Whitetail bullet

Mercracing

Hey guys,
In my current hunting location I am taking shots from 15 FEET to about 120 YARDS. More often than not, the shots are on the closer end. I plan on using a shorter barreled 260 this year. What's the best hunting bullet that will expand that close. Maybe I'm just over thinking it and any 6.5 hunting bullet will do it.

An ELD X is borderline explosive at those ranges and velocities …..at least that's what I've observed with the 143 grain ELD X in a 6.5 Creed @ close range!

Also, generally speaking……the closer the shot distance equals higher velocity, which equates to more rapid/violent expansion! 😉 memtb

Hey guys,
In my current hunting location I am taking shots from 15 FEET to about 120 YARDS. More often than not, the shots are on the closer end. I plan on using a shorter barreled 260 this year. What's the best hunting bullet that will expand that close. Maybe I'm just over thinking it and any 6.5 hunting bullet will do it.
This!

143 ELD-X heart shot/boilerroom no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    790.9 KB · Views: 40
At those ranges, just about any 6.5 hunting bullet would work.

I hunted in South Carolina for about 10 years in small clearings and open crop land. Most of my shots were under 100 yards. I bought several brands of off-the-shelf ammo to see what worked best. I didn't have problems with any of the brands I tried, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

If you have a place where you can find some of the Norma ammo try the 156 Oryx. The factory ammo shot very well out of both of my 6.5 PRC's and I think the rounded tip would work great for close up shots. They are also making 140 grain Whitetail ammo now and the results have been very good from what I have read. Good Luck.

At 120 and in you'll be hard pressed to find something that won't work for you from the big names. Use what shoots well in your rifle or what's within your preference of say cup and core vs mono.

ELDX factory ammo is great, I'm partial to the LRX / TTSX personally. I've seen the Hornady CX factory ammo perform well too.

I've had the eld-x come apart pretty violently out of my 260 at those ranges. Try the SST's, cheap & they work.

My findings as well concerning the ELD X's.

But……the gentleman wanted expansion! My concern with the ELD X may be "lack of penetration" if used on a "raking" shot, due toit's seeming fragile nature! memtb