.264 WM, 6.5x284, or 6.5 WSM Opinions needed!

6.5x284.

Lapua brass, competition proven accurate, no forming brass, manageable recoil with no brake, a plethora of LR loading data available.

I agree the best bet is the 6.5x284. I have been around a few 264 WM that were very finicky and in the end didn't shoot any faster than the 284. I had a 6.5 WSM built that was very finicky and by the time I got a good load worked up the throat of the rifle looked terrible. I have seen numerous 6.5x284's still shooting well after 1000+ rounds. I am a 6.5-06AI fan myself.

You will need a .473 boltface for the 6.5x284. If you already have a magnum action just go with the WSM. I have built several for friends. I did not have any problems gettting them to shoot. 140 bergers in the lands in front of vv560. If you have a long action is is even better...throat that dude way out there so you have more case volume. The WSMs feed better in a long action that in a short IMO. I do awat with the stagger feed in short actions and go with the flat follower and extended wyatts box. Just buy 270WSM brass and Redding bushing dies. I cant recall busing size off the top of my head but one pass and your brass is ready. I would go with the 6.5-300WSM. I think some have gone with the 6.5-7WSM.

Pros and Cons? Which would you build, for hunting, and why?

You might want to consider my 6.5 Sherman cartride also. Pros: mag velocity with 10 grs. less powder, longer barrel life than .284, excellent case life. Cons: need custom dies, have to form brass.
I get 3150-3200 with 140 Bergers out of a 26" barrel.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.