Load for 270 Weatherby Magnum

Super Thirty

I have been working on building a load for my 270 Weatherby Mag. It's an older one with the lighter contour 24" barrell. I have tried Reloder 25 but the results have been underwhelming. This is the first time i have loaded for this caliber so any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks

I have used 71.5grns of H4831sc or 73grns of RE22 under 140 accubonds in weatherby brass at 3.375" and got around 3430 from a 28" barrel on a savage action. Both were accurate and showed no pressure, the 4831sc was more consistant than the RE22. Yes before I get bashed I know that according to all newer manuals these charges are "way over max", work up from about 5grns lower. Also know that most weatherby data is done with minimal freebore, if you are loading for a vanguard or MKV max book loads will leave you with something to be desired in the velocity catagorey. I love weatherby cartridges, and was told a good while ago by an older fellow that there is only one way to run a weatherby and that is wide open, for the most part he was pretty much right.

IMR 7828 works well in my 270 Weatherby and the my son's 270 Win. 140 grain AccuBonds for both.

In reading some of the experts here who shoot and reload far more than I do or ever will, as well as speaking with them on the phone one thing came across - the powder, primer, seating length, etc will fine tune a load but it's the bullet that a rifle will either "like" or "not like". Several bullets and a couple of powders later on my project rifle of this fall (7mm Wby, by the way) I have to agree with them.

So, I'd swap bullets before playing with powders. RL-25 or H-1000 (my favorite) or 7828 or H4831 will all work for you so pick one and go with it to start. Once you find the bullet that works then go from there and see if a new powder gets you a bit more speed or accuracy, or if a primer change tightens up your groups just a bit.

I could write a long post regarding what I did this fall. Even one of the pros on here was stumped as to what I should do next, but I followed his advice and tried yet another bullet. The results were amazing.

Others with far more experience may have a differing opinion and that's fine. However, their advice and my experience changed how I will look at working up a load going forward.

Thanks for the help. I have the powders mentioned and a couple of different bulets to try so I can hopefully find something that shoots well. Getting velocity has not been an issue but getting consistent accuracy has been the biggest problem.

Same thing here. I really, really wanted to shoot the 160 Nosler Accubond out of the rifle and tried powders, primers, seating depth, etc.

Eventually after other bullets tried Barnes 150 TTSX and WOW what a difference. Accurate over a 1.0 grain spread and I think I could fine tune it more but ran out of time before our hunt. The ladders and groups were all picture perfect.

Some rifle/bullet combos just won't cut it.

That is what Powder Valley told me Friday. I have 3 lbs. left, and only use it for hunting rounds, but I still have some on back order. Good luck.

another vote for 7828 in 270 WBY... it was most accurate with 130 SST and 130 IB in my gun w/velocity at 3475 @ 15 ft chrono; actually it was even more accurate when I went faster but the load was too hot for all around use when the temps increase in summer so I settled on 75.5 gr and the Fed 215M. It was the powder I started with when working up a load for the 140 Berger VLD; I set the OAL at max magazine length which in my gun is about 3.350 (pre 64 mod 70 Winchester with 26.5 in bbl; it used to be a 264 WM featherweight). The VLD shot sub MOA at 70,71,72, 73, and 73.5 gr. I settled on 73 gr 7828 and FED 215M @ 3330 fps. Using wby brass. I've only stretched the VLD load further than 100 yds on paper. I went out to 400 and the accuracy was still good. ES is pretty good at less than 20. The only other powders I tried with the SST and IB were RL22 and RL25. Both were accurate but slower. I think 25 would cook with heavier bullets than 130s.

Super Thirty,

With the .270 WTBY's powder capacity, you might want to consider the Matrix VLDs in 165/175grainers (BTW, it's Canadian just in case you didn't know - .277 Caliber Rifle Bullets Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics).

While fire-forming to .270 AI, I am pushing the 175grainer to 2919 FPS with 57.5gr of H4831SC, CCI CR, Win brass. I have 7828 SSC to try as I get the opportunity. Good luck!

BTW, SK is a beautiful country ... did a few wilderness fishing trips in Lac La Ronge area and this year we did Dore Lake. Lots of fun! :D

I'm. Going to elaborate on what everyone else has said, Imr7828ssc will give you the highest velocity in just about all the short weatherbys with normal bullet weights, but it will also peak real quick, doesn't give a lot of warning on pressure and if you use 7828 and max your load out, do it when its 70-80*, don't do it when its 30* and then try to explode a groundhog when its 85*, your rifle might explode instead.