270 weatherby magnum

argeea,

I've tried most of the slow burning powders in my 270 Wby and IMR7828 has easily provided the best combo of accuracy and speed with 130's. My go to load is 73.5, which yields 3400-3450, and is very close to max. My gun is a Mark V with SAAMI spec chamber and a 26 in barrel. Obviously each gun is different, but it seems the consensus among many/most 270 Wby owners is also the same as mine.

Last edited:
I have a WBY Accumark. Love it. It has taken many critters.
My load is 73gr RL22 130 Barnes TSX, Fed GM215M, OAL 3.360, MV 3450. Shoots sub MOA. Wish it had a faster twist so I could play with the heavies, like that 156gr Hammer.

I just got a 6.5 Prc and that's what I'm using in it also.
I have 16 lbs of it so should be good for a while.
Lucky you to have that much! That will probably be enough to go through 2 Magnum barrels. It has been very hard to find for quite some time now. Even before the "Plandemic". I am going to call Alliant and try to find out what the deal is.

TRM -
Can you offer us up some 270 Wby safe R26 starting load grains @ what bullet weights you have experience with. Thank You

TRM -
Can you offer us up some 270 Wby safe R26 starting load grains @ what bullet weights you have experience with. Thank You
My rifle is a Mcwhorter but seems to have the Wby freebore.
The tested load from Mcwhorter was 73 gr with 150 vld which was 3340 FPS in my gun which shoot awesome but I load 140 classic hunters for the Higher BC with 74 grains of RL26 and those are 3390 FPS and are crazy accurate.
You should be safe to start at 70 grains and work up with the 140-150 grain bullets .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts