaday 150 gr Spire points... Great accuracy and the best one shot DRT...I have found. I pack mine in a 50 box tips up! Trust me....the Deer never notice that the tip on the one that Killed him ......was a micron shorter.....nor the Moose!

I know you are going to laugh but all I use is 150gr. win power points up to 300 yards they go in about the size of a nickel come out the size of a softball at close range, never had to chase any of them.

I too am a bit curious what you are actually looking for, so here is what I read in summary:
You want a bullet that:
  • Has the ballistics to shoot 200+ yard, 1 inch groups
  • Consistent massive bullet expansion at any distance from 40 to 450 yds
  • Bullet that dramatically drops the deer in its track every time.
  • doesn't have an exposed lead tip
  • Never passes through a deer without massive blood.

I'm really not sure such a bullet exists. Every bullet quality involves sacrificing. Yes, some bullets are a bit more "balanced", but you give up something.

I too shoot the Win .270. In fact, it was my very first centerfire rifle and I've taken the majority of my deer over the last 30 years with it.

I started out by shooting a bunch of factory ammo, finally settling in Federal Premium Ballistic Tips (130gr). They shot very accurately (by my early understanding). The very first deer I shot, a medium-sized buck- took one step and collapsed (75 yd shot, broadside, direct hit to right shoulder). The deer actually didn't act hit... he just took a step and collapsed. Come to find out, the near shoulder was completely pulverized, fat shoulder about ½ destroyed, vitals turned to a puréed mess.
Next deer I shot was a smallish doe at 175yds. She disappeared (fell immediately in shot behind rice levy). Shot was angling toward me- bullet entered just in front of shoulder, exited dramatically behind other shoulder, internals were again a blended mess.

One of the biggest deer I've ever shot (weight) was a 200+ yard, off/hand shot with those Ballistic Tips- hit perfectly behind the near shoulder and she ran almost 100 yards before collapsing. My dad watched it from just before the shot until collaps. He said when bullet hit, an explosion of red came out if far side. Every leap she took was a fountain of red spray. Indeed, there was a large splatter where she stood, and an easy blood trail through pasture grass to where she lay—- a massive puddle she was in, with half of one lung literally hanging out of the exit wound. It was truly gruesome

I actually got really interested in accuracy and started hand loading to try to find the best combination. I loaded a dozen different bullets and would up back with 130gr Ballistic Tips. Until I actual lost a deer... lots of blood, but never found it. Started my bullet search again and loaded a bunch of Grand Slams. I was able to fine tune and get them shooting pretty close to equal groups as the Ballistic Tips. Didn't lose another deer with that round at any distance from 25-250yds.

After a lot of my reloading gear was stolen during a move, I began looking for factory loads to get me by. I found that Hornady Superfirmance loaded with their SST bullets performs almost identically to my best handload with Ballistic Tips. Terminal
Performance is till fairly dramatic, though the bullets seem to not be as prone to complete fragmentation.
But here's the long and short- deer can be easy to kill and seemingly impossible to kill- all with same bullet and shot placement. Deer can run 100yds with both front shoulders blown up and the lungs/heart shredded. Yet I've also seen a deer shot with very poor placement with an inadequate bullet just fall over dead (I still give that friend a hard time).

best advice- pick the bullet that shoots the best from your gun and pick your shot. At longer ranges, you are going to need a somewhat softer bullet to get reliable expansion. The sacrifice is tendency to explode at close range. Maybe the answer is a softer/expanding bullet in a heavier weight (140gr)?

lso- the only almost perfectly-reliable shot placement for immediate drop is direct shoulder, broadside. And even then, as Insaid above, some deer seem to be able to run even then.

Barnes ttsx has preformed for me. I still use some tsx in my 25-06, but mostly Barnes TTSX, when the shot has to count, and i want a dead animal, it's TTSX for me...from antelope sized game to Yukon moose and everything in between. TTSX has not let me down. BTW, i like the LRX also, but really the same creation..

Not sure why you can't get the Nosler AB to shoot accurately. Try the ABLR

the Barnes TTSX I'm not a fan. The Barnes LRX however have dropped everything from thin skinned game like pigs whitetail, axis, rams and thick skinned Nilgai. Has the be the LRX for best results IMO and observations

Anyone who hunts much and hasn't lost a wounded animal is either lying, or well....... actually they're probably lying. Over the last 50 critters that I've killed I've lost one mule deer and one waterbuck. A zebra and a gemsbok required a bit of tracking, but we eventually sorted it out.

There is no perfect bullet. I favor Barnes TSX or TTSX, but I use plenty of others too including HVLDs, Accubonds, and A-frames. I used to like partitions but I got tired of loosing half the animal when they hit bone at close ranges (90% of actual hunting situations).

My personal belief is that DRT events from double lung/chest shots most often result from spinal cord concussion. There is no other physiologic reason a lung shot should drop them like it sometimes does. Other times they run like crazy for as long as it takes their blood pressure to tank and loose consciousness. Also, I've seen plenty of dead, dead, dead ones get better in a few minutes, stand up, and run away (fortunately not any of my own).

Last edited:
Used many dufferent bullets over tge years, most of tge ones mentiones here. Never used a better bullet than sierra gk on broadside, behind shoulder shots. Because of different zngles etc i have been using barnes tsx and ttsx for many years and several hundred animals, 22 africa trips, many hunts in us and canada. Never had a bullet failure. As allready stated , different animals, different situations. The only thing that puts animals down immediately is disruption of of central nevervous system, head or spine. No magic bullets, but i still stick with barnes, or similiar , if they shoot accurately. Have also had gr8 results from berger vld's.

So you have tried bullets from soft (early Ballistic Tips) to hard (Barnes) and bullets in between. Yet, you aren't happy with any of them.

What are you wanting the bullet to do differently than the ones you have used?

Softer bullets will typically have a more dramatic effect, as in drop without moving. However, you may need to choose your shots a little more wisely. Harder bullets will typically penetrate very well, but you can expect them to travel over 100 yards. Bullets in between will typically have them running 30-100 yards.

I don't believe there is a perfect bullet for taking an animal at 50 yards with the same effect as 500 yards. Pick a bullet for average shot distance and choose your point of aim accordingly.

Good luck
Steve
I agree. To me it sounds like you're loading those bullets with to much velocity. If you distance is under 200Y then in my opinion your muzzle velocity should be around 28-2900FPS. If your velocity is over 3000 on impact then I'd expect the copper Barnes not to expand as intended. The Nosler or Berger will "grenade" and give up their energy within 3"
the bullets aren't the issue it's how their being used. If you want a screaming bullet then I'd shoot for the head and their sure to be DRT. I try to shoot all my animals in the head. Especially at longer distances. This way their dead or it's a clean miss. It's a win win. Of course I'm not a trophy hunter. Antlers don't taste very good 🤮

Federal Trophy bonded tip, Hornady INTERBOND, not interlock, Nosler Accubond, and maybe even the Swift Scirocco 2. Again, this would be in the .270 Winchester round, in WI deer at ranges of 0-450 yards. I only want to do this one last time, enlighten me, give me advice, give me horror stories, tell me what to do..

Can't tell you what to do, but sounds like you would be happy with the Interbond or Accubond.

My $0.02 - the new "Nosler BT Hunting" bullets are thicker walled. I found that the Accubonds shot same POA/POI. The Accubond is touted as a modern Partition... never recovered one but devastating on our deer. Then again I only have experience under 150 yards with those in 30 cal... The Hornady SST and Interlocks have been great for my daughter in 30 cal but again, under 200 yards. I looked hard a couple years ago for some Interbond but they were out of production during the last ammo/component drought. They may be out there now but have a supply of SST and Interlocks to burn up. Where I hunt these days those will work fine. Good luck!

Walked the same path exactly with my .270 and agree 100 percent with your post. Sierras always performed but so did partitions and Barnes but with no better end result that the cheaper Sierras, pronghorn to moose. Still seeking the holy grail everytime something new comes out, must be a character flaw.