.264 WM 130 grain bullets

Ckleeves

Hello everyone, just curious if anybody had any favorite powders for the .264 WM with 130's. My rifle should be done soon, and I'm eyeballing the new Hammer 131 grain.

I have found quite a bit of info on the 140's, but it seems harder to find much on the 130's.
I'll also take any info on 140's just to have more to compare to what I already have found. Thanks in advance!

Did you have it throated to SAMMI specs or a little longer? That was its problem when introduced. Most manuals have loads for 129 gr bullets or you could ask the guys at Hammer also. The 7 MM Rem Mag kind of put the fine little 264 Win Mag in its grave along with its throating issue.

I had the reamer ground with .199 freebore. Not sure if it was a great idea or not but if it doesn't work then I'll just have it set back and chambered with a SAMMI reamer. I'm feeding it out of a 3.700 mag box so I shouldn't run out of magazine space. I was kinda speculating on the Berger 156 when I ordered the barrel and reamer but that doesn't sound like it's real promising right now.

I would think with that throating you should easily be able to do the 131-137 Hammer Hunters. Hornady 143 ELD-X or even 160 Interbond for hunting bullets. Not sure how these would compare with 6.5 PRC velocities but sounds like your looking to hunt game not targets.

I use Retumbo with 130 gr Nosler Accubonds. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel that has a 9" twist. I average 3350 fps with sup MOA accuracy. This bullet is AWESOME on deer. Holds together even as close as 25 yards but still expands great a little past 500 yards which is as far away as I have shot a deer with it so far.

H4831sc still works.

Love the Hammers, but make sure you have the twist for the choice you make.

Yep. Wishing I would have done a 7 twist but it wasn't offered when I ordered the barrel so I went with a 7.5. Good to know on H4831sc, I have plenty of it and it's worked great in a few other cartridges.

I use Retumbo with 130 gr Nosler Accubonds. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel that has a 9" twist. I average 3350 fps with sup MOA accuracy. This bullet is AWESOME on deer. Holds together even as close as 25 yards but still expands great a little past 500 yards which is as far away as I have shot a deer with it so far.

Good to know on Retumbo. With 130's the data shows it pretty anemic but it seems real world it performs well with both 130's and 140's.

Anybody using 7828? H-1000? I have quite a bit of both.

C, always happy to see love for the .264WM. We really have had great results with H1000 and the 140's. Would agree H4831SC would be a starter for the 130's. A friend's daughter killed a nice mule deer with her .264 which we all enjoy hearing. For the Hammers, go with what Steve suggests since he would have the top data for his bullet. Good luck and keep the .264's flying.

Good to know on Retumbo. With 130's the data shows it pretty anemic but it seems real world it performs well with both 130's and 140's.

Anybody using 7828? H-1000? I have quite a bit of both.
I don't have a 264 Winchester but, if I did, my starting point with a 130 gr bullet would be with H-1000. I have a counterfeit 264 Win Mag with a 7" twist in progress and my plan is to try a heavier bullet and IMR-8133.

You said you had a reamer made with .199" freebore. I have to ask, did you choose that number because that is what a 6.5 Creedmoor has?

My 264 Winnie likes Retumbo with the 140 grain + bullets (VLD and MK) and both IMR and H4350 in the 130 grain bullets with the edge going to H4350. This is with sorted Winchester brass and Federal GM 215 primers. Rifle has a 26" 8 twist Wilson barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.