270 Weatherby Magnum Advice Needed.

Is the 270 Wby "plenty enough" for big bull elk at 500 yards? The only reason I am asking is this is one of the calibers I am kicking around for a build.

With the right bullets? Absolutely.
However, it's probably on the lower edge of what I'd prefer to use at 500 yards.

I built one a couple years ago. Being a fan of 270win and 270wsm I figured I needed one. I have been more than happy with accuracy and performance on game DRT out to 500. But that was on Mulies and lopes, no Elk. I would just use heavy for cal bullets if Elk where my quarry and shots went 500 or more.

Gene R.

I have shot a 270 weatherby for over 34 years and have taken elk up to 940 yards back before good bc bullets and long range scopes were the rage. I now shoot 150 grain berger vlds and 165 grain matrix with h-1000 powder. I have also have owned a 270 wsm and liked it also but the weatherby edges it out

Is the 270 Wby "plenty enough" for big bull elk at 500 yards? The only reason I am asking is this is one of the calibers I am kicking around for a build.

More than enough for elk at 500, I've been loading the 165 Matrix for a few years and killed elk easily out to the 900 yard range, wound channels were very good and the hits were solid. Also shot elk with a 338 at those ranges and also had very dead elk and good wound channels.

I have been using a German Mark V, 24" barrel, for over half my life! I have shot Whitetail Deer and Groundhogs with it, nothing I consider long range.

It eats a hat full of IMR 4350, CCI 250 mag. primers, Nosler 130 gr. BT.. I have not checked the velocity in years, 3200 ++ fps.

It can be standing, walking, running, solid heart_lungs, it will go down, pronto. The trigger is the light switch, just turn them off......Have fun and enjoy

Hogginking

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.