270 Weatherby Magnum Advice Needed.

Deerndingo

Hi All,
New here. Working on getting a 270 Weatherby Magnum in an Accumark. Was going for an UltraLight but not pleased with what I have read about lack of accuracy. No use having a long range round that shoots no better than over 5" at 400 yards.

Why 270 WBY Mg - 'cause I shoot a 270-308 and wanted something bigger. No use getting a 270 Win 'cause it only does a little bit more than what I have. A WBY Mg on the other hand does make a difference.

Got any tips or leads n such for the round?

Thanks

Well, I don't personally have the 270wby but my buddy has one in the rifle you speak of. His is plenty accurate enough for hunting at longrange. That said, I would look hard at the 270wsm instead. Plenty of factory 270 WSM rifles available in all shapes and styles to fit your needs. I have a half dozen or so 270cal rilfes and still want a 270wby to play with. The newer heavy weight bullets from Matrix and others. So, I do understand your desire for the 270wby. When I was loading the 270wby for a Moose hunt my buddy and I went on I noticed the the advantage the wby had over my wsm w/heavier 160 Part. nosler. The best advise I could give is look up BigandGreen's posts here! He's a wealth of 270 knowledge and has plenty of experience w/ 270's. I'm sure he'll chime in he's like a" moth drawn to light" when it comes to 270 posts. :)

Good luck and welcome,
Gene

I have shot the 270 wby since the mid 70's. Have a 26" and 28" barrel now. It is an excellent cartridgeand about the biggest you want to go in 270. It will outperform the 270 wsm by about 150 fps in the head to head tests we did at my range. Basically with 130, 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets your looking at 3450, 3350, 3250 and 3150 fps with a 26" barrel for absolute max loads in most rifles. Your accuracy loads may be less but it does like to shoot at max in most rifles. I use cci 250 primers for best loads in mine. Best powders vary with bullet weight. One of the best overall powders I have found for it for all bullet weights is Magpro.

Hi,
As said, its only really worth while getting a larger 270 if I go to the 270 WBY with the 26" barrel.

The two powders that show up as performing really well with a 150 grain pill are Norma MRP and Hodgdon H870. Neither are available in Australia.

How is reloading the rimmed case. I only reload normal cases to date. Are there any tricks or differences?

Thnaks.

I have shot the 270 wby since the mid 70's. Have a 26" and 28" barrel now. It is an excellent cartridgeand about the biggest you want to go in 270. It will outperform the 270 wsm by about 150 fps in the head to head tests we did at my range. Basically with 130, 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets your looking at 3450, 3350, 3250 and 3150 fps with a 26" barrel for absolute max loads in most rifles. Your accuracy loads may be less but it does like to shoot at max in most rifles. I use cci 250 primers for best loads in mine. Best powders vary with bullet weight. One of the best overall powders I have found for it for all bullet weights is Magpro.

All my 270 WSM's run at the velocities above with a 26in barrel, but I would add the 165 will run 3120fps and the 175 runs 3050's with accuracy node just a bit slower. I got better velocities with Magpro but no accuracy compared to Retumbo in the WSM's. I have yet to see the 150fps difference between the WBY and WSM!

All my 270 WSM's run at the velocities above with a 26in barrel, but I would add the 165 will run 3120fps and the 175 runs 3050's with accuracy node just a bit slower. I got better velocities with Magpro but no accuracy compared to Retumbo in the WSM's. I have yet to see the 150fps difference between the WBY and WSM!

Well, too late now. I've ordered the die set for the 270 WBY. I'd also say that I'm not a WSM/WSSM fan either.

So, what about reloading rimmed cases. Any thing I should do extra or such.

Thanks

The WSM is a pretender to the throne, get the Weatherby and you'll really have something.

There'll be guys who argue for and against any round you can think of. In my case I decided on a 270WBY over some other choices. For what I wanted I don't think I'll look back.

What I'm after now is experienced advice on reloading for Red Deer and pigs for that round in an Accumark. Pigs can be 140kg and Red Deer and smaller than Elk, but much larger than White Tail.

Thanks

The 270 WBY is on heck of a round, I grew up hearing stories of a couple local guys knocking the snot out of elk and if I didn't really like the WSM's I would be slinging these new high BC long range bullets out of a 270 WBY!!!

bigngreen, you have the wsm's dialed in for sure. When the 270 wsm first came out some guys brought theirs to my range and we shot them head to head. The wby's will actually get more velocity than stated above. I try to keep it as safe as possible for most rifles and some don't have the freebore. Head to head the wby averaged 100-150 fps faster at max loads which makes sense with the extra case capacity of the wby.

The wsm's are great cartridges and I like the 300 wsm and 6.5 wsm in my arsenal. I have found them to be great in betweeners from the 6.5-06, 270 winchester and 30'06 to the 300 magnums, 264 winchester and 270 wby. But I never got mine to shoot with the big boys with max loads in each. Close in some cases but never the equal.

Others like you may get other results. Not arguing with what you get just saying what I got with mine head to head. I have far more experience with all the old magnums than the new wsm's.

I have some great loads with magpro in the mid size magnums and some of my most accurate loads in some cartridges. Two rifles will shoot 1-1.5" groups at 400 yards with magpro. My son shot a little over 2" group with magpro at 625 yards getting ready for his antelope hunt with his 257 wby. It will shoot well in some rifles. My best load in my 300 winchester is with magpro shooting incredible velocity and accuracy.

The 270 WSM has its place. It is right in between the 270 Winchester and the 270 Weatherby. Both the WSM and the WBY are fine chamberings. The Weatherby wins with all bullet weights though. I have seen the numbers on different chronographs with different rifles. Anybody that tells you different is misinformed or is a 270 WSM owner. The two rifles fired in 24" barrels got closer in velocity but the Weatherby still trumped the WSM by at least 100 fps in all bullet weights. In the 26" barrels, the Weatherby really shined, topping the WSM by between 150 - 200 fps. You won't go wrong with either caliber. If you want the faster of the two, the Weatherby is your choice hands down.

The Weatherby will cycle rounds more smoothly as well. Killed A LOT of whitetails w/ a 270 wthrby and a 130 partion is extremely devastating at ranges beyond 400 yrds. Shoot a 130 Sierra GK at high velocity and you will rip deer size game in two.
I now only have the Win. 270. Seems it dose everything I want w/out the recoil, extra powder, and destruction on game. My long range rifle is a 300 Win. because it's so proven.

Deern, purchased my MarkV 270 Wby a few months ago. Still testing loads after finally getting dies and finding bullets and powder. Tried several powders, but mine likes H4831SC. Found 140 and 150 Bergers to see which are most accurate. This rifle fills the gap between my .257 Wby and 30/378. Will use as backup for both and primary for Mule deer. Good luck.

Is the 270 Wby "plenty enough" for big bull elk at 500 yards? The only reason I am asking is this is one of the calibers I am kicking around for a build.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.