270 Weatherby Facroty Load

bweber

I applogize if this has been covered. I tried to search for it, but the search feature just seemed to return every post anyone had ever done about handloading.

Anyway, does anyone have a load that approximates the 270 Weatherby factory load? My rifle loves the factory ammo, but shoots like crap with any reload I've tried. So I tend to shoot factory, but at $2 every time I squeeze the trigger it gets pricey. So I'd really like to find a good reload. I'm probably planning on sticking with the 150 grain bullets.

Alternatively, has anyone had success loading for this round? If anyone has a favorite load for it I'd love to try them out.

Thanks,

Ben

BEN

Weatherby has Norma load their ammo and the powder use
is proprietary ( and they wont tell you what kind or even
if it is even available ) I tried and got nowhere.

But you can get close if you work past max loads listed
VERY CAREFULLY: .02 (tenths at a time) and have plenty
of freebore (.300 or more) if it is a factory rifle
(Weatherby) it will have that much or more.

You can increase velocity by using moly coated bullets
but you must use loading data for moly coated bullets only:

Hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

Ben,
I have a Weatherby superbig game master .270 mag. I have found for a hunting bullet I use a swift A frame 150 grain with 69 grains of IMR7828ssc. I can get an inch pattern at 100 yards.
I also shoot 140 grain accubonds with 66.5 IMR4350 I do get a sticky bolt once in a while with this load. this also gets about an inch pattern at 100 yards.

Good luck Aaron

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of trying a faster burning powder like 4350. I do know that one of my reloading manuals suggested H4831, which surprised me a little.

I don't know how much freebore this gun has. I had it rebarrelled about a year ago and didn't think to ask. I guess I could measure it.

Funny thing is that with factory it will shoot about .5 inch all day long. (It has a 28" Krieger fluted heavy barrel on it, which I suppose helps.) But it just hasn't shot well with any of my reloads. All my other guns are the other way around. They've always shot mediocre with factory ammo, but I've been able to find a reload they like. My factory stock Remington 700bdl in 243win. will shoot about 5/8" with the reload I use for it. But I don't know a factory load that will shoot at all.

But I'll keep playing.

Ben

I load for my sons 270 WBM accumark and 77 gr of RL25 under a 130 TSX makes nice little cloverleafs. OAL is 3.3 primer is Fed 215M. I have tried many loads for this rifle but this is the best. It also has filled alot of freezers.
Gary

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to try RL22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advise. Norma uses MRP (RL 22) and MRP2 (RL 25) in alot of their loads.

Thanks guys. I may be tempted to try the r25. I worked with r22 for a while without much luck, so maybe going with something a little quicker makes sense.

I'm tempted to try IMR4350 too. But can anyone refresh my memory? Is the 4350 a substantially faster powder than r25?

Thanks,

Ben

140gr Sierra BTSP, Fed 215 and 71.5gr IMR7828. Reachs 3300fps but best accuracy is around 3200fps. The rifle is a Kleingunther K-15.

RE 25 has a SLOWER burn rate than does RE 22. IMR 4350 or H4350 is a little too fast for a 270 WBM. RL 22 with 73.5-74 gr with 130 gr Barnes X and TSX nets 3360 and 3400 fps respectively. I played with some IMR 7828ssc with some 150s in the same Mark V WB rifle with no such luck. Groups were in the 1.5-2.5" range. The 130 TSXs shot the best slightly beating out the plain 130 X with groups in the .3s and .4s. If you want to shoot heavier bullets than 130s, a general rule is to slow the burn rate as you increase the bullet weight. Just something to keep in mind. Best of luck!

Re: 270 Weatherby Factory Load

Hey, do you guys have any data for re 25 and the 270 Weatherby? I bought some of the powder, but now I can't seem to find any load data listed anywhere. Everything is for r22 or r19.

Thanks,

Ben

Re: 270 Weatherby Factory Load

They have 130 ABs now, they're new.

On the duplicating factory 270 Weatherby note. A good friend of mine wanted me to match the 150 grn Wea load in his Mark V. I achieved this w/ 71.5 grns R22 under the Hdy 150Grn SPILFBs (Same as Weatherby Spire Point loads)Weatherby brass and Federal GMM 215s were used. I roll crimped into the cann.

That load chronoed 3265 at 10-12' and shot less than an inch at 200. It is dynomite on whitetails.

I achieved the same velocity w/ IMR7828 but accuracy wasn't nearly as good(around MOA).

Good Luck

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.