270-300 Win Mag now feasible

I only found a couple small fragments; nothing over a grain of rice in size. It looks like most of the bullet material still exited, even though it completely fragmented. The doe in the picture with my son dressed 173 lbs. The internal bullet path was 16 1/4 inches.

Bergers are devastating, bergers at these proper velocities are an entirly deferent animal. The Cutting Edge Bullets i used had good expansion and penetration. I hope you dont hit a shoulder with a berger!

It appears every animal taken dropped in it's tracks! That is the best way!

If you need anymore help, you can pm me you know- so we can adequately field test the 270rm vs the 270 wm!

Scientific purposes only of course!

Looks like typical performance from the Bergers. Awesome terminal performance. I have similar pictures from my 270WSM with the 130 CLassic Hunter and VLD.

I am going to try the Trophy Bonded Tip bullets this year. I know what the Bergers will do but I have a large number of the TBT's and they were pretty accurate at 3320fps.

Are you using the 130 or 140 TBT? Does their BC match actual drop out to a 1000yds or so?
Thanks,
John

I have not yet done any long range testing. It is the 150g TBT(discontinued I think). BC is supposed to be in the .5's to .55 G1. I have 500 of them. The ballistic tip is not supposed to melt until around 434 degrees.

Heading to Colorado- hoping to go 4 for 4 with this cartridge!

At this rate a box of shells will last me 5 years!

Tally to date:

2 pigs + 1 elk = 3 shots

I have read the majority of the posts to this thread at some point, but don't feel like reading back thru them. I was looking at getting a barrel for my own 270-300 carry gun and was wondering what specs you guys would run. I want it to be a carry gun. I have a remington 700 300 win mag for the donor action. What twist and land configuration is working best. I have a bunch of 169.5 wildcats and 195's. So another 270 is just what I need.

I have read the majority of the posts to this thread at some point, but don't feel like reading back thru them. I was looking at getting a barrel for my own 270-300 carry gun and was wondering what specs you guys would run. I want it to be a carry gun. I have a remington 700 300 win mag for the donor action. What twist and land configuration is working best. I have a bunch of 169.5 wildcats and 195's. So another 270 is just what I need.

Wow! 195s? Can you post a pic?

I have a #6 and a Sendero profile, both 28" and both with flutes....

My most accurate is the Sendero profile with flutes. If you are shooting a 195 gr bullet..at least a 1-8 twist...does someone make a 1-7 twist?

What altitude are you shooting at?

270 Wby with a long mag box shooting the 170 Bergers @ 3225 fps, 1-9 twist, 3.5" COAL...28" barrel

I didn't have any rifle tags but the 150 TBT killed a 16" rock pretty dead at 600 yrds, B.C. seems to be close to the 150 Berger VLD.

We were out spot and stalking muleys(archery) and found a rock 600 yards out. First shot was slightly high,adjusted down to 8.5 moa and easy hits(I started with a lower BC and 9.5 moa). Let my buddy shoot it and he popped the rock, it was his first time shooting at a target past 100 yards ever. He lit up with a big grin! gun)

I had planned to shoot more and do some coyote hunting but we were kept busy chasing muleys with the stick and string. My other hunting partners located a den at about 863 yards with a couple pretty good size song dogs but we were out of communication range.

I am just above sea level for the most part. I will try and take a picture of the 195 next to some other bullets.

I went with the Pacnor Match barrel 1-8 twist. 28" 6 weight.

It is a full size gun and it isnt light. I think you could use a 5 weight and get good accuracy and weight combo. This rifle is much quiter than all the other rifles in my lasr hunting camp. I am soley guessing that it may be because most of it's powder is burned and i dont have a hiroshima fireball after each shot. I may be wrong as to why it is percieved as quiter, and if so, someone from hunting.net will correct me/ argue about it.